Turn 29 received

Hmm, thought we had more players interested in the game than seem to be showing up. :(

Shelbyville completes warrior, starts barracks.
Fort warriors in Springfield, Shelbyville. MP's are needed to keep happy without using lux slider. Shelby grows to size 3 next turn.
Exploring warrior needs one turn to fill in the map to the East. Then can continue East, or head NE once new map is being revealed, or even go more S to check the coast in that direction.
Curragh continues through Greek waters toward the other side. Perhaps we should at least informally get permission. :)

A few requests.

I see that you have set Shelbyville to build a barracks. I would prefer to build a few more warriors first. We urgently need 2-3 more explorers (one to go west, one or two to go north). Also we should consider the most likely role of our cities in the near future. The three we have now are all high on food, so they should probably spit out workers and settlers mainly. Good barracks towns could be founded along the river further north, where all the bg's are.

I would also like to construct at least one more curragh, to sail east along the coast. Preferably another one to go northwest. Exploration and finding rivals early is very important imo. Our capital can build a curragh in 2 turns right after the granary (just remember to switch from the forest to the bg the turn after the granary completes).
Then perhaps a settler, followed by another curragh.

Ditto on changing the barracks to a warrior. We need one more MP in the capital, and another mp in Shelby quite soon. We also need more workers, and changing Cruller to a worker would work just fine. Cruller will need a taxman or scientist in 2 turns.

The cap will have the granary down in 3 turns with growth in 6. It needs to grow to size 5 to run the settler factory. Granary-curragh-settler-something while it grows works fine for me. We need more work done here for the settler factory.

Shelby should make 4 shields at size 3. I wouldnt mind a worker or 12 out of there, but 6 turn settlers (need to check math on that) would be equally nice if Cruller becomes a full time worker factory.

Exploration
I think we can get by on only one more curragh, to be sent west and around the horn to the north. The first one will be going west to see if we are on the same landmass as Greece. If we send it east we might run into our first curragh

One more warrior going north would be the most I would put forth towards the inland exploration effort. There doesnt seem to be much to the west that needs exploring just yet. We have a warrior exploring in the east to find the coast if there is one.

We should have the new save in the inbox.

killercane said:
Ditto on changing the barracks to a warrior. We need one more MP in the capital, and another mp in Shelby quite soon. We also need more workers, and changing Cruller to a worker would work just fine. Cruller will need a taxman or scientist in 2 turns.

IMO we should use the lux tax to control happiness, not large numbers of warriors. Warriors should be used to explore, we really need to learn more about the world. Whoever finds all rivals first will reap large benefits. I hope I am not excessively criticizing, but we should have had a warrior going north ten turns ago.

Workers are really useful, but we also need to grow our towns to sufficient size to have them productive enough. It's a bit of a balancing act. I'll look into it a bit more later today.

The cap will have the granary down in 3 turns with growth in 6. It needs to grow to size 5 to run the settler factory. Granary-curragh-settler-something while it grows works fine for me. We need more work done here for the settler factory.

Very true. The settler factory can operate at 3.0 - 5.0, and needs another mined grassland.

Shelby should make 4 shields at size 3. I wouldnt mind a worker or 12 out of there, but 6 turn settlers (need to check math on that) would be equally nice if Cruller becomes a full time worker factory.

Perhaps a combination of both. The rule of thumb is about 1 worker per town. 4 spt is of course bad for a worker factory, so for that it should be slightly bigger perhaps.

Exploration
I think we can get by on only one more curragh, to be sent west and around the horn to the north. The first one will be going west to see if we are on the same landmass as Greece. If we send it east we might run into our first curragh

We definitely need one to go east as well, if only because our curragh at Greece may take quite some time to return. There are two civs up north, and we may need two curraghs to find them.

One more warrior going north would be the most I would put forth towards the inland exploration effort. There doesnt seem to be much to the west that needs exploring just yet. We have a warrior exploring in the east to find the coast if there is one.

One warrior north would be enough to find any rivals, probably. I wouldn't be too cheap here, we'll need some warriors up there as sentries anyway. There is land near the capital to our west that needs to be explored urgently for possible town locations. For example, there might be furs in the west part of our continent.

zyxy said:
IMO we should use the lux tax to control happiness, not large numbers of warriors. Warriors should be used to explore, we really need to learn more about the world. Whoever finds all rivals first will reap large benefits. I hope I am not excessively criticizing, but we should have had a warrior going north ten turns ago.

Lux tax is entirely wasteful compared to ten shields for a warrior.

Very true. The settler factory can operate at 3.0 - 5.0, and needs another mined grassland.
The sustainable 4 turn settler factory works from 4.5-6 using the cow, bg, irr wines, and mined river tile, picking up another irrigated plains at size 5. We are going to have to grow it up and then drop population until we can get the plains and river grass mined. We'll need 2 more workers to do that asap.

At Shelby, the third shield will be corrupted, and it would need 6 shields to be the worker factory/settler pump. So it would need to be size 5; it probably needs a granary soon, aided by a forest chop. Maybe we can find a bonus grass under the forest to give us 3 BGs there. We need workers immediately to do a lot of things.

We definitely need one to go east as well, if only because our curragh at Greece may take quite some time to return. There are two civs up north, and we may need two curraghs to find them.
You're right we do not want to skimp on finding everyone else. A second curragh after a settler would be fine. We can get by on just one more, but we need to grow the capital somewhat with all these shields. I just dont want two curraghs running into each other in the east with no where to go if our coastline and Greece's is the same.

killercane said:
Lux tax is entirely wasteful compared to ten shields for a warrior.

I guess we just have different styles then :). I prefer to get all those warriors out to explore, know my surroundings, and find my rivals. By finding the other civs, I increase my trading options and lower my research costs, which I think pays back for the lux tax. This is definitely true in SP (single player) games, but I would guess also in MP games.
Most of the top (SP) players on this forum seem to play this way, btw.

Most of the top (SP) players on this forum seem to play this way, btw.
More power to them! J/k.

But on a serious note, by combining our different playstyles I think we have something, ie running the settler factory at 3-5 using the next warrior as an mp will save the unavoidable lux tax at size 5 if running the bigger factory. We'll need to get that river forest roaded as well after the grassland mine-and-road.

Top Bottom