Unit Request: Stryker

Wyrmshadow said:
You won't mind if I try to do a version with all the extra grate anti-RPG armor they are applying in-theater do you?
I won't mind if you do an exact duplicate in ever detail. Especially on this one as it is almost entirely your model that I am very grateful to be using.
I'm about making the stuff, not being territorial about others not having the same enjoyment.

Made the death more like described, but tried to keep it more consistent with what I have observed as working well within the game.
Got any thoughts, best share'em before I ship it.
The fire starts in more or less the right area. The tires burn (and deflate). More smoke.
I wanted to stay with 16 total frames, and also wanted to use slightly more flames then desribed (looks better) plus I wanted continueity of action.

if you fiddle with the texture settings of the fire, make it parametric instead of random, you can get a nize fuzzy one color efect that I use
or change the scale settings of the texture to give the fire different patterns throughout the animation

Thanks for the feedback Wyrmshadow, as always I appreciate it.
I think I prefer the flame effect to the fuzzy one. But I get your point that the flames are too uniform. Also, a few of them look stretched as I was trying to use only 4 flames and deform them to fit around the unit.
Here I use a few more. I think the changes make this version more closely resembles the actual death of a Stryker, as witnessed by plustaticman.

<Yawns>

Wow, haven't been back in a while.

I started working, but all my work was killed in a hard drive. Your Stryker looks great.

Hey, Bjorn, what are you doing after this?
I have a whole slew of modern mechinzed units I'd like to see done (or in some cases re-done) But I won't bother requesting them if you're busy...

Goldflash said:
Hey, Bjorn, what are you doing after this?
I have a whole slew of modern mechinzed units I'd like to see done (or in some cases re-done) But I won't bother requesting them if you're busy...
Up next is a Jedi Star Fighter. I have a few others piled up after that, but I prefer to not announce too far into the future. I sometimes have alot of time and can grind out several units in a week... other times it is several weeks for just one unit.

You might want to start a thread such as "Requested modern mech units" or something like that. I know Wyrmshadow was looking at which modern units to do once he hits a lull in his SOE frenzy. I'm not suggesting he is looking for requests, but such a thread might provide him (and others) with inspiration.. and the result as far as you'd be concerned would be the same.

Looks sharp. The destruction of a Stryker is a terrible thing. They start slow, then go hotter than hell. Gives you a minute or two to jump ship before it is all over. The reason the fires start there is because of designs "innovations" that usually cause the blast to blow away from the truck and protect the occupants. I kid you not, I rode a Stryker, still burning, back to the base. Great thing about them, they'll get you home nearly every time.

plustaticman said:
Looks sharp. The destruction of a Stryker is a terrible thing. They start slow, then go hotter than hell. Gives you a minute or two to jump ship before it is all over. The reason the fires start there is because of designs "innovations" that usually cause the blast to blow away from the truck and protect the occupants. I kid you not, I rode a Stryker, still burning, back to the base. Great thing about them, they'll get you home nearly every time.
http://www.combatreform.com/lavdanger.htm

Bjornlo said:
Up next is a Jedi Star Fighter. I have a few others piled up after that, but I prefer to not announce too far into the future. I sometimes have alot of time and can grind out several units in a week... other times it is several weeks for just one unit.

I don't suppose guilt works on you?:D ;)

Wyrmshadow said:

Hmm, sounds like a bunch of propaganda paid for by people who have a vested interest in the Gavin being produced enmasse again. I will say this though, it seems odd that no soldier who fought in a Stryker can be found to say that the Gavin is better. Including myself, and I won a free trip to Washington D.C. while riding in one.

Just a thought. Sorry for threadjacking.

It's not thread jacking, if it's about the same vehicle.
I've never been in a Stryker, nor did I get to serve in any of the other similar vehicles. I got a couple of rides in LAV25.
But, in reading up on the Stryker, before beging to make it, I did notice that there was considerable criticism of it. But strangely none from those who would be most concerned about any of the supposed limitations.

Sorry I'm not done yet. Real life issues have kept me extremely busy. The unit is very close to done, I just have to find a couple of hours to make the misc. graphics that go with it (pedia pics, sound files, text files, etc)

In the meantime for your amusement, here is a low-res low quality image of the file model. I re-did a few things. Minor details mostly.

This image is what the final wallpaper will look like. But, this image is lower in quality (for example no anti-aliasing was used)

BadKharma said:
Sounds like it is more political (monetary) than military interests in not producing it then.

The great humor in it I find is that many in congress thought the M1 Abrams to be a waste of money when it was developed too.

Sometimes I wonder if the politicians have us (the soldiers) in mind when they vote for weapons/equipment or if they have their jobs in mind.

plustaticman said:
Sometimes I wonder if the politicians have us (the soldiers) in mind when they vote for weapons/equipment or if they have their jobs in mind.

IMO they have their constituents' incomes in mind. Ditto little items like base closings etc.

-Oz

Top Bottom