Turns 101-120

if you had a galley on the lake fish, wouldn´t you deprive Timbuktu of using it?

no troops on the northern iron this turn? what are they trying? to lure you out?

would you guys find it worthwile to have another try on Molde, by landing all the horses you have got in the south on the most southern mountain? (2s of Molde)

just some random thoughts after having a short look on the save.

t_x

if you had a galley on the lake fish, wouldn´t you deprive Timbuktu of using it?

no troops on the northern iron this turn? what are they trying? to lure you out?

would you guys find it worthwile to have another try on Molde, by landing all the horses you have got in the south on the most southern mountain? (2s of Molde)

just some random thoughts after having a short look on the save.

t_x

At the moment all galleys are needed for transportation, but we'll soon need a constant force of galleys in the lake for transportation between Shlissel and TT (or vice versa). However, I think the fish is not in the middle? Then that galley would be badly placed for ship-chaining.

Only horses can reach the iron hill, and considering their vast number of trebs, it would be suicide.

Also the attack on Molde would be suicide. If my assumption is correct, that they saved their gold from the GA for Knights upgrade, we would just loose all our horses, nothing else. Don't forget: they will get Chivalry in two turns. We will get it only in 6 turns. No, for now we need to sit very tight and think of nothing else but defense! Everything else can end in a catastrophe.

My plan now is: switch to "total war" now, and once F3 shows us as strong, we use 2-3 Longbows to kill the single hoplite near Timbuktu and then unload ~ 10 Numidians & 10 MI on that mountain. (That mountain can be reached from Shlissel as well as TT. So we can easily concentrate all our firepower on that single point.)

I think they decided to connect/disconnect Iron. They invite us to help them and loose few units.

Where do you think to send Settler from O'O?

I have sent it to the red spot in one turn. (Via ship to MH.)

The one from Tintagel should go to NW of Montsalvat, and the one from Fish Town to the cow island, I think?! The one from Glastonbury goes to the "new" Ivan-Gorod.

Tintagel can now start 2-turn workers (we finally need to get our cities up to size, in order to really make use of the 10% lux and also to get them to 10spt), while the missing northern towns can be produced by Glastonbury. (Basically two more: one across from Timbuktu and one for the lake island (cheaper than a temple in LE...).

what about starting the FP next in L-E?

Not sure. We are still weak in F3, and in 1-2 turns Knights will be available to the Anarchos... I think we need every unit now. Losing 180 shields in an "almost finished FP" for a second time would break our neck for sure... And I think we need to make some quick progress in the war, before the Eagles become a danger as well.

BTW: what strategy would you prefer (see also my latest discussion with justanick):
  • Build a mass of NM and swords now and upgrade MIs for 30g
  • Build horsemen and upgrade Knights for 120g (or even wait until Cav before trying an offensive)

With 25% more shields and 200% more gold, we should be able to outproduce the Anarchos now quickly and then make some decisive action with lots of cheap but tough units? I don't like justanick's advice to go for the mobile units in the current situation. And if the Eagles are preparing something, we definitely don't have the time to wait for Cavs (particularly if the Eagles will get them before us...)

Big question: should I now settle, where the settler is ("red"), or is it too risky? With the road they will build next turn, the can reach even "red" within one turn. "Black" looks quite awkward and loses another turn, but is at least out of reach and is a hill?!

I would say, take the risk and settle on red.

lurker's comment: the southern front looks really bad this way or the other. founding the town makes it very vulnerable. not founding it means no culture and forepost to fend the attack off at all; plus no good unload possibility for the lake fleet.

the forest 1NE and the mountain 1NW make the spot very bad for defense though. they could move to the gates of the town and simply bypass it, and there is not much you could do about it.

personally, i neither believe in so much upgrade gold the Anarchos could have saved, nor that they will come with knights.

t_x

Yes, let's hope so. (justanick says, most probably they have researched one tech, so they can't have that much gold.)
So I think, I found red, occupy the gold mountain with 2-3 NMs, and if they want to bypass, the will have to move on the grassland SE of red. By that time we can have 20 units there for an attack.
Unfortunately city walls don't help...: the first shot of a treb would tear it down right away. And we don't have enough workers to bring it to size 7... :(

lurker's comment: depending on the size of their force, they will much more likely simply take Red or take the gold mountain position. as i said, i would not expect knights, but rather 15-20 MIs.

