Units: New Animation for Crossbowman

Dark Sheer

Deity
Finally completed the animation file for Crossbowman. :D As usual, you need to use either the hacked Civ3Edit or Gramphos' Civ3CopyTool to create a new unit call Crossbowman. If you uses the hacked Civ3Edit then do remember to create a folder under Civilization III\Art\units named Crossbowman (Civ3CopyTool will automatically create the folder for you).

Just unzip the file and copy everything except the two pcx files to this new directory. The two pcx files are Civilopedia icons and they should go to Civilization III\Art\Civilopedia\Icons\units.

No file is being replaced here so you should be safe to install this new unit even if this is your first time ;)

The files in the zip are as follow:

CrossbowmanDefault.flc
CrossbowmanRun.flc
CrossbowmanAttackA.flc
CrossbowmanFidget.flc
CrossbowmanDeath.flc
CrossbowmanFortify.flc
CrossbowmanVictory.flc
Crossbowman.INI
Crossbowmanlarge.pcx
Crossbowmansmall.pcx

Kindly give some feedback on this animation, be it good or bad :D

And Merry Christmas to all Civers around the world !!:santa:

Attachments

• crossbowman.zip
    255 KB · Views: 3,218
I am gonna download it anyway but is it animated in 360 degrees?

Originally posted by Gromit
I am gonna download it anyway but is it animated in 360 degrees?

Of course it is!! I did say animation right? :D

Cool, it's just that someone posted something a while ago either here or on apolyton and gave big slogans and stuff... the readme said that you had to go south to see animation.:king:

ehmm.... in my game it just shows up as a pikeman with either a big black or white box around himself... i copied the anims correctly.. will check it out with animshop tomorrow

sorry, i mislooked... it looks like a pikeman with a big box on the production box, and the active unit box

Here is a sample of the attack animation in GIF format. Good job dark sheer. :)

Attachments

• crossbowman.gif
    crossbowman.gif
    13 KB · Views: 8,000
Okay, I installed this properly, but when I started a new game this unit didn't show up in the Civlopedia. What did I do wrong? Thanks for the help.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by Aias
Okay, I installed this properly, but when I started a new game this unit didn't show up in the Civlopedia. What did I do wrong? Thanks for the help.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Well, you still need to add an entry for Crossbowman inside the Civilopedia before it will appear in it :)

To see how to add an entry in Civilopedia, read the thread on modding in the Tutorial section of the forum. Without an entry in the Civilopedia does not affect the unit in the game though ;)

GREAT job Dark Sheer :goodjob: It looks great and not to mention is nice to see a new animation and unit in the game!

Originally posted by KALIROB2k2
GREAT job Dark Sheer :goodjob: It looks great and not to mention is nice to see a new animation and unit in the game!

I am glad you guys like the animation :D

In fact, I have lots of idea on new unit animation and for 2002 you can expect a number of new animations from me to fill the gap for FIRAXIS ;)

Next in my plan/projects are :

Horse drawn canon (+1 movement)
Truck drawn artillery (+2 movement)
Zeppelin (someone's wishlist)
Bi-plane (someone's wishlist)
Middle Age Swordsman/Foot Soldier (someone's wishlist)
Pioneer (I was thinking of a horse drawn wagon :D)

Thats just to name a few. Now I have no idea what these units' stats will be. Someone will have to come up with the stats. And if anyone have a wish list and can supply me with the necessary picture and stats (like what dannyevilcat has done for the Perry Class Frigate), and of course how these unit attack (for the attack animation, if I can get a picture of an attack), I will try my best to fullfill the wish ;)

One thing I have realised after three animation, a ship/vehicle is much much easier to do as compared to a human !! :lol: While I have to draw the Perry almost from scratch (I used the Destroyer as a base for color and also for size comparison), the movement is much more easier to manage as compared to the crossbowman. Considering the arms and legs movement for the crossbowman, heh. ;)

Dark Sheer,

I've searched far and wide and can't figure out if there's an easy way to get an appropriate icon to show up in the cuild queue. Does one add the small pcx to the existing file, then assign some setting where we tell the game where to look for a crossbowman build queue icon in that file? I can find no straight forward answer to this question.

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT WORK!

Originally posted by JeffNebraska
Dark Sheer,

I've searched far and wide and can't figure out if there's an easy way to get an appropriate icon to show up in the cuild queue. Does one add the small pcx to the existing file, then assign some setting where we tell the game where to look for a crossbowman build queue icon in that file? I can find no straight forward answer to this question.

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT WORK!

To make the unit shows up in the build que it uses the icon you select in the editor. To add a crossbowman icon you need to edit your Units_32.pcx file. To get a copy of the units_32.pcx that has a crossbowman icon, look for it under the Perry Class Frigate thread.

:king:

Once again great job on these units Dark Sheer :goodjob: , I was wondering what units you plan on making in the future and which ones have you finished so far?
Also this is more of a wish myself heh I was wondering if you could post the links to all the units you have created so far on these boards? It would make it alot easier to keep track of yours, since so many people have started creating units. Thanks if you could so this, and I hope its not asking to much. :)

Once again great job on these units Dark Sheer :goodjob: , I was wondering what units you plan on making in the future and which ones have you finished so far?
Also this is more of a wish myself heh I was wondering if you could post the links to all the units you have created so far on these boards? It would make it alot easier to keep track of yours, since so many people have started creating units. Thanks if you could so this, and I hope its not asking to much. :)

Actually the links are all in my Signature :D

And I am currently working on a western bandit unit that I am converting from the Calvary. I am almost done with it except for death flc which I am expecting to complete by today.

:king:

Heh It was there all along? Boy am I feeling like a air head :crazyeyes But your working on a Western Bandit? heh that kicks @ss! A western unit, not to mention a reason to build the Calvary unit. Any chances of building any future type units? (Something to shoot for besides just normal old tank, maybe Vietnam Grenade Tossers? heh)

Heh It was there all along? Boy am I feeling like a air head :crazyeyes But your working on a Western Bandit? heh that kicks @ss! A western unit, not to mention a reason to build the Calvary unit. Any chances of building any future type units? (Something to shoot for besides just normal old tank, maybe Vietnam Grenade Tossers? heh)

I would love to do all those varieties. :D Of course, since each flc take me about a week or so I can't make every single flc available immediately. Besides, I would also prefer to give other people a chance to create some units flc. After all I have already given them a tutorial to help them with. ;)

Top Bottom