Unrelated Matters

SKILORD

Insurgent
Some of you might remember me.

About Two and a Half years ago I showed up here, I started writing some minor stories, and this is where I started writing. I left a while ago, after I quit NESes. However I've returned after a long absence to provide some of my newer stories, some that you guys haven't seen. They range from Alternate History, like 'Stains' and 'Ripper' to the direct civ story like 'Unrelated Matters' to the potentially civ related 'The Best Friend.'

There is a profound amount of adult language in this particular story. There are obscene gestures, there are fights between world leaders. There is humor, there is disgrace, there is war, there are a lot of deaths. It will keep your attention, let us pray that it keeps mine ;).

This particular story is largely satire. I manage to weave a cohesive plot through, but it's largely for fun. I had been being rather grave before I wrote this and needed it to lighten me up, it ended up being a lot graver than I had hoped.

Chapter One: A Case Study in Treachery

‘Is this how a hero feels?’ these were the thoughts that raced through Abraham’s mind as he lie face down in the pavement. Shaka, Temujin, stood laughing haughtily, slapping hands victoriously.

“Hey, next time you’ll send them silks on time, right b****?”

Lincoln propped himself up on one hand, using the other to slide across his bloodied forehead to one of the myriad wounds they had left him with, “Yeah.”

“Yes sir, B****,” Shaka corrected, more laughter.

Shaka and Temujin slipped into their ferarri, blaring rap and burning the tires out amid the ever echoing, mocking laughter. Chrome spinning down the street, Abraham lifted his hand to the exalted building, the symbol of peace and charity; the United Nations. A single finger flickered up from his hand.

“F*** you.”

-

Within the White House Lincoln was a man again, “Send a nurse,” he trotted briskly to the oval office.

His secretary shook her head, “Went out without the Service again, sir?”

“None of your damn business,” he slammed the door behind him.

He sat behind his desk, pulled out a yellow legal pad and began a ‘To-Do’ list.

The intercom flashed to life, “Your nurse, sir?”

“Send her in.”

The door opened unsteadily, the nurse peered in unsteadily, seeing Lincoln her hands almost instantly shot to her side and a disapproving look shadowed her face, without looking up he knew this, “close the door.”

“I can’t approve of a bunch of World Leaders acting like children.”

He waved it away, “bah, they’ll get it next time we convene.”

She frowned, “You’ve been saying that for years now, since the damn thing was built.”

“Yeah, Mary tells me the same thing. One of these days though, America shall rise again.”

Her frown only grew deeper, “I can’t see how even you could believe that.”

He frowned in return, moving his head and quite befuddling her bandaging, “We will, don’t worry about how, that’s my job.”

She shook her head.

“At least there’s nothing broken this time.”

He smiled, “You see, progress.”

Even she had to smile at this.

-

Otto von Bismarck was smiling, but it wasn’t a nice smile.

“Their day is coming, meine liebe

Joan grinned back at him, “Oui, they’ll pay.”

Otto pulled his guitar out from behind his desk; strumming a bit he began singing;

”Shaka thinks he’s so great
But we’ll show him, this is his fate.
He’ll die in unmarked grave; alone,
Unmarked, without his worldly chrome.”

Otto threw his head back and let forth a dramatic moan, and his door exploded.

“Mein Gott!” the secretary screamed, “Is Herr Bismarck dying!?”

Bismarck stopped suddenly, “Nein, Frau. Go back to work.”

As he slipped the guitar back behind the desk Joan, rubbing her ears asked, “How much longer, dear?”

Bismark smiled, “There are men who work on it even as we speak.”

Joan purred happily, pulling herself up from the bean-bag chair in the conference room and sauntering suggestively forwards. Bismarck did not neglect to lock the door against the receptionist.

Joan’s fingers slid across the bottom of her tank top and Bismarck growled.

The elevator in the reception room dinged in the distance, Bismarck ignored them, gunshots followed, but Bismarck couldn’t ignore them, bullets slammed into the door and Bismarck threw himself down, tugging at Joan.

She fell with a thud that said little of consciousness, blood began to seep out, staining his carpet. Otto, despite his stern Prussian outlook, began to weep quietly. He heard hands groping his door, riddled with bullets, muffled conversation swept through, then kicking, expletives floated clearly through, then a few more shots as the gunmen surrendered and returned to the elevator.

But Bismarck didn’t stir, he lay there with Joan, weeping and praying.

