1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorial: Making a units_32 pic

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Tutorials, Reference, & Guides' started by zulu9812, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Morfos

Morfos Warlord

What do I do after pasting the new image?

2. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

..after pasting the image on your units_32.pcx sheet, open the Editor and click Scenario then click Custom Rules. OK to the warning...Click Rules then click Units. Click the Add button and type in the unit name Exactly as the folder and .ini file have it in your units files. Then using the icon window on the top left, type in or use the arrow to locate the image you pasted on your units_32.pcx sheet. When you have the correct number for the image, the image will show in the top left window. Set all of the new settings you want for the new unit. Exit this 1st window and Save As a new name .biq for senario to play. Either click File and then Save As or it will ask if you if you want to save after you click to exit the Editor. You can save the file in Scenarios folder and use it when you want to play a game with your new units.

3. METALWOLF

METALWOLF Chieftain

newbie here :D i down loaded zulu's icons.. now what do i do from here with them .help please :( these are only the icons and not the animations -correct?

4. Vuldacon

METALWOLF, The units_32.pcx file has the icons for the units that you will see in your city build screen when playing a game (These are NOT the unit animations). Unit animations are in separate, individually named folders found in the same units folder where the units_32.pcx files is located.

You can use Zulu's units_32.pcx file as it is or copy and paste individual icons from his sheet to your original units_32.pcx file used in the game. You need a Graphics editor that will allow you to open, select, copy and paste individual icons if you only want some of the units from Zulu's sheet added to your original sheet.

1st...(if you have the Normal installation for CIV III) For the Original CIV III Game, go to C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Art\units.

For PTW, C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Civ3PTW\Art\Units.

For Conquest, C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests\Art\Units.

Scroll to the bottom and you will see the units_32.pcx file for each of these Game versions. Rename the one you use or save it to a floppy or CD as a backup of this original game file incase you want or need it at some point in the future.
    2nd...paste Zulu's units_32.pcx file in the same units folder. IF you saved the original file somewhere else but did not rename it in the units folder, you will overwrite this file. If you renamed the original units_32.pcx file, you will simply paste Zulu's file in the folder. Either way, keep a backup of the Original Game file. You may find it easiest and or best to rename the file Original_units_32.pcx and save it somewhere else as well as leaving it in the same folder. The other method of using Zulu's units_32.pcx file is to copy the desired unit icons from Zulu's file and paste each onto your Original units_32.pcx file.
    You will use the Icons when you add new units that are represented on this sheet. To Add new units as well as apply the appropriate icons from the units_32.pcx file, You will use the game Editor...see above post. Also see the Tutorials concerning adding new units to the game.

5. METALWOLF

METALWOLF Chieftain

:D thanks for your help Vuldacon.. i will follow your instructions.. seems easy enough

6. GeneralMatt

GeneralMatt Emperor

Do not air units need an extra pic for the planes .pcx file?

7. WilliamOfOrange

WilliamOfOrange King

This is weird, I did this earlier today with Kinboat's Veritech unit and it worked, but I cannot seem to add it to Zulu's master list (it wasn't on as far as I could tell). I am using GIMP

Now every time I paste it in, it is all messed up...dots and colours.....no pic....any ideas? I have even tried re-unpacking the Veritech unit pic and pasting into other unit-32 arays...Help please:confused:

8. Vuldacon

WilliamOfOrange...Kinboat's Large and Small pcx files along with the units_32.pcx file for the Veritech were not made with correct palettes.
    I corrected these if you want them for use.
    Here is the zip:

Attached Files:

9. SG-17

SG-17 Deity

but what if you fill the unit sheet?(vanilla) how do i add more?

10. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

Not sure in Vanilla, but in C3C (and I guess all versions)
    You just make the icon sheet larger.

Open the pcx in a paint program that can handled indexed (fixed palette images). Paint programs such as Photoshop, Paintshop and GIMP.
    I use photoshop.
    Next either resize the background or create a new blank image that is allot larger (in height only) by 2x.
    Assuming you resized the canvas not the image, you re-position the orignal image so it is at the top. Copy it and paste it so it is also covering the bottom. You then erase the contents of the frames of the duplicates.
    If you create a blank image, paste two copies of the original image in and position them. Load the palette from the original image if you do it this way...
    etc... there must be 1000's of ways to add rows.

