Turns 101-120

the good thing is that they may not have the money to upgrade a whole lot of MIs short term. that is, if the Eagles do not fund them.

so very short term some military action might still be possible. but i would call it pseudo-action, and honestly it is not very important whether you can destroy another outlying town. only on their morale and thus their aggressiveness in a counter-attack.

because you need to buy time in my eyes. these troops you have will not burn their capital. rather play defense soon, do not lose precious units, but stop building too many new ones, too. you now need settlers, markets, and the Glib!

funding the Küche is very important. i followed the deals and discussions only little lately, but by what i grasped you do have quite some obligation. you should not create the feeling with them that you do not stand by your deals. thus the settlers and markets, they allow you to fulfill your obligation!

military goals do not.

t_x

Exactly what I'm saying, thanks for your support, templar!

We can no longer make real progress without running a severe risk of heavy losses. Therefore we retreat into defensive positions and let them get a bloody nose, if the try to attack. This buys time, and we just wait for Cavs.

I said few turns ago that we can't continue war, pay to Kuche 100 gpt and build TGL.
Why not? We have more towns/population, less corruption and no Despo penalty, so we should easily be able to produce more units without needing our gold. They can't cash-rush, and if they pop-rush, they loose precious population and run into happiness problems. (And they don't have enough food for efficient pop-rushing.)

Put question to Kuche that way. With Eagles support of Anarhos they should make a choice.

I do not understand why we ow 3500 to Kuche? We will get techs from TGL...
Only up to Education. Perhaps Invention. But certainly not all the way up to MT. (The Eagles are already working on Education.) Getting these techs from the Küche at half price, is a very good deal.
And also consider the most important aspect of this deal: it binds the Küche to us and will lead sooner or later into a Küche/Eagles conflict (why would they otherwise want to make the cooperation with us and not with the Küche...?). This is very important, as otherwise we always have to fear an invasion from the other continent, while in the middle of another war... But if we have a latent rivalry between Küche/Eagles, the Eagles will be busy on their own continent and can't easily risk an invasion.
This is the most important reason, why I want to execute the transaction with the Küche! (And as a nice side-effect we get Cavs as fast as possible and can then deal with the Anarchos...)

I asked you to work out "ultimatum" in better shape but you did not. Now you argue that "things do not work". They will not work due to "mechanics of the game".
I wanted to. But I've been working late hours almost every day, I had to bring the kids into bed, I had the flu for a couple of days, and when I finally logged on here after a long day, you had already posted the message.
But it doesn't matter: the message was ok, they would not have accepted even with "nicer words"... Because they realize quite well, that their only chance is to beat us now. If they let us catch up, we will sooner or later come back and beat them for good...

we can't put all barracks Cities for long project like markets.
We can do it "one after the other". And once we see the Anarchos advancing and think we need more units, we can immediately rush the market and go back to unit production.

Kuche must understand, that if "matter of survive" will pop up again we will not support their project.
I already told them that and it's ok. If an emergency pops up, we can stop the payments any time we want, I already got this agreement from justanick.

But for the plan to work, we must make sure that the Küche can enter 4-turn research asap. So they need lots of gold now for libraries. Later it won't help them. For us, gold is more important later (when we can do Cav upgrades... :D)

If we need gold for speeding up an important settler or market, it's ok to pay only 50 for a turn or so. But in general we should strive for maximum payments! Otherwise we will neither get Cavs quickly nor keep our close alliance with the Küche. Hope you understand how important that is from a strategic point.

I will try to find out, how much gold exactly they need for starting 4-turn research.

Exactly what I'm saying, thanks for your support, templar!

i merely uttered my opinion. to give support is limited to team members. :old:

t_x

Nevertheless it helped me a lot to see that we have the same opinion on that matter. :goodjob:
(I wished we had always agreed like this on the difficult problems of the past... :( What a game we would have now.)

well, we failed to take iron before Feudalism. As I understood you have negotiated 80 "gpt".
Anybody saw save?
I think we have to perform massive retreat.
What their settler doing? what a pity, that no galley in range...

Taking a look now. :scan:

Ok.
As I understood you have negotiated 80 "gpt".
No, I told them we can't pay too much after GA, because we are paying almost 80gpt unit upkeep...
However, justanick is open to many possibilities and realizes that we also need to keep our strength,
if we are to be a "valuable alliance partner". It doesn't help them, if we loose to the Anarchos, and
then they have to face the Eagles without our support...

I would say, we send a few generous payments over the next 3-4 turns, and then see how the
situation looks like. At the moment I don't see much need for gold yet.
Let's send 150 this turn.

Do we build a market in Camlan now? Collect 15s now, rush granary for 180g next turn, let it finish in 3 more turns?

I think we have to perform massive retreat.
:yup:

What their settler doing?
Taking advantage of our slightly "misplaced" eastern army...
We need to retreat the remaining 8 units quickly in order to cover the path to our gold mountain/iron hill (and Memento's Humor) now. Send them 1SW in order to use forest+river for protection and then evacuate with the 3 galleys next turn?
Or risk 1W to see, if their lone settler was only a "bluff"?

