1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unit strengths/cost: realistic

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by Dale, Jul 10, 2008.

1. danrh

danrh Chieftain

Well thats not really correct. Dale has had tens of thousands of discrete downloads of RtW and that is not counting the folks who will be playing the various versions that came with BtS and its updates. Of all those folks there are less than a dozen who have posted in this thread and only a few dozen who post on the whole RtW section. So much as we might like to think we somehow represent a majority (a very common feeling on forums I have found :) ) we would be kidding ourselves to believe it.

Dan

2. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

I'll try to finish the giant list quickly. Any time frame you want, or what?

EDIT: To Danrh,

Because those people don't post here, it's impossible to determine if they really want a more complex game or not, so you can't say they don't want it anymore than you can say they do.

3. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Very much the truth. :)

AOP2 currently has over 150,000 direct downloads from www.daleszone.com (and that's not including torrent downloads).

The 20-30 people who frequent this forum are definitely in the minority. :)

It's about the same comparison as the vocal 20,000 BtS MP users versus the 1 million SP users. :D

4. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

I just thought of how awesome it would be to play on a (global map) sized Europe Scenario. Think a country as small as Austria having 5+ Cities. I should begin drawing plans for it.

5. danrh

danrh Chieftain

Realy, you only just thought of that? ;)

Must admit my own enthusiasm for the idea is tempered by the fact that on the current global map it takes four minutes between turns on my machine. I'm currently at feb 1945 and its only the fact that I'm an anal SOB who likes closure that has got me this far :)

Dan

6. Dale

Dale Chieftain

:lol: .

7. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

My computer is screaming...

8. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

Its because I always thought Europe map WAS as big as the global, then I realized just how wrong I was.

Ah well, maybe the fact that people have confused my computer with an air contidioner might help with the processing problem.

9. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

Is that the laugh of us discovering yor deepest held secret before it could be revealed to the world, or is it the laugh of your evil side thinking of how much human suffering the creation of a superhuge Europe map will take to be completed?

For the latter, I think it's worth it.

10. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Nah it's for this quote, I know how he feels. ;)

Well, at least till I got my new computer (Athalon x64, 512 Nvidea 8800, 4GB RAM).

11. danrh

danrh Chieftain

Roll on tax return.

Dan

12. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

Well i have modded RTW to my liking, (as has danrh, btw my impressions of your changes were very good but didn't get much time on it since the new patch came out. :)) so i have added some new units and made gameplay changes to make it more enjoyable for me, such as beefing Russian units so i can turn off bitter winter and not effect gameplay too much.

Thats what i love about civ is that you can change some of the features quite easily.

:lol:

13. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

Does anyone yet know if it is possible to add a negative percent value to a unit as mentioned before? i.e. Anti-Air Gun, -50% vs. Gunpowder Units.

I think thats how amphibious assault give you the penalty, but I'm not sure.

14. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

^^^^Yes, just put -50 as the modifier as opposed to a positive value

15. danrh

danrh Chieftain

yeah I do it for my light tanks v other armour. Seems to work okay.

Dan

16. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Boozer's stats implemented for BETA3 (thanks heaps) with the following changes:

Japanese INF: Promotion Woodsman 1 & 2 (for the jungle bonuses)
    German TAN3 (Tiger): No double movement
    China TAN1: L3 Tankette (ITA TAN1)
    China TAN2: T-26 (USSR TAN1)
    China TAN3: M4 Sherman (USA TAN2)
    Russian INF: 15% city defense
    UK TAN1 (Mark IV): +15% Gun

17. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Doubled strength of Chinese INF and +50% city defense. Gets destroyed by Japan by start 1940 in 1936 Pacific.

18. SoldierCrush

SoldierCrush Chieftain

I got in this discussion late but either way.

NICE WORK

NOW all you all gotta do is inform the world gamers that an AXIS and ALLIES game has been created but its on mega steroids.

I have been looking for RTW for years and I cant believe it has been out for so long and I had no idea.

Cant wait to play GOLD.

FANTASTIC WORK DALE and all others who made contributions.

19. Fagan

Fagan Chieftain

Yes very nice work, but Chamboozer could you explain some choices I don't understand?

- The Crusader III is ridiculously strong. It is from far the strongest fast tank with 4 moves and strength 24. It's not only too strong from a gameplay point of view, but it's weird when compared for example to a similar German tank Panzer IV. Their speed was quite the same on road and off road and the Crusader III is weaker on everything else, from armor protection to guns. Moreover It didn't perform well against German units. It's speed should be lower to 3.

- The Crusader III has the desert free promotion, that is weird, the German Tanks and infantry should get them. Why? Because Allies started perform well in desert war only when German started have heavy problem of resources (oil, replacements) or later when allies just overload them with numbers. Otherwise German perform very well in desert.

- British advanced infantry are faster, stronger and are faster to produce than German infantry. Let say the faster production comes from foreign country reinforcement and help a little for weaker production potential but they should be a little weaker and not faster. 2 moves and strength 18 with the 2 nice free promotions (from the leader characteristics) compared with 20 for Germans with one weaker free promotion should be fine.

- The M2 is just too fast with 5 moves, it's just too much from a gameplay point of view (in fact move 4 is already too much but well that's another point). I agree USA tanks was a bit faster but moves of 5 is just weird for the game. In one move such tank can go through a whole foreign country without any fight. Not to mention that 5 attacks is A LOT.

- Italy infantry seems not reflect how poor fighter have been Italian during ww2. I read some stuff about the France defeat and one thing was quite funny. Despite morale was near to zero, Italy attack France when they enter war, they had 24 divisions and France had only 4, it ends in Italy failure, around 5000 of Italian lost and 8 lost for French. Finally Italy request help from German and then only succeed. In North Africa they also got defeat until German came to help. That said if objectively Italian Infantry should be very weak like Str 10, in practice for mod good behavior I'm not sure it would work without to weaken too much the Axe.

- A last remark is about the speed of the earth units, well it can work like that but I think it's not that cool for the gameplay. The problem is that in the game there is no interception, so too many moves break stuff too much and is unrealistic. In fact ships have the same problem and increased but reduce their number of move will not work well. The current balance is to 3 when 2 should be the fast units and 3 the very rare fastest units (light tanks weak enough).

20. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

1. Although I can't remember or check what Dale had it as in the game, the suggestions I put up had the Crusader as being slightly weaker than the Panzer IV, but also getting an antiarmor bonus, making them closer to even.

2. Crusaders had wide treads, keeping them from getting bogged down in the desert.

3. Again I can't remember what Dale has it set to, but for me their Infantry started out relatively even to Germany's then ended slightly weaker.

4. Perhaps, I wasn't 100% sure whether it would work well or not.

5. Italian Infantry (again, not sure what Dale has) are considerably weak in my suggestions.

6. Means its more important to establish a whole line of units, rather than just defending one square. Obviously the AI can't do this so I see your point.