1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[TUT] skin and add new Bonus Resources and add Improvements

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by Master Lexx, Jan 12, 2006.

1. micmc

micmc Warlord

just use the same bonusartdefine for all the resources, but then edit whatever you wanted in the xml/civ4bonusinfo...

so if you had

zombie temple
    brothel temple
    tiger temple

they'd all use the same artwork/icons/etc for "basic temple" and adventurers would have a 1 in 3 chance of being lucky....

2. micmc

micmc Warlord

absolutely great tutorial...if I know anything about CIV4 graphics now, it is because of the time you took to create this for us. I thank you, my wife thanks you, my daughter thanks you, my dog would thank you but he's being fixed in the morning and has other things on his mind....

anyway, with psp saving to .tga, I get a warning box upon saving, saying "you may only save 1 alpha channel"..which means (if I understand hwo it all bloody works on a basic level) it becomes problematic to add the small-icons on the font75 file.

I know it must be possible, because I've seen your font75 file from servo's mod, (which saved me btw when I had to use it as a backup's backup) but before I bugger anything else up, I thought I'd ask how can you add to the alpha channel, I've read the psp helps and if it was me and those help files that stood between salvation and the end of the world....spend your retirment fund today!

3. Eusebius

Eusebius Warlord

I happened to discover that if you have both <iPlayer> and <iTilesPer> set to zero, the resource doesn't show up at all on the map.

Eusebius

4. Elucidus

Elucidus King

I am trying to add a new type of farm. All it does is give a bigger bonus and is tied to a later tech, but I can't get the button to show up. I just referenced the button for the farm, I thought it would appear twice in the list, but it doens't show up. Any ideas why?

5. hrochland

hrochland Prince

Know somebody, please, where are bonuses in BtS xml structure????? I can not find CIV4BonusInfos.xml file :(

6. Jean Elcard

Jean Elcard The Flavournator

It's not the only file missing now with BtS. I'm really looking for an alternative of Civ4PlotLSystem.xml for example. This tutorial is using it as well.

After all it sums up to 47 xml files gone in comparison to the original Civilization 4 and 37 new ones.

EDIT: I just saw, that CIV4BonusInfos.xml is still mentioned in CIV4TerrainSchema.xml. So if it is in the schema you might still use it. Maybe BtS is still using some of the xml files of the original Civ 4. You may try to copy it from there to your BtS mod folder: \Assets\XML\Terrain\.

EDIT2: You may not believe it, but it's actually using the CIV4BonusInfos.xml from the Warlords folder! Just tried to change something there and it showed up in Beyond the Sword. I can't imagine, why they have done something like that. The XML files don't need that much space on a harddisk. And what if you want to uninstall Warlords? Should break nearly everything.

7. hrochland

hrochland Prince

Thanks you very much, Jean Elcard. I will try it this evening. One more thanks :)
    Know you, please, about some man, that he may help me with some few a little python problems in my Bts HrochMod3.4.3 ? :blush:

8. Liberace_2211

Liberace_2211 Chieftain

Excelent!!! This tutorial really helped me add some new resources. I didn´t know I had to change those GameFont files but I could finally show the new resources in the city screen. Thank you man!!! You made my day :D

:goodjob: :goodjob:

9. magic_stick1376

magic_stick1376 Chieftain

this may sound pretty dumb, but is it possible to use a flat image for the resource? or must you make a new skin?

10. stanleyshi79

stanleyshi79 Chieftain

Very good instruction. I follow your idea to add new improvement (plant) in industiral era. It can work. But in civilopedia, the technology shows" can plant" not "can build a plant". I don't know what's wrong with it? Can you give me a hand?

Thanks in advance!:)

11. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

12. stanleyshi79

stanleyshi79 Chieftain

Thanks! I got it.

13. pleasenoname

pleasenoname Chieftain

I cannot find the the spices .dds in any folder, despite using search and compiling a list of all the .dds files. It exists, I placed some with world builder. Yet nothing has that name
    Also, I find it inefficient how all the folders for different resources are spread out over Original, Warlords and BTS.

14. fractalfeline

fractalfeline Chieftain

Hi! Sorry for being a total noob but I'm trying to make a new mod. I got lost somewhere around the ingame icons section. Can you tell me how to find the atlas file I'm supposed to be editing? I don't know if there's some difference in versions but I have BTS and I was looking all over my various installed folders and I can't find anything. I found the copper resource thing (yay) and incense, of all things, but beyond that I can't find a whole lot else...

15. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

The atlas files (like the most graphical files) are packed into .fpk files. They are in the vanilla folder. To unpack use PakBuild, it's here in the database.

16. Classicus

Classicus Chieftain

I would like to make it so that cities gain the bonuses of each individual resource, for example if I have 3 clam, I get the health benefits of each one, rather than just one only. How can I do this in the XML?

17. The_J

Simple answer: You can't. That function is not provided by civ :(.

18. pleasenoname

pleasenoname Chieftain

*psst*, *sdk*, *SDK*.haha

19. BeastofStrength

BeastofStrength Chieftain

I have copied the Bonusinfo.xml form Warlords and the CIV4TerrainSchema.
    I then copied the Horse, Bonusinfo.xml, copied it, and made a Camel resource.
    (I"m not worried how the art looks like right now.);)
    I also did the renaming of the XML Art files and XML text files.

I go to load my mod, it starts to load then says, something to the effect:

The CIV4TerrainSchema doesn't know what <damage>0</damage> means.
    Bonus fails to load.

Before when I was using the CIV4, Bonusinfo.xml and the CIV4TerrainSchema, I would get something to the effect;

The CIV4TerrainSchema doesn't know what <iheal>0</iheal> means.
    Bonus fails to load.

Apparently my copy and pasting abilities haven't worked this time. I can make units and buildings work, when I copy and paste.

Can someone please give a helping hand? :nuke:

20. The_J

BtS has it's own schema, use this ;).

If you're not doing your mod modular, then don't use the schema at all. It's not really needed for XML only changes.