11. Vuldacon

Here is a Large BLank units_32.pcx. It is 28 across rather than 14. The units_32 Palette is loaded to this Blank so all you need to do is copy and paste your Images to it.
    Note: It is Important to keep Leaders, I believe Armies as well, in the same Frames as the Originals because they are indexed for Game Use. It is Best to simply Copy and Paste the Original Images in the same Order and in this case, copy and paste from Left to Right. This Sheet will hold two Rows from the Original units_32 across one Row...After Pasting your Original Images to this File, add what you want after. This Sheet has 420 frames and you can add more as needed. Just Rename this Sheet units_32.pcx by removing the word "Blank_" that is at the start of the name.

Attached Files:

12. Europhile

Europhile Chieftain

How do we get rid of the magenta square behind our units when we put them onto the map?

13. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

The magenta square should not be there on the map. The units 32 is not the unit just a icon for it. Much like you clicked on an ICON for Internet Explorer to come where.
    On the map the game will use animated files called FLCs which you must add to your game. Please read the adding units to the game tutorial.

14. Vuldacon

Snootch... as Bjornlo indicated, the units_32 file has its own Palette and is only intended for the small unit Icons that show the unit in the City Screen and build Queue. IF a unit uses Civ Specific Colors, they must use the Red Civ Specific color for the units_32 file for those colors to change for each Civ.

...as for units, they each use their own 256 color Palette because each unit uses different colors. The Game Palette uses four rows of 16 Civ Specific colors as well as 1 row of 16 Shadows and 1 row of 16 smoke or fog shades. This leaves 160 slots on the palette for unit colors. IF Magenta shows behind your unit on the game map, the Magenta color is not in the correct slot of the palette. It is used as a Transparent color and the game uses indexes to know where this transparent color is on the palette. There are several tutorials concerning units and palettes. IF you can "wade" through it, I wrote a tutorial about how to make one palette for a unit that uses multiple palettes. This also shows a method to make a unit palette as well as the placement of the unit colors on the palette. IF you use a different Graphics Editing program than Paint Shop Pro, you should still be able to adapt any of the Tutorials to the way your Program works and shows palettes.
    ...So to answer your question more directly...correct the position of the Magenta color for the particular unit on its game palette to correct the Magenta you are seeing behind your unit on the map. This has nothing to do with the units_32 Palette. Good Luck :)

15. Europhile

Europhile Chieftain

Hey, guys - thanks for trying to help me out. I have to admit, however, that I am clueless to about 80% of what you both wrote, probably because I came off as doing something more advanced than what I really am!

I do understand that I am not dealing with FLICs at the moment. I am just talking about the Map Editor - I apologize for leaving that detail out. I am talking about the units_32.pcx sheet where I just copy and pasted units to it that I found. (I know I have to do PediaIcons and Civilopedia entries, ini. files, etc.) I don't do unit creations - I am not that qualified!

I attached a picture in another thread, but I don't know how to reference it with a link. Maybe this is it: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=5846651&postcount=217

16. Vuldacon

Snootch... Is that Image one where the Worker animation appears on the map with the Magenta Background or is this something you pasted on the map? If it is the actual Worker animation, the Unit Palette does not have the Magenta indexed correctly on the palette.
    IF you have a Graphics Editing Program, Open a Unit .pal Game Palette and you will see where the Magenta is located on the palette. You can generate a storyboard with Flicster to get a .pal and alpha pal palette. Look at the .pal Palette for this. By the Way, If your Original Game Worker Unit is having this Magenta Background Problem, it is Corrupt.

Again, the units_32 sheet does not have anything to do with Units on the Game Map...ONLY on the City Screen and Build Queue list. Those areas are where you would see what you Paste on the units_32.pcx sheet...NOT the Game Map. Unit Palettes affect what you see on the Game Map. Have you altered your Terrain "Map" Graphics?

17. Europhile

Europhile Chieftain

Thanks again, Vuldacon. I now understand the role of the units_32.pcx sheet. And no, I did not alter the terrain graphics - I am using the default folder files.

What I did was download your blank PCX sheet above so I could put more unit icons in my mod. That image I attached shows what happens when I open my units_32.pcx file in IrfanView, then add a unit to it (cut and paste from another PCX sheet). Then when I open the Map Editor program, all of a sudden I see this magenta square behind my units! The same thing happened when I "added" a resource to that other PCX sheet - all my resources had the magenta square behind them, too! So if I just leave the PCX sheets alone, there is no magenta square, only then I can't put my new units into the scenario!

Is this a problem with IrfanView? Does IrfanView alter the settings somehow? I prefer this program because it is free.

I am not sure what to do with palettes - I am just a cut & paste guy!

