Turnplay Log

1765ad, The Day the Sun Came to Sirian

First task, decline the trades from Aloha and Epsilon.

Second task, declare war and survey the damage from lost trade:

Third task, scout Epsilon's cities, and decide where to hit for maximum pop and production damage. I really hemmed and hawed over hitting Mighty Bulwark. But in the end I decided that because it was a large population center, it had to be hit even though it was building the UN.

Top Secret Satellite Imagery of Nuclear Exercises
I light one off on their capital, Epsilon Eridani
Pre Nuke:

:hmm: that didn't really do as much damage as I had hoped. Better whack it again! :evil:

Let's take out their production powerhouse, which was capable of 200:hammers: without resource modifiers :eek:

Now to take out their Military city (Heroic epic and all that):

Let's keep them from Uranium, just to be safe :shifty:

We really lucked out there - fallout on the uranium!!

Population Loss Assessment:

Epsilon Eridani 20 - 19 - 17 = -3
Mighty Bulwark 21 - 19 = -1
Immortal Keep 19 - 17 = -2
Overlook Bay 17 - 10 = -7
Total: -13 (roughly 5% of their pop, I'm guessing)

Here's a shot of the demographic screen to compare with next turn:

And the power graph:

From this assessment it is clear that they have some sort of damage mitigation in place in some cities. Bunkers, maybe? :dunno:

Other Events of Note
Epsilon has a counter strike prepared in the eastern sea:

It is the opinion of this committee that we will lose Leonidas and Henryville to The Leader's forces before we get the save back. If they are smart they will raze the cities. Otherwise we have a slight chance of taking them back. Some forces are being moved into position for that, and the workers in the area have been evacuated.

Finances:
We have 814 gold, @ +518 gpt. I spent 546 rushing a nuke in Hamburger. At the beginning of next turn we will have 1 nuke and 789 gold. We will be able to cash rush in any of the following cities:
Phooey
Zapotec
Balderdash
Treacle Cottage
*Leonidas if Epsilon takes our peace offer

Diplomacy at the end of the turn:
Innovia I don't see much point in continuing the war against them, and they've got some gold that we could really use.

Epsilon I take all I can get. I had considered asking for cities, but there's no way we could hold them with the troops we have, so what's the point?

Aloha Those jerks. They got a bunch of techs from Epsilon. We want them all. And their cash. And their goods.

Nice work Peter. It was fun to see some glow.

Tears of joy. You have given me a bright spot to what was before a crummy day, peter. And that bright spot is the radioactive fallout from all those ICBMs.

Well done, sir!

Thanks, KillerCane! :)

I really wish I had a better computer to play on. I have to have all the graphics settings on low, and animations off, &cet. Even so, the game frequently hiccups for minutes on end here and there. Too bad we didn't get to see those beautiful columns of ash and dust rising above their cities :sad:

I've seen some videos on YouTube of CIV nuclear strikes. Any idea how they grabbed the video?

Well done, Peter! :thumbsup:

Population Loss Assessment:
Epsilon Eridani 20 - 19 - 17 = -3
Mighty Bulwark 21 - 19 = -1
Immortal Keep 19 - 17 = -2
Overlook Bay 17 - 10 = -7
Total: -13 (roughly 5% of their pop, I'm guessing)

From this assessment it is clear that they have some sort of damage mitigation in place in some cities. Bunkers, maybe? :dunno:
:hmm: Evidently Electricity brings with it a 100-hammer Bomb Shelter that mitigates 75% of the damage from a nuclear strike. Seems they are allowable once Manhattan is completed. I guess we should have struck Epsilon sooner. :sad: Which we probably could have, had Aloha been in on the deal ...

I'm not sure we could have, to be honest. We were originally slated to hit them in 1760, and we hit them in 1765 instead. We only delayed a single turn. In hind sight, I should have seen that coming and targeted medium-sized cities that they would not have held as high-risk.

Next turn we'll have only a single nuke, which has Aloha's name on it. That is, unless they take our peace offer :p

1770 AD, The Fallout continues....

Epsilon took 3 of our cities:
Leonidas,
Conrovia,
Henryville

It is likely that they will take Brilliant! this turn. All military forces in the area have been evacuated to deny Epsilon the xp from a needless slaughter. On the way, a couple brigades of cannons pounded some Epsilonian infantry and marines stationed on a hill. The cannons didn't survive, but, owing to their sacrifices, our cavalry was able to clear the hill. There are no Epsilonian forces marauding within our borders. However, it is unlikely that we will be able to retake our cities without mustering infantry. We're still in full ICBM mode, so no infantry for a little while.

Innovia and Aloha accepted our trades :)

Epsilon didn't.

We were able to rush 3 ICBMs this turn:
Balderdash (492 :gold:)
Phooey (453 :gold:)
Zapotec (393 :gold:)

we're pulling 520 gpt, with another 22 from pillaging one of The Leaders towns outside of Sunset Fortress :p

Then we hit them with our War Hammer. I chose a spot with lots of population, that was unlikely to have a Bomb Shelter.
Before the Strike:

After:

We cut their pop in half :salute:
I would have liked to see more fallout, but such is life ;)

Ending the turn, I give Epsilon another chance:

Yeah, they sure do! When we hit their capital, we only scorched about 5% of the pop with each nuke. But when we hit Short Line, we killed off 50%! :eek:

I have very little experience with war in the late game, but this shows me that if an enemy has nukes, you don't need to worry about the pop so long as you put in a Bomb Shelter and research Ecology.