in my duel against Memento, i was able to muster sth like 30 MI in an attack not too much later in the game, when i already had run another offensive before AND built two wonders!

t_x

But retreating to black doesn't look good either, does it? Then in addition to the gold mountain, we also need to cover the iron hill!! And we can't simply let their stack advance there, we'd lose MH and OO. So we need to stand and fight somewhere. And grind them down with large numbers as well... :(
Or do you see any alternative?

black is even worse, but you only need to read my assessments of all spots some time back.
the problem is that you much much too late fortify your position on the southern front. i think i mentioned that twice already. but it was said that other tasks have priority.
now i do not see anything set up for a good defense. best you can do is bring lots of troops there, especially cats, and if they do attack pray that you do not lose the town, the stack and the arty, and if they try to bypass that 3 hits and all your attackers will suffice.

t_x

I also do not understand what the reason for new City at South was. The only reason to attract their forces south. Sure, we have to disband it when lots of MI come to attack position.

I looked at save and situation "complicate". But, I think we survive to TGL and with Knights will manage to hold position. Not sure about O'O. I will fly back to Europe on Saturday, I can make one turn, but I think Lanzelot better continue.

Ok, I was swamped with work during the week, but had some time today. I noticed, that they retreated their MIs and only left the Hoplites and Trebs behind?! :confused: What was the idea behind that?

Either a mistake or a trap. In any case, I had brought enough horses and swords into position last turn, so I decided to attack. Battle log in the Anarchy embassy, here only the summary:
We lost 4 horses, 2 swords (180 shields)
They lost 9 hoplites, 9 trebuchets, 2 workers (470 shields)

We may lose one more Numidian in the counter attack, but the rest of our units are out of reach. We may lose a couple more units, if they have horses within reach, but I don't think they can have that many. Judging by the large number of hoplites and MIs that we can see all over the place, they did not concentrate on horses... The fact that they declined Chivalry indicates the same. (It would have been a great way to use their gold, as they can't cash-rush. So if they declined it, it shows that they didn't have many horses to upgrade...)

Still weak in F3, though?!

Should we build a temple in MH? Just an idea, though I don't like it much. May be a way to lower lux to 0% while at the same time getting the BG for Clariton.

i cannot look into the save, but from what you describe they made a very strange move. even if they now attack with horses en masse, it would still be strange...

the assessment as still "weak" is no big surprise though. you lost not so many less units with an A/D-value. i do not think that arty is brought into that equation at all.

thing would probably be different if you had got the MIs also. but that could not be excepted, and i assume you would not have had enough units at hand for that anyway. or were there?

in any case, their military is still strong, so very likely there will not be any chance for a counter-attack.

t_x

You did not count that you lost settler in lost balance. But still, ok. May be they just want to keep border as it is. Or may be they have some special agreement with Eagles.

A few updates:
  • justanick said, they will finish Invention in T121. Our GLib will finish T122 with a perfectly timed 400s. So we'll get Invention already for free.
  • The mountain next to Timbuktu is still covered with only a single 3/3 Hoplite. I still like the plan of storming it with 3-4 Longbows and then unloading a huge number of Nums + MIs there. Other landing operations (e.g. at Molde) would have the disadvantage that we need to send our galleys out of the lake. (Recently I kept galleys at both sides of the lake, so we can relocate our units depending on where the Anarchos attack. The destruction of the stack of Hops + Trebs last turn was possible due to this, and I don't think we can afford abandoning this strategy for now. Perhaps later, when we are strong compared to the Anarchos.)
  • Perhaps we should now start to build 2-turn archers in our 10spt cities instead of 10-rush-10 swordsmen? That way we pay 60g per Longbow instead of 70g per MI. (And the Longbows are better because of being amphibious.) With the Longbows we can even go elite-fishing at Canibal Island.
  • Once our "Cow Island" has finished the worker, it can produce a settler, using 1-2 chopped forests. We need to work on our high unit costs...
  • The worker in Camelot can irrigate the tile SE of Montsalvat, and then in 2 turns, the other worker can be joind to Montsalvat to bring it to 10spt.

Top Bottom