Turn 51-100

:cry: :mad: [pissed]

The Germans ended turn so I went ahead and moved in to meet the Spaniards. Turns out this is their Gold city, and it seems like their capital is to the northwest. Here's a picture.

Spoiler :

Then I ended turn and got the terrible news. Based on the score increase, RB was the team that completed SH. If we had gone all out, the best we could have done was tie T55, and they're #1 in the turn order, so there was nothing we could do. I set the build to a Worker, but I was really too stunned to properly think about what to do there. I should have stopped the worker from finishing the chop, so the real turnplayer please remember to do this.

Amazingly, we are the first team that the Spaniards have met, as we got their full 4 EP's on us. I put our own full Espy on the Spaniards, but didn't realize we were so close to getting WPC's graphs (within 10 or 12, I think). Maybe we should get their graphs before switching everything over to the Spaniards.

Espy ratio with the Spaniards:
Spoiler :

Here's an overview shot of all lands with culture turned on:

Spoiler :

Yes, I think our next message to them should congratulate them on both founding Hinduism and completing SH. This means they're going to have a MAJOR culture advantage on us in our border area, so we really do need to get our Stone city settled soon.

Edit: I think they built this in Focal Point. If they settled this city on top of their Copper, they would have 5 forests to chop without needing to pop borders. It was not in their capital since they only had 10 hammers into a build on T54. It could have been built in Mansa's Muse using overflow from that 2-pop whip they just did.

Yes, I think our next message to them should congratulate them on both founding Hinduism and completing SH. This means they're going to have a MAJOR culture advantage on us in our border area, so we really do need to get our Stone city settled soon.

I will make a draft to them tomorrow, and include that. I am a bit surprised to be honest about how aggressive they play the initial game with so many civs having early UU advantages. They're not making friends this way, that's for sure (and on that note, perhaps we should not be so sad about losing both Hinduism and SH to them after all, as the other teams will truly consider them a threat now), and we can use that when the time is right.

Damn, damn damn RB! I was first looking at the civstats scores before reading the thread and was amazed how much points they have above all others. Just when I came here, I realized where their points came from actually :(

Despair not, my friends, the game is long and early points may means not much later on. I am definitely amazed we have lost the SH to RB. On the other hand, the team we fear most building it proves my position that SH is indeed very valuable. Small comfort, sigh...

RB are doing really great with the score so far no doubt, but most of the games those who have big scores in the beginning are not those who win the game at the end. I have saw for myself that I usually start with very low score and just after rise to the top. Will see in-game real graphs from my games to be sure.

So, we hit the rock at our two big projects till now. Lets assess what we have done well and where we have failed.

wins:
1. we have met the most teams out of our neighbors, which can give us tech discount bonuses and what is most important - edge in the diplomatic scene.
2. we have won all our fights with barbs
3. we are working our FIN cottages and pleasantly watch them grow

loses:
4. we are slight behind in city count and citizens working
5. we had lost 2 projects who have no second place prize to RB
6. we are still not working our gold

So, lets use our existing advantages

1. We continue to explore meeting more and more teams to get that bonus on techs. We forge alliances and start to think how to use them in ways which suits our team. Like maybe dogpiling some smart a$$es :yumyum: ?

2. Continue to play cautious and try building sentry net around our lands. Both for barbs fogbusting and for watching the approaches to our cities.

3. We continue to work them and build as much more cottages as we can. As Civilopedia says, "they might start small, but once matured you will be glad you built them" :D

and work heavily to remedy our weakness:

4. Whipping/chopping settlers to claim and work all the good land available. Build granaries everywhere, so our population grows fast and we have plenty of citizens working strong tiles.

5. See which projects we want and go for them at our best. Projects which I see include the GW and the Pyramids (with stone), and Monotheism. Those work good in synergy because of the tech paths. Alternatively, we go for writing and libraries - this secures us from someone stealing our prize.

6. Thats easy - we use the settler from Mantra to build and work it.

Most important - dont get angry or despair. We play our game, stay strong and keep our eyes open for opportunities.

On the plus side. That fail gold = 11 turns of deficit research at our current levels. That gets us AH one turn sooner. We can also get our next tech a few turns sooner as a result of that extra gold.

I also see we've got another barbarian warrior to deal with. They just seem to love us don't they? AlanH isn't ready for another battle and our warrior in Indira can't move without making our capital unhappy. We may need to produce a new warrior in Terasvin to handle this.

Yep. The failgold is one plus in this situation. Also, to those concerned much about our low score, we have 2 technologies we can finish in the next 5 turns and 2 more cities to settle soon.

Damned barbarians! This new barb warrior is messing with our whole plan. And slowing us significant. We will need to pull out the warrior from Indira to defend our mine I think. Or we are ready to lose it?

I set the next build for Indira as settler and switched some tiles to allow Terasvin grow. Can we discuss this please? I am not sure how we must proceed here. My great desire is to have Granary in Terasvin as fast as possible and grow it to size 5 (6 with the gold) and maybe whip whip whip it for 2 and 3 pop whips, while working hammer tiles while waiting the unhappyness to fade.