-

Mao’s putter slipped smoothly back into the case, “Another hole-in-one, sir, a most excellent game we are having today.”

Mao frowned at his caddy’s grin as he looked at the course, it was arranged in such a way as to assure Mao of a hole in one every time, frankly this disgusted Mao, but; having a penchant for golf shirts and berets, Mao persisted in this sport.

“The only real problem with a brutal dictatorship,” he looked at his caddy as he drove the cart, “Is that you loose all sense of accomplishment.”

He stopped the cart, teed off and laid the most pathetic drive that history had ever cringed in the face of, “Lets pick up that hole in one,” he could already see the attendants rushing the ball to the hole.

Another attendant, this one in a business suit; denoting a clerical servitude, rushed to him, “A message from Lincoln, most merciful master.”

Mao appraised the man, “You forgot to bow.”

Eyes widening in terror the suited man threw himself to the ground, kissing Mao’s shoes with unequivocal passion. Mao pulled his handgun out of his golf bag, shot the man on the spot and proceeded into his letter. Another attendant ran out for the body, hauling it up he caught Mao’s eyes, “I’ll need a turkey sandwich.”

Mao grinned at the letter, treachery never had been the American’s strong suit, but it seemed that Abraham was on to something.

Mao cackled with glee, pulling out his handheld PC to remind himself to write a reply.

Chapter 2: A Sort of Conference

Kentucky Fried Chicken, sat in the middle of the table, cards were strewn about it;

“Raise you York.” Queen Elizabeth intoned with solemnity, her face indecipherable behind her poker mask.

“I don’t have any cities that big!” Catherine exclaimed.

“Go with the Russian crown jewels then, lets get this going,” Elizabeth waved her hands dramatically.

Catherine touched her dainty tiara carefully, putting it down.

“Call you.”

Elizabeth tapped ash off of her cigar, looking over at Caeser who shrugged and tossed in an IOU worth twenty years in wine.

“Are you kidding me?”

“I…” Caeser frowned and shuffled through his pockets, “I dunno.”

“You think you’re a funny guy Julie?”

“I…” Caeser was almost crying, “I dunno.”

It was at this opportune moment that a messenger burst through the mahogany doors, “Joan of Arc is dead!”

“About f***in time. Who did it?”

“Noone knows, Bismarck was there, but he survived the attack, he blames the Iroquois.”

“Bah, everyone knows Shaka did it, he’s the bad-a** around here.”

Ceaser grinned, “How do you know everyone thinks that, we’re the first to hear of Joan’s death.”

Elizabeth took a long, measuring stare at him; she stubbed her cigar dramatically.

“Fascinating theory, Julie. However…” she trailed off, pondering arguments, “GET THE F*** OUTTA MY HOUSE!”

Catherine pulled back in terror, Ceaser reached for his part of the pot.

“YOU LEAVE IT!”

“But….”

A guard entered the room and took Julius by the arm, waving his free hand wildly Julius Ceaser was taken outside.

“Thinks he’s so damn smart.”

Catherine nodded urgently.

Elizabeth frowned as the messenger disappeared, “Well, looks like I win again this week,” she wrapped her arms around the pot and pulled it over to her side o the table, Catherine put her royal flush face down on the table and proceeded to the door.

-

“I call this meeting of the United Nations to order,” Abraham held the Gavel right now, but if things followed their regular pattern he would have a wedgie and be duct taped to the podium in, he checked his watch, two and a half minutes. He hoped he could draw the moment of silence out.

“A great world leader died yesterday, which is one of the chief reasons that this body is convened, I presently call for a moment of silence in memory of Joan of Arc, ruler of,” he checked his notes, “France.”

He was quiet and he waited, eyeing each of the delegations suspiciously, where would the trouble come from today, Temujin was looking back hostilely, Lincoln sighed.

When he supposed a moment had passed he looked around again, checking for signs of rebellion against the moment of silence. The only noise in the room was the slight sniffling of Otto von Bismarck; Abraham didn’t say a word.

Ten minutes later Shaka began shooting accusatory glares, other delegates would infrequently lift their heads but Bismarck’s weeping quickly returned their heads to an almost shameful hanging.

Three hours passed without incident without noise, Abraham looked up, “Any other business?”

Shaka placed one fist inside his other hand, giving threatening glares to Lincoln, who smiled back, “In that case this meeting is adjourned we’ll set the next meeting for tomorrow at…” he glanced at his watch, “three thirty.”

