1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn/timeline changes

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, May 1, 2017.

1. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Well, AFAIK DoC has even longer wait times between turns in the lategame.
    SoI is in a great position in this regard - while the map size is more or less the same as in RFCE, it has much less room for cities and units, thus significantly faster in the lategame.
    Keep going? The mod didn't get any slower (at least not significantly) in neither version 1.4 nor 1.5.
    The last bigger drop in performance was in 1.3, when 6 new civs were added, as adding those also resulted in a much higher map density.

Also, wasn't it clear already that I try to be as careful with bigger additions as possible?
    Just check back how this conversations started: you suggested to increase turn number to a much greater extent, and I said I don't think we should have more than 600.
    The point is, while I'm far from being a pro in this regard, I always try take performance questions into consideration too.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Well: its pretty ok in the beginning like 2-3 sec / turns
    in the 13rd century its start to get slower, like 6-10 sec / turns
    by 1400-1450 it goes up till 30-60 sec / turns
    next break is in ~1600 then 2-5 min / turns
    at ~1700 it is 5++ mins
    and in 1760+ its get a bit more slower :D

Well, I used to think in the meantime. If i have a war its ok, i have time to sharpen my strategy and imagine what will be my next move, where to strengthen my presence ect.
    In peace time its boring and usually i go dreaming on my future plans with that civ. or wait for uhv like with sweden or england (that's painful).

If you accept an advice? If a civ gains full sight of the map. (no fog of war) Then they should shut down ALL scouting units, guide them in city/harbour. that would speed up lategame a lot. Also military tactical movements take a lot. AI moves their units non-stop. Player move them by stacks. Try to teach AI. :)
    Respawning civs makes my turns double longer to w8.
    IMO not the number of cities, but the number of units moved UNNECESSARILY. makes it goddamn slow. And some MAF too.

3. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

AI coding is way more complex than that.
    I can't just adjust it the way I would like to, there are a lot of interdependent things.
    Also, what and where to code for the desired effect is usually not straightforward at all.
    I tried to improve a couple smaller aspects every now and then (and will continue to do so), but rewriting some of the very basic AI behaviours like when and where to handle various unit movements with stacks or independently (and especially all the stuff which is based on unit movement) is a very hard task even for full gaming companies.
    Just check the AI in Civ V or VI...

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  4. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Oh, i see. thats bad news.
    other idea: can you tell AI do not move military units at all in every 3 turns during peace? :D

Edit: ofc not, but maybe you got the idea what i wanted to say.