Unofficial Big Map Testing

1SDANi

Sister Lady
Spoiler Original Post :

Since I haven't had much modding to do lately, I decided that I might as well use my ample free time to see what gameplay on the big map would be like. So I spent a handful of hours over the last 3 days setting up the Cores, Flip Zones, Settler Maps, and War Maps of the pre-Byzantine big map civs. I tried to change every python value that would impact pre 330 AD gameplay, and I have now gotten the big map into a roughly playable state.

The areas chosen per civ are based on the small map's gameplay situation. In an attempt to replicate that gameplay as closely as possible, the Ethiopian core has become very... bizarre. Suggestions and pull requests for that and any other issues are greatly appreciated.

I have yet to work on the UHVs so depending on what they are and the state they were on Leoreth's branch they may be more or less unplayable. I have also not yet started work on the City Name Manager as that would take an absurd amount of work to do by hand for every pre 330 AD language.

I would never have been able to make these changes so rapidly if it weren't for the World Builder Core, Settler, and War Map Edit and Export features.

If anyone knows what the Normal and Broader Areas do and represent please tell me. I've done a bit of searching but outside of being somehow involved in stability when controlling enemy cities I have zero clue. I've yet to make any changes to them, as I'd rather not mess with values I don't understand.

This is a very early test build of the new map intended to serve as something to occupy my free time and satiate my curiosity of what playing on it is like. It will almost certainly not work correctly sometime after the Byzantines spawn in 330 AD in its current form, so I will not address bugs that occur after the spawn of the latest implemented civ.

I will continue implementing civs in the coming weeks. I also plan to eventually attempt to get this version up to date with DoC's latest develop. Should any updates come out for the official big map I will merge them into this.

EDIT: Please use hospital's version, linked in his post below. It is much further along in development than my own.

Last edited:
I've already completed Areas.py and all settler and war maps, albeit with minor edits to the terrain. I'll try to push everything up today when I get a stable WiFi connection. I didn't touch on the Normal and Broader areas anymore though as I have no full knowledge on them, but afaik it's all about the revealed area on spawn.

My work on the big map is up--it can be found here. I already merged it with the latest state of develop. I made various small changes across the map, mostly moving resources a bit. Full changelog to follow later :) I also created 600 AD and 1700 AD scenarios out of boredom and impatience. I know all these efforts are gonna be futile once more major map changes are incorporated, but I think it's worth it for the meantime. :lol:

PS: The map is based on the latest commit of the map branch upstream, and I'm not sure which of the many suggestions in the Map Suggestions development thread will be incorporated by Leo (especially finbros's Russia proposal), so I decided not to put them in first. Also, I think I overdid the 600 AD and 1700 AD scenarios (mainly too many cities and too much infrastructure and improvements?), so just let me know :)

PPS: I forgot to include this! Notes on the Python stuff I modified.
  • Areas.py - Everything. Much of the work had already been started by Bautos42 when he uploaded the original Python code to the forums, I just updated it.
  • Barbs.py - Update city coordinates, add more indie cities
  • CityNameManager.py - Added a new city name map for the new map. It's still unfinished—there are still unfinished areas, but I've filled in most of the regions to some extent. Also added new city name definitions.
  • Civilizations.py - Aside from adding starting techs to civilizations I made alive in the scenarios, I heavily modified those of many of the existing ones.
  • Consts.py - Minor updates to city coords and # of minor cities, and updated Trading Company plot lists.
  • CvRFCEventHandler.py - Added code to help many later civs with the starting infrastructure of their capitals. I think this is important especially since a bunch of the cities start out as indies, and usually by the time they flip, the infrastructure is not adequate for the newborn civs.
  • RFCUtils.py - France and Spain now get 2 Trading Company cities (I added a indie Cebu spawning in the Middle Ages, so it should be included during the Spanish TC event.
  • RiseAndFall.py
    • Removed foundCapitals(), updateGreatWall(), flipStartingTerritory(), prepareChina(). I preplaced all capitals in the 600 AD scenario already, so no need for this. I made China such that Guangzhou's territory is detached from the main chunk of territory, so the Great Wall shouldn't cover it.
    • Updated adjust1700ADCulture() to reflect the new map.
    • With the latest state of develop already merged into this, the 1700 AD scenario can now accurately depict pre-British India (mostly Mughal, with a small Maratha and a small Tamil kingdom). I updated init1700ADDiplomacy() accordingly, as well as allowed the late TC events to trigger in the 1700 AD scenario.
    • I placed a still-alive Sassanid Persia in the 600 AD scenario, but I made it unplayable, and I hardcoded it to collapse in 651 AD. (Pretty pointless, I know, but... yeah.)
    • The 600 AD scenario also has Korea with its capital not in Hanseong—it's in Seorabeol (now Gyeongju). I coded a capital change on 918 AD there.
    • Ayutthaya and Angkor can now coexist in the bigger map, so making the Thai spawn conditional; hence, I removed the corresponding code.
    • Made the flip capital on spawn apply to all civs (not counting rebirths) instead of Italy only.
  • Victory.py - I think this is not finished yet. I haven't played all civs yet, so I don't know which civs still don't have updated code to check for UHV goals, especially for those with territorial ones.
  • SettlerMaps.py & WarMaps.py - I remade pretty much all the settler and war maps, loosely copying the original one.

Last edited:
Good job! I begin as China and everything is good. The core area is a little large, but the game itself is perfect.

Now I try to begin as America, hope it can auto-run to 1775ad.

Not sure with the 1700 AD scenario, haven't tried autoplay with that yet. But I'm sure the 600 AD scenario works fine. :)

PS: I'm not sure about the balancing on Normal speed, but since the map is already 42% bigger, I test most stuff at Epic speed.