Lincoln turned and ran.

-

When Temujin and Shaka caught up to him, at the White House gate, Lincoln was well safe from the slings and arrows of their abuses, he spent the next half of an hour making faces at them from the safe side of the fence.

“Look at the b****,” Shaka pointed, Temujin nodded.

They threw rocks until a security officer made them stop, then they hopped into the Ferrari and drove away. Lincoln entered the White House victorious, holding himself proudly past his secretary, who seemed impressed, “You survived.”

Lincoln nodded, smiling, “Simple, really you just have to know how to manipulate a crowd.”

“Really? How?”

He frowned before answering, “I…. used their emotions to maintain…. A somber tone.”

She smiled, “Congratulations.”

He smiled back, “Any mail?”

She looked through her ‘In’ box, “Just a letter from the brutal Chinese Dictator.”

Abraham shook his head, “That’s no way to talk about Mao.”

She handed him the letter, “It’s on his address label.”

Chapter 3: Accusations

“Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust,” Elizabeth nodded in a sort of feigned mourning.

“But the memory remains,” Bismarck nodded in return, “Which reminds me.”

Bismarck mounted the casket, pulling his ever-handy guitar out from behind the roses he had delivered to the funeral personally. “Joan’s favorite song, and a personal favorite of mine, I would like to reproduce here for you.”

With that he burst into a rendition of ‘Welcome to the Jungle’ by Guns and Roses. Though Bismarck, with an eternity to practice, had become utterly masterful of the guitar his vocals were, to put terms politely, lacking.

“I always thought it’d be King Nothing,” Lincoln noted to an aide. Abraham loved Metallica, had had them perform several times at the White House, King Nothing was his favorite song, though Joan wasn’t terribly fond of Metallica.

A line began to form behind Bismarck, for musical dedications to the life of Joan of Arc. Elizabeth gave a harpsichord performance of ‘Come Together’, Catherine sang the blues, Lincoln was booed off the stage; likely a fortunate blow, King Nothing is particularly inappropriate for a head of state’s funeral, by Shaka and Temujin, who freestyled about events that they associated with Joan of Arc, such as Noah’s Flood.

A few genuine friends wept; Bismarck’s eyes had hardly cleared up during his song.

As they split into groups, taking turns to console Bismarck, and alternatively take extended smoking breaks, Abraham met eyes with Shaka, who smiled while pushing his doob into an ashtray, walking over to Lincoln in the least threatening manner he could manage.

“We all know you did it,” Shaka accused, “Might as well ‘fess up b****.”

Lincoln smiled, “We preach best what we need to hear most.”

A hand pulled back into a fist, but Shaka held it back, through Gritted teeth he muttered, “Don’t you ever make accusations like that b****, or you’ll find yourself in the obituaries.”

“I check every day anyways, hope springs eternal.”

Shaka paused, looking awkwardly at Abraham, “What the f*** does that mean? You wanna die b****?”

Abraham paused, scratched his chin, tapped his cigarette ashes into the bushes below them, “I’m….. not sure what I meant.”

“Murderer and Moron.”

Elizabeth took that moment to walk out onto the porch, her cigar unsheathed, “eh?”

“Just talking about how b**** here killed Joan,” Shaka gestured at Abraham.

Elizabeth laughed, “Lincoln? How about you?”

Shaka was aghast, “What makes you think you’re not a suspect?”

Elizabeth shrugged while Shaka went into a flurry of cursing.

“I suspect Bismarck,” Lincoln said matter of factly.

This drew stares, wondering amusement.

Elizabeth lit up her cigar, having, at long last, quit holding it out for Abraham or Shaka to light it, “Bismarck was so f***in whipped that I’m surprised he didn’t take the bullet for her.”

Lincoln and Shaka both grinned at this, “His sorrow seems too much,” Lincoln replied.

Shaka shook his head, lifting his glass towards the newly, and surprisingly quickly elected French Prime Minister, Pierre l’Ane, “That’s the sonofab**** there. First Anti-German in the French government in a long time, felt Joan was too weak,” Shaka pulled out a folder from his pocket, though it had been folded it quickly and resiliently popped out, “Born Pierre l’Ane, August the Fifth of 1897, entered into a French Boarding school in 1902, left it nine years later, the year after he left… the principal was fired for holding political views some would term… antiesatblishmentarian,” Shaka looked at the two of them, raising his eyebrows with suspicion, he turned the page, “In 1915 he entered the Parisian Academy of Law, a strongly Liberal and Anti-German Academy, there he met Jacques l'idiot, who profoundly radicalized him into a revolutionary, an undocumented source claims that despite his indoctrination Jacques pleaded with Pierre to work within the system and dismantle it from within. A month later Jacques died, some say of syphilis, I say it was a political assassination.”