So far, we haven't seen any fallout on ocean. That means that we can't spoil their oil. Even if a nuke takes out their offshore platform, they may have another workboat ready to go: we can't afford to nuke their oil every turn. Some turns we'll have more than one nuke available, but usually we'll only have one :sad:

1775, The Year of Famines

I declined all the diplomacy from the other teams, and opted to Abstain from the Secretary General vote. In hindsight, I should have voted for Epsilon, just to show them that we will follow through on our promise to support them in a Diplomatic Victory. Oh well, it's really not that big of a deal :)

We start the turn with 3 nukes, and end the turn by rushing 1 more. We should be able to rush another one on the following turn, depending on whether or not we lose Hamburger and Chappaquiddick. It's hard to make predictions on the gold we'll have at that point :crazyeye:

Enough chit-chat - let's see the fireworks!!

The Attack on Dune:

The Attack on Delhi:

The Attack on Park Place:

That was most likely the last great bit of damage we'll be able to do. From this point on, every Nuke we get will be a gift from the Gods. :worship:

One of the things I really enjoyed was the Top 5 Cities screen:

I also took a shot of the demographics screen, to compare with how things stood just before we declared war. Does the population of a revolting city count towards the total? :dunno:

Population in 1765: 55.7 million
Population in 1775: 44 million (after 12 nukes)

We've wiped out 1 in 5 Epsilonian Citizens!! :dubious: :trophy:

Issues for next turn

-We'll have one more nuke. I'll continue to look for cities that are high in population with luxuries nearby. We had bad luck with the fallout during this round - hopefully we'll do better next turn ;)
-I'm hoping Chappaquiddick is still ours next turn, but I doubt it will be. I've got forces in place to hold them from Treacle Cottage (they are just advancing a single marine), so our non-coastal core is safe for now.
-When should we stop trying to build ICBMs? I think that we're only likely to get about 3 more, total, for the rest of the game. I built an artillery in Balderdash with the overflow from the ICBM. I'll always look to get a 1 turn unit from overflow, whenever possible. Other than that we've got some older units that could upgrade, but that detracts from ICBM rushing cash. :hmm:
-Should we send any diplomacy this turn? I think our actions are speaking fairly loudly on their own :lol:

Never trust the Aztecs with nuclear weapons or something like that. It's all over at this point so I think we just keep nuking. They'll run right through us regardless.

Update will come a little later (maybe as late as tomorrow). Work is busy, and the save just took me a whole hour :eek:

We nuked another city, doing 10pop points of damage :cool:

They didn't take mroe cities, as they had boasted. They will attack Balderdash, but we should be able to hold. They may also attack Twaddle, but we should hold again.

We rushed another nuke - assuming we hold Twaddle. I was hoping we could then rush another one next turn, but War Weariness is hammering us, so instead of the nuke taking 9 turns, then 8 after hitting enter, it actually went up to 10 turns :mad:

God I've been bad about this, but yet again I don't have time to get the update published just now. I can do it tomorrow. We will lose two cities (hamburger and twaddle :(), I rushed a nuke with Aloha's name on it, but I didn't revolt. I didn't want to risk not getting the nuke for next turn.

So next turn we'll smack Aloha's capital, revolt for two turns to Military techs. I really think we're going to be able to make it to the end! :)

Here are some shots from the turn:

Domestic Adviser

Military Adviser

Proposed Civics change

Aloha targeting map

Southeast Theatre

Northeast Theatre

Northwest Theatre

There are a few other units wandering around, but these are the major threats. The wandering units are a solitary machine gun in the far west, four marines in the north east in the rubble of Balderdash.

1800AD: The beginning of the End

As agreed, we cast our vote for Epsilon! for the Diplomatic Victory.

We're down to three cities, and Epsilon is bringing about 10 tanks in against us. All the troops guarding Tubby's have been evacuated in anticipation of a nuclear strike. If things go the way I hope :please:, then Epsilon will roll into the town, leaving all the units on the city tile. I'm hoping the city can then be nuked. But since our cultural boundaries will be on the adjacent tiles, I'm uncertain if this will work.

Here's our domestic adviser:

Here's our miltary adviser:

Here's a shot of us after we come out of anarchy:

I'm hoping that we'll be able to hole up in Eppieville long enough to see the end of the game :sad:

Well, at least our city maintenance costs are finally under control! :shifty: :lol:

Post-Victory Turn:

I retreat all units to Eppieville. We'll make our final stand there. :salute:

If we're going down, we're taking them with us! So we finally nuke Aloha, polluting two tiles and knocking 2 population off their boastful city. ;)

Peace proposed to both teams, offering Rocketry as reparations.

Screenshots will be posted tomorrow.

Is there a way for me to post the replay for you guys? I have no experience with that.

Top Bottom