Last edited:
Do I need to download this separately or can I access it from the main git?

This is my fork of Leo's original repo. You can add a reference to it in the TortoiseGit settings, do a fetch, and checkout the branch. Alternatively, you can clone this again.

No matter how many times I do it I completely forget how to use git every time.

My work on the big map is up--it can be found here. I already merged it with the latest state of develop. I made various small changes across the map, mostly moving resources a bit. Full changelog to follow later :) I also created 600 AD and 1700 AD scenarios out of boredom and impatience. I know all these efforts are gonna be futile once more major map changes are incorporated, but I think it's worth it for the meantime. :lol:

PS: The map is based on the latest commit of the map branch upstream, and I'm not sure which of the many suggestions in the Map Suggestions development thread will be incorporated by Leo (especially finbros's Russia proposal), so I decided not to put them in first. Also, I think I overdid the 600 AD and 1700 AD scenarios (mainly too many cities and too much infrastructure and improvements?), so just let me know :)

PPS: I forgot to include this! Notes on the Python stuff I modified.
  • Areas.py - Everything. Much of the work had already been started by Bautos42 when he uploaded the original Python code to the forums, I just updated it.
  • Barbs.py - Update city coordinates, add more indie cities
  • CityNameManager.py - Added a new city name map for the new map. It's still unfinished—there are still unfinished areas, but I've filled in most of the regions to some extent. Also added new city name definitions.
  • Civilizations.py - Aside from adding starting techs to civilizations I made alive in the scenarios, I heavily modified those of many of the existing ones.
  • Consts.py - Minor updates to city coords and # of minor cities, and updated Trading Company plot lists.
  • CvRFCEventHandler.py - Added code to help many later civs with the starting infrastructure of their capitals. I think this is important especially since a bunch of the cities start out as indies, and usually by the time they flip, the infrastructure is not adequate for the newborn civs.
  • RFCUtils.py - France and Spain now get 2 Trading Company cities (I added a indie Cebu spawning in the Middle Ages, so it should be included during the Spanish TC event.
  • RiseAndFall.py
    • Removed foundCapitals(), updateGreatWall(), flipStartingTerritory(), prepareChina(). I preplaced all capitals in the 600 AD scenario already, so no need for this. I made China such that Guangzhou's territory is detached from the main chunk of territory, so the Great Wall shouldn't cover it.
    • Updated adjust1700ADCulture() to reflect the new map.
    • With the latest state of develop already merged into this, the 1700 AD scenario can now accurately depict pre-British India (mostly Mughal, with a small Maratha and a small Tamil kingdom). I updated init1700ADDiplomacy() accordingly, as well as allowed the late TC events to trigger in the 1700 AD scenario.
    • I placed a still-alive Sassanid Persia in the 600 AD scenario, but I made it unplayable, and I hardcoded it to collapse in 651 AD. (Pretty pointless, I know, but... yeah.)
    • The 600 AD scenario also has Korea with its capital not in Hanseong—it's in Seorabeol (now Gyeongju). I coded a capital change on 918 AD there.
    • Ayutthaya and Angkor can now coexist in the bigger map, so making the Thai spawn conditional; hence, I removed the corresponding code.
    • Made the flip capital on spawn apply to all civs (not counting rebirths) instead of Italy only.
  • Victory.py - I think this is not finished yet. I haven't played all civs yet, so I don't know which civs still don't have updated code to check for UHV goals, especially for those with territorial ones.
  • SettlerMaps.py & WarMaps.py - I remade pretty much all the settler and war maps, loosely copying the original one.

AWESOME:)
It saves all original trends but also produce new feeling - that redone world is much bigger!
and I don't think that map suggestions incude brilliant Finbros's Russia will spoil new map:)

I want to include as many of the suggestions in the map thread too! But then again, no idea on which of Finbros's suggestions would become official (as well as those of the others; there are a lot!), so I'm not sure what and what not to include :(

I want to include as many of the suggestions in the map thread too! But then again, no idea on which of Finbros's suggestions would become official (as well as those of the others; there are a lot!), so I'm not sure what and what not to include :(
Plus Australia, South America and even most of North America has barely been considered. Not to mention many other subcontinents/regions

This is my fork of Leo's original repo. You can add a reference to it in the TortoiseGit settings, do a fetch, and checkout the branch. Alternatively, you can clone this again.
How do you add a reference in the settings?

Right click the folder, hover over TortoiseGit, click on Settings, click on remote, enter a new remote.
Okay thanks, good start. Now what do I write for the Remote? Do I need to fill in URL, Push URL, Putty Key and Tags?

Some feedback:
Starting the Vikings with cities in the 600 AD scenario takes away the player's ability to place their own cities. I personally prefer having that freedom, because I sometimes do move things around, or try different configurations.

Edit: Gotland is excluded from the viking stability maps.
Edit 2: There's no cape / not enough cape to prevent Polynesia from easily reaching other civs

Last edited:
You also have to give it a name ofc
Yeah, that didn't seem to work either. The fetch failed. Says the repository [Link above] is not found.

Last edited:
Some feedback:
Starting the Vikings with cities in the 600 AD scenario takes away the player's ability to place their own cities. I personally prefer having that freedom, because I sometimes do move things around, or try different configurations.

Edit: Gotland is excluded from the viking stability maps.
Edit 2: There's no cape / not enough cape to prevent Polynesia from easily reaching other civs

I preplaced the cities since 600 AD is not the spawn turn of the Vikings. I also put in a bit more infrastructure and improvements to represent 550 - 600 AD. Not sure how others feel about this, though. You can WB them if you wish.

Re: Gotland, will look into it.

The original version of the map came without the capes. No idea where the capes are positioned in the original map, but will try to look at it.

Top Bottom