“In 1920 he joined the notorious Law offices of Charles de Aquitaine. Notorious for keeping hundreds of thousands of suspected criminals from the steady hand of French justice. These suspected Anarchists wiped through their cases, clearing names and releasing back into the street these suspected thugs and hoodlums. They further entrenched Pierre into his indoctrination and taught him that violence could be safe. In 1930 he became a representative of the Parisian Congress and in 1934 he became a Congressman to the French National Congress. In 1939 he became Prime Minister following the death of a woman undocumented sources claim he hated.”

Elizabeth slowly clapped her hands, “I’m impressed, you’ve done your research into this.”

Abraham shook his head, “Every undocumented source in there, those are your own fevered imaginings aren’t they.”

Shaka shot a baleful glare at him, “Shut up b****.”

Elizabeth shook her head in amazement, “Such accusations Abraham, you shouldn’t be so bold in your finger pointing. Remember, whenever you point a finger, three more point back at you. Or are you covering for Pierre over there, that filthy anarchist?”

Abraham shook his head at the woman and turned away, maybe Otto needed consoling again.

-

“I call this meeting of the United Nations into session.”

Shaka stood, but it seemed respectful for a change.

“The chair recognizes Shaka of the Zulu.”

Shaka smiled and cleared his throat, “I, personally, as a member of this esteemed foundation am steadfastly grieved whenever anyone dies, especially a member. In this sense I call for the investigations, by this body of United…. Nations, into the murder of Joan of Arc by the ruthless and bloody men, Abraham Lincoln and Pierre l’Ane.”

Applause swept through the crowd, and the action passed, the trial date was set for next week, Bismarck stood, “In the same sense,” he sobbed, “I call for the investigations of Hiawatha and Chairman Mao.”

The Action passed and before long there was not a member of the UN not on trial. The political climate was charged and experienced politicians might have been able to cope, but these men were far too immature for that.

Chapter 4: Casus Belli

Sometimes fate deals us hands that we aren’t prepared for. Captain Heinrich Dulles was dealt such a hand, before the voyage of his ship his wife had walked out on him with, and if the neighbors were to be believed for, the dog, but his private matters weren’t the primary concern at the moment.

“Have they backed off yet?”

The private at the radar station shook his head, “No, sir, they keep shadowing us.”

Who would put submarines out to sea like that, he wondered, nuclear subs were presently restrained to dry-dock by the treaty of Leipzig.

“Think their packing?”

“Without a doubt sir, what other reason would they be on the coast like this?”

“Berlin’s barely out of their range, “ he noted, the aide nodded, “send out a transmission, we’re gonna have to stop ‘em.”

With that the ship shuddered in the waves, sirens began their automatic blaring, Dulles grabbed the intercom, “All hands to Battle Stations, this is not a drill.”

The rocking of the ship increased, Heinrich fell to the stiff metal floor, water began to lap at his hair.

“Scheisse.”

-

“Mein Gott,” the advisor’s face grew pale suddenly as the telephone drooped in hand, “How are we going to tell Herr Bismarck?”

“Tell him what?” his secretary asked him, to which he responded with the news that chilled the hearts of every German.

The aide walked down the halls, his feet brushing rapidly over the carpets, never wasting time to touch the mahogany rails, he knocked of Herr Bismarck’s door, which opened.

A suspicious looking man with a suit grinned and tipped his hat, a English bowler, before picking up his suit case and, neglecting to bid his host farewell, departed. Watching the other man retreat Bismarck’s mouth took a sneering, vengeful grin.

The aide watched for him to leave before bursting out the news, “Herr, Berlin, she has been struck. A Nuclear Missile, hit there twenty minutes ago, things are in a panic throughout the Fatherland, we don’t know who did it, we don’t know where they’ll strike next, but we’re nearly certain that they will.”

“Mein Gott,” Bismarck’s tear worn face grew furrowed once more, “I must depart at once for home, we must set things in order.”

“I will have your bags prepared sir.”

“Good, have a representative briefed and prepared to attend the U.N. trials in my stead.”

