Turn Discussion

cav scout

The Continuum
I thought I would start this thread up and see if people are interested in using it.

First issue I would like to raise is: which route should our first workboat take?

I have plotted two possible routes (see attached screenshot). I prefer the one in red since this gets us to a known landmass as soon as possible. What do you guys think?
--------------------------

Also, for our turn players- when posting screenshots in the turn tracker thread could you turn the tile yields on? It really helps people who don't log in to see what tiles our cities are working.

I can't honestly see anything to suggest one route over the other, I'd vote for whatever the turn player prefers.

Wait, what suggests that yellow is possible? That didn't look like coast, but ocean to me - which is why we'd also had some discussion over if we maybe needed to squeeze in a fourth city to expand culture over there. But if it is coast that makes things easier later though I'd still send it in the red direction.

Hmmmm, in the screenshots it looks to me like that is a coastal tile in the fog there. I might be mistaken though as I haven't logged into the game yet. If it is ocean then founding our 2nd city 5W of Continuum works perfectly though, as this is a great city site anyways. We would get passage ability on the border pop... if only there was a way to get a monument there quickly... :D

Either way, I agree that the red route is the best way to go initially.

Yeah, of course there is coast, I didn't mean I didn't see there could be some island/landmass there, but I think there's a one-tile ocean buffer all around it. But the red-path for the workboat looks more obvious and decently promising anyway - for one, that other landmass has a river on it so at least suggests it has some size to it, and also makes sense metagame with the possibility of chains of islands out from our capital, or one "central continent hub."

Seems like going the red route with our first workboat is what we've decided on. Any objections?

What is our next build- another workboat? If so where will we send it?

Just a reminder guys I am stepping back from turnplaying now. Whoever gets to play next has an exciting turn: move the worker to mine the silver and a shiny new workboat! I set the capital to build another workboat, but can be changed with no shield loss if the team wants.

About our micro- did we switch to working both wheats before hitting end turn? It looks like we didn't based on the demographics (reminder: it would be much easier to see with yields turned on for screenshots like you did for the previous turn :) ).

Who will be stepping up for turn player next? (I can't play turns atm)

I recommend the following actions:

1. Move workboat E, NE
2. Move worker SE, SE to silver
3. Set Continuum to work both wheat tiles
4. Continue building a second workboat
5. Switch to Myst- we don't loose anything holding off on BW for a few turns since we don't need copper or chops right now. (tentative idea for further discussion)

Of course work the wheat imo. Also work the spices tile when possible (when we still have unimproved silver but 3 pop or 4 pop) rather than a 1 food tile.

Arrgh I hate not being able to log in and take a look for myself. I can't tell from the screens whether switching to the new wheat would have gotten us to pop 3 a turn faster or not... water under the bridge now of course.

Moving Forward- I assume Galdarian is saying we should continue working the spice for the next two turns (until we pop) to get 2x :commerce: at the expense of the food gained from working the 2nd wheat right away. So I guess it's a question of 4:food: vs 2:commerce:? In the short term working the spice does make the most sense. But would the extra food wrapping over influence the next pop? If we can get to pop 4 one turn quicker we start working our second silver mine one turn quicker $$$$.

Is anyone test gaming? I've found that is great tool for working out the micro in advance.

EDIT: Oops, I assumed wrong- you meant working the unimproved silver for two turns (choosing 6:commerce: over 6:food:). That's tempting for the short term, especially if we are racing for a tech. But I would say working the 2nd wheat and growing as fast as we can pays off much better in the long run.

I've added the city screen if that helps.

City growth will be in 2 turns (we're @ 16/24) regardless of working the 2nd wheat tile however IF we do work the 2nd wheat Mysticism will be 5 turns as opposed to 4. It'll take 6 turns to 1st mine (5 from next turn).

Ergo either way we go it's 2 turns till we're working all three of those tiles. The opportunity cost of working the wheat is losing a turn on Mysticism which may be the difference between getting Stonehenge and not.

Wait, what? I thought we're not getting Stonehenge anymore? If so then I guess this is understandable, and if there is a majority for Stonehenge I'm not opposing the decision, but I thought we'd just set ourselves on another workboat? Anyway, I am almost certain from all the test games I ran this will slow down our growth at pop 4 or 5 by a turn or two, trading :food: for :commerce: and if we have confusion on what we're teching (if it's not SH then we don't need tech like immediately) let's sort that out.

How about this:

1. Work both wheats and then the spices before working the unimproved silver.
2. Finish Myst in 5 turns, Finish BW in 2-3 after that.
3. Finish 2nd workboat in 7 turns, then either:

a. start Stonehenge and finish with chops once 2nd silver mine is complete
b. build warriors until pop 4, then switch to a settler

This is kind of a compromise position that makes the best of our current situation. If we go for Stonehenge after we finish the 2nd wb we will win it- if the other teams have passed on it up to this point like I'm thinking. But if another team has been going for it since the start then working the silver to get Myst 1 turn earlier probably won't make a difference.

Can someone test game this plan and the Myst asap plan and see what the results are?
-----------------------------

Oh and we haven't talk about switching to slavery yet right? Are we going to and if so when do we revolt?

Ok, I've ended turn and started the next.
Moving the WB one space reveals ...(screenie)

Anyone object to going south??

Attachments

• Turn 24 - Workboat.jpg
    Turn 24 - Workboat.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 219
Top Bottom