I think 1SW is safer.

Don't know. Probably it will happen IBT if they kill our galley. Anyway don't want to risk SPT production. Also moved troops back.
Let Anarhos "think"
What do you think about unprotected settler? Unfortunately we could not take it from water.
may be they decided to give us 1 City?

may be they decided to give us 1 City?

Probably not... My guess: it enlarges their radius of visibility, it extends their road towards us, and they will have a stack ready to defend it! I think they are trying to grab good territory and defend it.

Regarding peace negotiations: this quite difficult without appearing "desperately in need of peace"... First we make "huge demands", and then we say "ok, if you don't want to, you can have peace for free - but please, please give us peace..." :blush:
Need to think about the right way to avoid this impression.

In any case I think they are determined to lead this war to the bitter end and will not pay us anything. (That's what my stomach tells me, after they simply "ignored" our message.)

Need to think about the right way to avoid this impression.

Ask about what settler doing. And why no reply / discussion to our proposal.

Pity, that we can't destroy it, but i plan to do it next turn.

May be it is "trap", to deviate our troops from Iron hill

they withdrew the settler. maybe misclick?

had a short look, before i leave for a couple of days. lib in Camelot is prebuild for Glib? must be changed this turn then.
rest looks ok.

walls in Shlisselburg probably should be rushed. it is all you have there.

the town is very well placed! offensive action against their north can start soon. i´d suggest 4 galleys of troops for a quick operation. only that their single hoplite on mountain will see it after 1 turn out. but they won´t be able to react much, because the turn after you can land 1w of one of their northern towns.

dm may be adjusted so that you found ON the horses.

t_x

2 Archers have good odds vs Sword on desert. We may take worker. If success: can we unloaded 2NM + 3 Horses? Or it is 100% suicide?

they withdrew the settler. maybe misclick?

It is their style. Like 2 Cities disband.

walls in Shlisselburg probably should be rushed. it is all you have there.

I'd rush Temple-> Market in 3. this turn. Kuche->80. Looks that Barbarians do not block route.

Do we build a market in Camlan now? Collect 15s now, rush granary for 180g next turn, let it finish in 3 more turns?
Yes. 90 g left, Kuche will get 80.

save is there. i had a short look. operation northern wind seems well prepared. cats on lake are heading south, right? rest north, together with the 3/5 galley this makes 4 ships and 8 units to destroy a town or two in the north. (rather 1 and withdraw) only stabilize the south, or wait whether they really withdraw lots of troops for the protection of their north, which i highly doubt. there is no getting through there now in my eyes.

in the north, you may better start immediately. i doubt they have ships up there. so healing might be some time lost and the chance gone.

otherwise, it is good the 2nd farm is up again. you need lots of towns, and lots of workers. the FP is missing, but there won´t be time to build it again now.

you think 3 more galleys are the way to go? what about markets or courts? you won´t have libs for much longer, so why not at least get some of those going?

a few mixed observations:
+ for a later cav invasion, there appears to be a nice position for a combat settler on the nearest hill west of the Anarchos´ inland lake. i mean 2n of where their hoplite and MI now stand on a mountain next to your horse. if you plant the channel town there and enter the harbour with your flotilla, you can unload your army 2 tiles next to their cap within one turn. that might get them by surprise. long term planning, though.
+ i did not bother to count tiles, but with maps unveiled the other continent looks way larger, not?
+ more importantly, why did the Eagles get a so much stronger start position than anyone else??? they have the sole 4-turner start, plus 8 easily improvable and close food tiles. no one else gets close to this. startwise, the other three seem somewhat balanced, but still the Küche and the Knights again have weaker starts than the Anarchie. (what they made out of it is absolutely beyond me!!!)

t_x

new turn is there... just to remind whoever moves - you must not forget that only by starting the galleys for the northern raid from the tile where the two loaded ships now stand gives you the chance to stay invisible.

what was in the galley which the Anarchos destroyed?

and i just noticed that even though you are in the GA you are no longer #1 in gnp.

do you know how justanick knows that the Eagles built the FP in Tuscan Talon? i find the location a bit strange as it limits the effect of the FP. i would have rather build it in Bird of Prey.

why does the Küche not use the iron mountain?

what about Avalon? it needs an aqueduct, but this will take quite a while once the GA ends.

just a few random thoughts.

t_x

and i just noticed that even though you are in the GA you are no longer #1 in gnp.

do you know how justanick knows that the Eagles built the FP in Tuscan Talon? i find the location a bit strange as it limits the effect of the FP. i would have rather build it in Bird of Prey.

Probably the Eagles have a lot of libraries now and are researching full throttle...

No idea. But usually justanick knows this game like no one else.
(Calis and Chamnix may be going by the old SirPleb advice: "the location of the FP doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is getting it up quickly"...)

Can I get a few turns again? I can play tomorrow, unless there are difficult decisions to discuss. (But I think everything is pretty much clear from both your last couple posts.)

Top Bottom