18. Vuldacon

Snootch... I am not Familier with the Free Program IrfanView but it seems that it is altering your pcx Palettes. IF you Open the pcx "sheets" and just paste an image into them, the palettes should remain the same. Not sure what is going on there but probably the palette indices are incorrect.
    You could try another Free Program or upload/send your pcx "sheets" so the correct palette can be applied to them. I will check the palettes for your pcx files if you upload them.
    Does IrfanView allow you to view or change the palettes?

Edit... I downloaded Infanview and tested it briefly. I believe you need to download Plug-ins to be able to use many features. I was not able to load a palette and I believe this is one of the things you have to add a Plug-in for. Check the Palettes of your pcx files and make sure they are correct...save them as pcx files and check that they are pcx files after saving them.

19. Europhile

Europhile Chieftain

Vuldacon - you are a champ. Thanks again for your time and effort with me. I hope other Civ gamers who might have had this problem can read this and appreciate your efforts, as well.

Thanks for checking out IfranView even though it is probably not what most of you (qualified) guys use. I opened up your blank_units_32.pcx sheet in IrfanView and went to Image\Palette\Export Palette and saved it as Blank. Then, I loaded the PCX sheet I had all my units on. I then went to Image\Palette\Import Palette and loaded Blank. I saved the PCX sheet, then loaded the Civ 3 Map Editor and... voila! That worthless magenta square is now gone.

One thing I discovered was that Palettes cannot be worked on if the image is greater than 256 colors. So at one point I had to go to Image\Decrease Color Depth and set it to "256 Colors (8 BPP)." Then I could do the Palette stuff.

Also, when I went back to copy and paste more units to my PCX sheet, IfranView kept jacking with the Palette! (Worthless little bean.) So what I did was get all the units I wanted on the units_32.pcx sheet, then made sure the Color Depth was 256 colors, then had to Import the palette that I saved as Blank... then I saved it. (Whew!) This fixes IrfanView's propensity to change things. If I learn of a way to stop IrfanView from bugging us (or if you do), I'll let you know.

Now, don't think I understand any of this palette business one bit. I did notice that a person can edit the palette, though I am clueless as to how that would be done. I've read some posts on Civ Fanatics about RGB and positions and stuff, and when I tried to alter things, nothing worked. So unless you know how to work palettes (which I have no clue), then I strongly suggest downloading Vuldacon's Blank_units_32.pcx file above. Of course, what I am doing here is not the hard stuff - I am not making units, I am just trying to copy and paste them per the directions I found elsewhere on CivFanatics. If all you have is a problem with magenta squares, like Vuldacon (and others) said, it is just a palette issue, so try what I did!

Thanks again, Vuldacon. You really helped me hone in on what I should be looking for and got me thinking the right way. Again, I hope others can use this. Take care.

20. Vuldacon

Glad you found a work around that corrects the problem for you with Infanview. It is a nice little program for Free anyway. Like all programs, we have to learn what they can do and how we can use them.

Another Free Program that you can use that will help you with Palettes is Pedit Palette Editor by Bertram Simon. Also Flicster by Moenir generates both the .pal and alpha.pal palettes for units as well as flcs and allow you to view them.

I believe Infanview saves images with a Default that causes the palette problem so it is important to import the Correct Palette before saving your files. From the little I read, I believe you can download Plug-ins that will allow you to handle pcx files and palettes easier.

You can Download "Gimp", which is a Free Image Manipulation Program as well. You may find it easier to use for simple image work.

As for Palettes, there are many uploaded tutorials and information available on this subject here at CivFanatics. Palettes are no more difficult than anything else concerning Graphics work. Remember this...when something seems difficult, it is because there is something you do not yet know. When we understand and successfully gain a procedure we like, it is easy :)

I will say that because there are many methods that can be used to make Palettes and many of them are uploaded here...they can confuse someone who does not yet understand the basic static factors that are in all end results for a Particular Game Palette. The methods of getting there and the Programs used to do it can and do vary. This leaves people who are only beginning with the various game palettes for Civ, not sure what program or steps to use. I sympathize but unfortunately, what has been written is from individuals who use their personal programs and developed methods to accomplish the steps involved. Due to this, most people learn by extrapolation and "Trial and Error" until they understand and develop their own "techniques" with the programs they have.

Start with learning the Basic Facts about the Palette you want to work with...then look into tutorials where you can try the personal methods and programs that others use for the tasks. Many ways to accomplish the same end result..some are easier and or faster...just like almost everything concerning Computer Tasks. :)