[TUT] Adding newly created units to Civ4 in 6 "easy" steps

It's always good to recheck the animation paths. So if they're using vanilla animations direct the path to the relevant folder in the default units folder. Also, make sure you haven't made any typos in the xml.

Maybe you could post the xml if it still isn't working?

Thanks for the help again Chuggi. I don't think it's the referencing, I've checked that like twenty times. Does it matter if letters are capitalized in XML and file name? Also I've found the unit sound XML, but where are the unit sounds referenced to the unit? I need to change the sounds on a few units and I can't find a tutorial on that. Well, Thanks again Chuggi.

Can you post the xml anyway? It's good to get a second opinion even if you're certain it's right. ;)

Capitalisation doesn't matter with xml, so it's not that. Maybe there's something wrong with the animation files?

I don't have any access to my civ files atm so I can't check with the sounds. The unit sound references can probably be found in one of the unit xml files or sound files though. I'll check it out later.

I think it's difficult to add custom sounds because you have to make sure they loop properly and play for the right amount of time etc. But if you just want to change it to a different vanilla sound it should be fairly easy.

I figured it out Chuggi, I was typing in the referencing wrong in the ArtDefines XML. I didn't know what I was doing. I downloaded some mods, and copied how they did it, now I can pretty much add any unit. I still haven't figured out the sound, so I could still use some help there. Anyway, thanks again for all your help.

I had a look, and there's a file called AudioDefines.xml in the audio folder. So I guess that's it. I think that you could also do some stuff in the artdefinesunit xml (look at the female spy, she has different audio to the rest of the units).

Hello

im new to this whole thingy. so please bear with me

right. basically. im trying to add a completley new unit to gameplay. i dont know if this is possible but damnit im trying lol

im Trying to add the Galleass unit to the main game thingy. not any of the scanarios and stuff. dont realy know what people mean by mods, but im taking it, it means scenario. but yeah.

i used to create my own games n stuff for Civ III and only recently got BtS for CivIV and this is like completley different and has thrown me entirley.

i did read this tutorial thoroughly, but nontheless im still realy confused. i understood half of it. read some of the reply's also, and it was mentioned that it was easier to comprehend if i read the other tutorials aswell.

for an entirley new Unit to the game, what tut do you recomend me reading? or could anyone help me?

sorry for the essay lmao
thankyoooo =]

At first thanks for this TuT but i don`t understand the last step.
How to point shadernif and the nif on the new unit?

Hello

im new to this whole thingy. so please bear with me

right. basically. im trying to add a completley new unit to gameplay. i dont know if this is possible but damnit im trying lol

im Trying to add the Galleass unit to the main game thingy. not any of the scanarios and stuff. dont realy know what people mean by mods, but im taking it, it means scenario. but yeah.

i used to create my own games n stuff for Civ III and only recently got BtS for CivIV and this is like completley different and has thrown me entirley.

i did read this tutorial thoroughly, but nontheless im still realy confused. i understood half of it. read some of the reply's also, and it was mentioned that it was easier to comprehend if i read the other tutorials aswell.

for an entirley new Unit to the game, what tut do you recomend me reading? or could anyone help me?

sorry for the essay lmao
thankyoooo =]
It is possible to ad new units to the game. You only have to do these six steps of Rabbit.

Mods and scenarios are not the same. Ina Mod you have new units buildings etc. and in a scenario you only have a game situation with the normal Civ4 Warlords or BTS.

hi

i tried to add units but i didn't understand what i have to put in formationinfo.xml

could you give me an example?

In the very small remote chance anyone reads this, I have had a continuing problem with trying to add new units into the game. Whenever I load the game with the new unit in it an error popup occurs saying the unit info is incorrect. This appears for every unit and when the game loads NONE of the units work!:mad: In fact they dont even show up in the civilopedia.

Any suggestions?

first of all compliments for this tutorial.
I have a question, how can i add a unit for a specific civ?

i'm sorry for my bad english

Every civ has my units.
Edit: I found the solution
redit: Every civ has my units. T_T

In the very small remote chance anyone reads this, I have had a continuing problem with trying to add new units into the game. Whenever I load the game with the new unit in it an error popup occurs saying the unit info is incorrect. This appears for every unit and when the game loads NONE of the units work!:mad: In fact they dont even show up in the civilopedia.

Any suggestions?

If you're modding BtS or Warlords, be sure, that you take the BtS or Warlords files for modding, and not the Vanilla ones (and not the Warlords files for BtS).

first of all compliments for this tutorial.
I have a question, how can i add a unit for a specific civ?

i'm sorry for my bad english

Every civ has my units.
Edit: I found the solution
redit: Every civ has my units. T_T

You want an UU (unique unit)?
Look at the Civ4CivilizationsInfos.xml.

If you're modding BtS or Warlords, be sure, that you take the BtS or Warlords files for modding, and not the Vanilla ones (and not the Warlords files for BtS).

You want an UU (unique unit)?
Look at the Civ4CivilizationsInfos.xml.

yes i want. I look at Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml, i added the unit at the civ, but all civs have my unit, maybe i made an error in some xml file.

Thanks for the reply, but thats not the problem. I did copy the original unit infos from bts. here is the error i keep getting.
For regular units.
"Tag:UNIT_(unit name) in infoclass was incorrect
Current xml file is:xml\civilizations/CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml"

And for UU.
"Tag:UNIT_(unit name) in infoclass was incorrect
Current xml file is:xml\civilizations/CIV4civilizationsinfos.xml"

This does not make any sense because I did not add a new unitclass, just a new unit. I also checked to make sure the unit was entered right in the civinfos. Finally to make sure it was not the graphics I made a unit that used the same art and graphics as the original and still had the same problem. I hope this new information helps.

Here are the files for one of the units I tried to add, a Portland battlecruiser.
I dont think I could upload the actual xml files so these are the copies of them. For the moment I am using the graphics pulled from another mod (Road to War/unit_cruiser) until I can get my own.

These are only half of them. Others on next reply.

Top Bottom