1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Wishlist for Great People in Civ6

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Guandao, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

And isn't there a quote from Terry Pratchett's Discworld (I don't know which book), too?

God of Kings and Zaarin like this.
  2. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I believe so.

3. AnonymousSpeed

AnonymousSpeed Pink Plastic Army Man

They were pretty good.

Hm...well, I don't think production from Plantations is a bad idea, but I think 2 is higher than I would go. These are also just suggestions:
    • Eli Whitney, Great Engineer of the Industrial Era, triggers the Eureka for Replaceable Parts. Plantations over Luxury Resources provide double quantities of the resource.
    • Sam Walton, Great Merchant of the Information Era, instantly builds a Market in every Commercial Hub in your empire. Markets +6 Gold and +2 Food.
    I considered Eli Whitney boosting the yields of Plantations, or just providing Cotton resources to your empire. Industrial Zones getting adjacency from Plantations would have been weird and kind of cool. Hopefully that's not racist. Hey, uh, George Washington Carver for a Great Scientist, am I right?

Because he's such a late game figure, Sam Walton probably won't be that good, so I tried to make the effect a little more powerful than is generally sane. I like the idea of making Markets into Super Markets, and I think that part of your idea should be the focus, rather than more copies of resources. I did consider having him cause Markets to produce extra gold for each resource you have, rather than a flat boost.

4. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I'm not sure how they are able to use that quote. Maybe a short one is ok, but the Great Writer Quotes would be even longer. Firaxis has seemed to shied away from using any writers whose work is copyrighted. As for music, they did used some living Great Musicians/and dead ones who have copyright, in BNW, but I think Firaxis paid them royalties to use their music. They didn't for Civ6. No living musicians, No dead musicians who work is copyrighted.

Zaarin likes this.
  5. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

The main reason is because of YouTube copyright strikes, which explains why many Civ V: BNW Let's Plays have music disabled.

6. Equilin

Equilin Chieftain

I think GP system needs improvement, making them more specific. ATM many of their effects are similar to one other (e.g. give flat gold for GMerchant, give similar bonus for GGen and GAdm, give a building or two according to their type). To start I'll write my ideas : GGs and GAdms should only give bonus to specific type of units (melee, ranged, siege, etc.).

GG: Minamoto no Yo****sune, Oda Nobunaga and Takeda Shingen. Zhou Yu. Yama****a Tomoyuki.
    Also if they manage to get past the legal stuffs: (king) Naresuan
    GAdm: William Halsey, Calico Jack
    GM: Lü Buwei, Iwasaki Yataro
    GE: Li Bing
    GS: John Nash (a mathematician and also considered an economist so i'm not sure where to put him, but he's more into math)
    GW: KARL MARX!
    Also want to put Benjamin Franklin and Sakamoto Ryoma in there but dunno where to.

7. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Both are probably copyrighted, but still:
    Pavel Tigrid (Great Writer)
    Bohumil Hrabal (Great Writer)

And one not-copyrighted:
    Božena Němcová (Great Writer)

8. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

An unorthodox suggestion for a Great Writer:

Solomon (Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon)

In all likelihood, Solomon wrote neither of these works--Ecclesiastes contains Persian loanwords, and Song of Solomon mentions Solomon in third person--but it would still be nice to have and would get around the problem of anonymous works.

Kimiimaro likes this.
  9. Guandao

Tigrid and Hrabal are definitely copyrighted. I already added Bozena Nemcova to the list. :D

Kimiimaro likes this.
  10. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

When we're talking about Czech great people, you can add Joseph Radetzky von Radetz (Great General).

11. AnonymousSpeed

Methinks we've made the mistake to neglect adding Avicenna.

Zaarin and Guandao like this.
  12. Phrozen

Phrozen Chieftain

Malcolm Young now as well. :(

Guandao likes this.
  13. Guandao

I can't add him, since his music is copyright. Wait until 2087...:p

God of Kings and Kimiimaro like this.
  14. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Also Maimonides. Though really most of the great philosophers are missing, and I'm not sure where you'd put them anyway. Most probably fit best as Great Writers (Thomas Aquinas, Augustine, Pseudo-Dionysus, and Plato certainly belong here), while a few could be Great Scientists, I suppose (like Aristotle and Pythagoras). Hmm, we need a "Great Philosopher" great person, but don't ask me what they do. :p

Guandao likes this.
  15. AnonymousSpeed

Aquinas is currently a Great Prophet.

I don't know how I feel about Great Philosophers, I can't really see a place for them in the current game, and most of them also did other things. For example, a religious philosopher can be a Great Prophet, a philosopher with books can be a Great Writer, a polymath can be a Great Scientist, etc.

What would be really weird would be that Augustine and Aquinas would produce Great Works that generate culture...and no faith.

Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  16. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I really think religious art should generate faith, and it stands to reason so should religious writing. (I also forgot that Aquinas was a Great Prophet.) I agree that I have no idea what a Great Philosopher would do, but given how profoundly many of them affected the course of history it seems remiss to exclude them.

Siptah and Guandao like this.
  17. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Another suggestion: Anna Komnene. She could be a Great Writer, but problematically she wrote only a single work: the Alexiad. She could either be a Great Writer with two quotes from a single work, or she could be made something like a Great Scientist who gives an Inspiration from a Medieval or Renaissance civic and creates the Alexiad great work of writing.

Guandao likes this.
  18. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

There are two Czech painters that could make good Great Artists, but I'm afraid their work is probably copyrighted.
    One is Oldřich Kulhánek (btw. author of the graphic design of Czech banknotes).
    The other one is Adolf Born.

I also wanted to propose John Amos Comenius, but then I noticed he's already here, so I'll search for more Czech great people.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  19. Guandao

Kulhanek and Born died recently, so their work is definitely copyrighted. We really can only use artists who died in 1947 or before that.

20. Lord of War N02

Lord of War N02 Lord of Southeast Asia

Great General
    Bodindecha
    Taksin
    Maha Sura Singhanat
    Phraya Phichai
    Maha Thiha Thura
    Maha Bandula
    Binnya Dala
    Liu Bei
    Guan Yu