Unique Builiding Elimination Thread

Bazaar - 24
Floating Gardens - 7
Paper Maker -26
Pyramid - 40
Stele - 40

The Bazaar is the one that's "situational." No one wants copies of resources they already have. And you need good relations to get a good deal, and lose the deal if there's a DoW. Oases aren't that common, and deserts suck if you miss out on Desert Folklore. Oil takes a long time to unlock.

I don't think the Bazaar is situational... Each city you settle is going to have at least 1 unique luxury resource, this give you an extra copy to do as you will with.

That being said, I'm still voting it down, as I think its the worst here.

I don't think the Bazaar is situational... Each city you settle is going to have at least 1 unique luxury resource, this give you an extra copy to do as you will with.
Yes, but just because it's unique to you doesn't mean someone else isn't already selling it to your trading partner.

Edit: It's still a good building, and I'm not bothered it got this far.

Bazaar - 21 AI cityspam gets them too many luxuries for this to be effective
Floating Gardens - 7
Paper Maker -26
Pyramid - 40
Stele - 41 Free religion

Bazaar - 21 + 1 = 22
Floating Gardens - 7
Paper Maker -26 - 3 = 23
Pyramid - 40
Stele -41

AI cityspam gets them too many luxuries for the bazaar to be effective? I think you'd be hard pressed to find a game where every AI has access to every luxury resource you have (even if you're going tall, but especially if you're playing Arabia to their strengths and going wide.) Plus, how does AI city-spam reduce the efficiency of something that grants bonus gold to oil resources come late game?

Bazaar - 22
Floating Gardens - 7
Paper Maker - 20 Worst one left for me
Pyramid - 41 Science is best attribute for civs early game
Stele -41

AI cityspam gets them too many luxuries for the bazaar to be effective? I think you'd be hard pressed to find a game where every AI has access to every luxury resource you have (even if you're going tall, but especially if you're playing Arabia to their strengths and going wide.) Plus, how does AI city-spam reduce the efficiency of something that grants bonus gold to oil resources come late game?
Even so, trades are mutually beneficial, so it's worth keeping in mind that whatever yield you get from trading it comes at the cost of a rival acquiring something they deemed useful. Trading is definitely worth it, but it comes with a give and take, even if the resources you're trading are "free." The other civ is still getting happiness from it. And I'm not saying the building never works. I am saying that it's dependent quite bit on diplomacy and the world market to achieve maximal benefit.

The gold bonuses for oases and oil are nice, but the tiles are a bit sparse. And desert is an uneven terrain type to be encouraged to rely upon.

Bazaar - 22
Floating Gardens - 7
Paper Maker - 17 People praise this to no end, but in the long run I'd rather have most of the others, even the hanging gardens
Pyramid - 42 Without a doubt the best building
Stele -41

Bazaar - 23
Floating Gardens - 4
Paper Maker - 15
Pyramid - 42
Stele -41

Any strategy can be greatly boosted by the Paper Maker, whereas only some will be boosted significantly by the Floating Gardens.

Bazaar - 23
Floating Gardens - 4
Paper Maker - 12 - Does benefit, but that benefit doesn't lead to the same fruition the other buildings do
Pyramid - 43 - Mixing science and Faith is surprisingly useful
Stele -41

Bazaar - 23
Floating Gardens - 5 All cities need food. Since this building multiplies all the food you work for that city, it essentially lowers the food maintenance. So if you want to turn all that food into production or gold, then be my guest. This doesn't need to even get remotely close to super-tall to be extremely flexible and effective. Just improve your tiles appropriately.
Paper Maker - 12
Pyramid - 40 I like the Stele more because it's available from the start. Science is important, but the reason both of these buildings are here is that they give you an easy shot to your religion.
Stele - 41

Bazaar-23
Floating Gardens-0 When I upvoted this a while ago, I didn't realize it still had the river/lake req. This is still very good, but you guys have convinced me that the paper maker might be slightly better. Slightly... All of these buildings are awesome though.
Paper Maker-9
Pyramid-40
Stele-44 Replace 2 faith with 1 faith and this building is still in the top 2 with Pyramids I think. It's that good.

Oh, well. I really never understood why people consider fresh water to be a significant complication, particularly for the Aztec. I just spawned two dozen Aztec games, and they had fresh water in the capital every time. And when I settle expansions, I usually don't have a problem settling a majority of my sites on fresh water. But, yeah, these are strong buildings.

Edit: I tried disabling start bias, and my rate for fresh water plummeted...to 80%. And most of the remainder still had fresh water within two turns of the start.

Bazaar-23
Paper Maker-6 Worst one left. Stele gives guaranteed religion, bazaar gives extra copy of luxury resources. Pyramid improves science, which makes a difference early in the game. The gold helps, but it is not so crucial.
Pyramid-41 Early science and faith generation. Grab messenger god pantheon to make the science generation even more potent.
Stele-44

Bazaar-20 Useful, but i usually invade other civs to get the luxuries I want.
Paper Maker-6
Pyramid-42 Great for early religion, and a building i build everywhere anyway.
Stele-44

Bazaar-20
Paper Maker-3 See my previous post for reason.
Pyramid-42
Stele-45 Fast faith generation. It can be a big difference in terms of fpt and the need to purchase great people if you decide to be an expanionist as Ethiopia. Cities would generate about 5fpt.

Top Bottom