Unique Civics

Would this mod, if / when it's BUG compatible, be RevDCM compatible?

Well, RevDCM has its own DLL changes, so the C++ code needs to be merged. Making it BUG compatible will not be enough on its own.

I think the First Amendment civic should replace the Free Religion civic as well. If you switch to the First Amendment civic, it should replace both Free Speech and Free Religion. To make up for requiring you to adopt two civics at one time, maybe the First Amendment civic should have another benefit as well?

Also, I have another idea for a unique civic:
Emancipation Proclamation (another unique civic for America; replaces Emancipation)
-Has the same traits as Emancipation, and it increases angry points in the cities of civilizations with Slavery.

What do you think of this civic?

I don't think that America practices much Freedom of Religion these days. At any rate, that would be extra coding to have both.

If my modmod is based off Orbis, should I take the hated Civic code from Lena or RifE?

Either. Simpler to use LENA if you have the sources.

Okay Asaf, I have to admit, your finished result in C++ is very convincing (like I expected), has a "like-it-should-be"-flavor, like good music.:) I curse Fireaxis/Aspyr once again for failing to convert the whole BTS with full platform compatibilty and modding facilties to the Mac!

Nothing to do with Firaxis, all Aspyr. And I don't blame them; Macs don't use DLLs, so the system would have to be completely reengineered.

Macs don't use DLLs, so the system would have to be completely reengineered.

I've never programmed to Mac, but looking it up revealed that there are dynamically loaded libraries in Mac (even if they're not DLL files).
So I assume it's mainly because Aspyr didn't want to put the extra resources for this (it wasn't in the contract, or they don't really care about the community, or both).

It could also be a result of Apple's restrictions :dunno: I'll believe anything on this company.

I think the First Amendment civic should replace the Free Religion civic as well. If you switch to the First Amendment civic, it should replace both Free Speech and Free Religion. To make up for requiring you to adopt two civics at one time, maybe the First Amendment civic should have another benefit as well?

Also, I have another idea for a unique civic:
Emancipation Proclamation (another unique civic for America; replaces Emancipation)
-Has the same traits as Emancipation, and it increases angry points in the cities of civilizations with Slavery.

What do you think of this civic?

As William said, both are not supported by the current code and require extra coding.
The emancipation idea is quite good, but I'd rather have 1 UC for each civ, I guess.

I've never programmed to Mac, but looking it up revealed that there are dynamically loaded libraries in Mac (even if they're not DLL files).
So I assume it's mainly because Aspyr didn't want to put the extra resources for this (it wasn't in the contract, or they don't really care about the community, or both).

It could also be a result of Apple's restrictions :dunno: I'll believe anything on this company.

As William said, both are not supported by the current code and require extra coding.
The emancipation idea is quite good, but I'd rather have 1 UC for each civ, I guess.

From what I am aware, it would have been possible, but the method used would be largely changed... IE, a large amount of development work that Aspyr, for one reason or another, chose not to commit to.

Aspyr hard-linked to the DLL when they created the first Mac version of Civ4. Actually from what I can tell it's written into the application itself; deleting the DLL doesn't even cause BTS to fail. They've since done the same thing for all the expansions and Civ5 too. From what they're said, Aspyr management basically decided it was too hard/expensive to do properly, even though a couple of the coders might have been willing to try.

I've thinking about this and perhaps it could be done. Just put the benefits of both into the one. Not sure what you would do with the other, but leave it. You could adopt your proposed FA civic and leave a different religion civic. Not sure how the AI would handle that, but if you used the hated Civic mod, you could ensure the AI won't adopt the redundant one.

More Asaf wonderfulyness!

This mod is truly an impressive achievement. Now all that is needed is for some kindly soul to merge the various mods that add extra functionality to civics, such as civic infos plus, RoM's new civics tags, maybe some stuff from FFH....

*hint*hint*

:mischief::D

Merging with RevDCM at moment, mostly ok. Code merged just need to compile the dll and see what I screwed up and fix it :)

Merging with RevDCM at moment, mostly ok. Code merged just need to compile the dll and see what I screwed up and fix it :)

Good luck :)

If you upload it as a mod, let me know and I'll add a link in the first post.

Hmm I was getting it to nearly compile with just a single unknown int but got that fixed and now

*fixed*

Ahh took a break after that post and then came back to it now, i think i missed some code to merge :)

*edit*

Yup just found it and now its compiled. Time to debug :p

Well I've got it compiled, don't get any asserts anymore. It will load to the main menu, in pedia i can see all the added civics fine but when i start a game I'll get all the way to the end and then ctd. Using VS but not able to fine what I messed up, i get a warning about unregister local variable (eFavoriteCivic in PlayerAI.cpp) on compile but its inside your code so not sure why. Hoping you can give me an idea of what to look for to fix it.

And now I've got it running, once or twice on start i get a BUG error for init.trade (iirc) but other than that now i need to play afew games and test if I can break it some how. Having trouble setting up VS to show whats seen in your guide, Stack Window and such is empty :) Going to re-read the guide in morning to see if missed something. If i can't break it by weekend and release it and start working on adding in a UC for all civs :)

Yup it's gone, when replacing code id accidentally replaced an extra line so it's all fine now. Next step if I can't break it by weekend is making more UC and probably merging the CivicInfo mod comp and any others I can see that give more options to use with civics to let me make the fit the civs :)

Top Bottom