But with this new barb, we must put hammers in to warrior, so granary moves away to like 8-9 turns.

Anyone?

What if we move AlanH 9 this turn. Then next turn, if the barbarian enters our borders, Ainwood moves 1 to defend on the hill. Hopefully he draws the attack of the barbarian and wins. Alan H can move into Indira to stop unhappiness.

Even with that plan, I'd still lean towards building a warrior though. We need some if we're going to send the setters out of Indira and Mantra. Otherwise we're taking a bigger risk against barbarians.

Potentially, we could also recall Padma to be one of our defensive warriors for these new cities. He can be at the eastern gold city site in 7 turns. This would slow down our progress on meeting other teams, but depending on how the map is shaped, there may not be a nearby team for him to find.

I agree 100% with moving Alan 9 to prepare for garrison duty in Indira, and building a Warrior next in Terasvin. I would even use the new Worker (needs a name) to build a road 2 from Indira so that Ainwood can move directly onto the PH if the Barb moves in closer.

A monument is absolutely crucial in Mantra as the immediate build, as it will make both this city and our next city much more productive with two more food resources. I guess the other option would be to chop an immediate monument in our Gold city, but that delays getting the animals in our borders for some time. Also, we should probably put the city on the PH for the defensive bonus, in which case we would want border pops in both cities.

If we pull the Warrior (Ainwood?) out of Indira, Indira'll go into happiness, right? What sort of delay will that bring?
1 turn of unworked floodplains tile worth 3f/3c. Not the end of the world, yet not like something completely negligible.

What if we move AlanH 9 this turn. Then next turn, if the barbarian enters our borders, Ainwood moves 1 to defend on the hill. Hopefully he draws the attack of the barbarian and wins. Alan H can move into Indira to stop unhappiness.
I am considering moving Alan too. Just not sure if the barb will move in reach of the northern mountain or he will approach more eastward towards the southern mountain or even Terasvin. Maybe we can still put the hammers in Terascin in a Granary and depend on a 1-turn chop to build emergency warrior if the barb moves there? Till now we had luck with the barb behavior and RNG, maybe this time this luck of ours continue?

I agree 100% with moving Alan 9 to prepare for garrison duty in Indira, and building a Warrior next in Terasvin. I would even use the new Worker (needs a name) to build a road 2 from Indira so that Ainwood can move directly onto the PH if the Barb moves in closer.
This is very safe plan, definitely worth considering. I can propose even safer plan with moving Alan directly towards the southern hill right this turn. Or we can rely on our (so far good) luck with barbs behavior while keeping our best micro plan intact. This is to move Ainwood to the hill expecting that the barb will close the hill and next turn attack and lose. We move Ainwood back in Indira. Problem solved. In the meanwhile Terasvin is 4 turns away from a granary, Indira is working our next settler, Nabaxo and the New Worker are improving the cows. Anyone to test the probabilities?

A monument is absolutely crucial in Mantra as the immediate build
I was thinking of this too. But maybe we can squeeze the granary before this? Actually we need the border pop-up for working only the cows (and some chops but later) if we are gonna settle the gold city where I am thinking we will. Do we decided on its location or we need to discuss/brainstorm this?

Now I see the last dotmap location of the Gold city was NE (9) of the gold. I think a better or at least equal location could be if we settle the Gold city E (6) of the gold on the plains hill. We lose one floodplain, but we gain 2 green tiles and few forest (can someone please login and provide a screenshot from the actual game), while leaving 1 or 2 mountains out of the BFC. Plus, we dont need immediate monument, as we will grow the Gold city on the pigs in the first ring. We can postpone the monument at least for after Mantra gets granary.

In 5 out of 5 simulations in WB, the barb just went south and disappeared :) Can we get that lucky?

Do the cities in the world are enough count that the barbs will aim for 2 tiles deep improvements? If no, then we know where the barb can enter our territory and that is on the southern mine. My suggestion is we move Alan NE waiting to see if we will need him to garrison Indira for MP. The new worker start road S of Indira to be able to finish the road so Ainwood to get on the southern hill if the barb comes nearby. Nabaxo moves and start cottage a riverside grassland 2S of Indira just not to lose the turn. LP and Hush start mine the plain hill W of Mantra.

Grant, are you around or your trip already started and I have to play that turn?

Even better, Nabaxo must finish his chop of tundra forest and the chop to go in to granary in Terasvin, leaving only 2 turns to finish the granary. If the barb comes east to possibly threaten Terasvin, we can have a 2-turns warrior, which will be ready to defend right when the barb is able to attack. Also, we have 1 forest between Indira and Terasvin which can be cut in each of those cities giving 1 more almost instant warrior for protection if we need it.

I like 2metra's suggestion for the workers and Terasvin (chop out a granary, then build a warrior or two). Just keep in mind we probably still are short on workers, so we'll want one or two more pretty soon. I suppose finishing Mantra's granary while chopping / whipping the settler is ok, too, but we definitely want to get some culture there soon! I think everyone agrees Indira needs to go settler now for our copper city. Is there anything else we need to decide before we play the turn?

Right now not, maybe we can initiate discussion about our Gold city2 position?

Top Bottom