“Won’t they require you to be there for yours, sir?”

“Good God man! Berlin has been bombed, I think they can make an exception.”

The aide nodded, he hoped they did, but he had met the other world leaders, he wouldn’t have bet on it.

-

“I think he bombed it himself, to get out of these trials,” Elizabeth noted, taking a drag from her cigar.

“Yeah,” Shaka lifted up his hands and made the most amusing face he could garnish, “Oooh, look at me, I’m poor little Chancellor Bismarck, Ooooh, poor me, Berlin got bombed.”

Abraham, from the podium, frowned and slammed down his gavel, “I hereby call this meeting of the U.N. into order.”

“MURDERER!” came the outcry from Shaka and Elizabeth.

“I’m afraid,” Abraham gritted his teeth in annoyance, the last week had heard no end to such cries, it had become an almost universal greeting among the U.N, “trials don’t start until tomorrow.”

Catherine raised her hand daintily. How Catherine managed anything daintily was a wonder; that she managed to do everything that way was nothing short of miracle.

“The chair recognizes Catherine the Great of,” Lincoln checked his notes, “Russia.”

Catherine smiled pleasantly back at him, “Firstly it has become routine for Russian peasants to witness the flight of Iroquois jets, I would like to begin a motion for economic sanctions until such flights are placed at an end.”

Hiawatha looked suddenly stricken; he hadn’t anticipated anything of the sort to happen to him. Hiawatha was, if more popular than Lincoln only so because where Hiawatha could sit quietly in the back Lincoln was chairman.
“Secondly, in the past this legislation had put in place laws forbidding the use of Nuclear Submarines during peace. Such laws are being disregarded and therefore I ask that, in order for us to defend ourselves, they be rescinded, so that we have no need to fear these rouge nations.”

To this everyone stood up and applauded, ‘Here Here,’ was carried as almost as popular a chant as ‘Murderer.’

Lincoln took out the crude ‘Clue’ worksheet, which he had cleverly crossed out the names of such fanciful characters as ‘Professor Plum’ and replaced them with ‘Shaka.’ While everyone else in the room applauded Abraham put a big ‘C’ in one of the boxes next to the ‘Nuclear Terrorism’ category, which had once had something to do with the ‘Kitchen.’

Shaka stood up, waiting for the chair to recognize him, with almost an indignant sneer that Abraham did so.

“I wish to second both motions, and I would also like to put Catherine into the running for the ‘motion of the year’ award.”

Everyone applauded again and a quick vote, Abraham realized, would establish these as international law.

“I call for a recess and adjournment until after the trials.”

Such a motion would only require a second and a third, rather than the full vote that the other two motions would require, A glare at Hiawatha secured a second and Abraham was left staring about the room for another vote.

Temujin stood up, to the awe of Shaka, “I third the motion.”

Abraham slammed the gavel down, “I call this meeting adjourned.”

-

Shaka sulked out to his Ferarri, without Temujin for the first time in a long time.

A pile of ‘Twinkies’ sat in the glove compartment, Temujin’s favorite snack food. Shaka tapped his head against the leather steering wheel, a knock came at the glass.

He looked up to see a man with a distinct English hat and a perfectly kept suit flash him a smile before lifting a revolver to the window.

Echoes reverberated through the parking lot, searching vainly for company. The man in the suit turned around and walked away; footsteps echoing in his wake.

Chapter 5: Trial by Combat

Abraham Lincoln’s truck hauled through the streets, swerving through traffic, AC/DC blaring over the system. Lincoln tapped the steering wheel, humming along to ‘To Those About to Rock (We Salute You)” The U.N. building loomed, foreboding on the horizon, Lincoln frowned, he supposed it would be best to have some idea of what was going on in the world if he was about to discuss it. He flicked off his CD player and the Radio News Station (Radio News AM 78.6, listened to by all of three people, one of whom must be checked for vital signs every half hour). The announcer’s monotone came crisp over the speakers.

“For those of you just tuning in,” Lincoln marveled at his luck at picking the precise moment when the dialogue would be easiest to write, “The past day has seen the death of a second world leader, Shaka of the Zulu was assassinated in his Ferrari yesterday following a meeting of the United Nations, though the meeting was scheduled to last another two hours it was adjourned early by U.N. Chairman and alleged president of the United States, Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln’s role in the attack is being investigated, it is a dark, dark day in the history of international relations.”

Abraham shook his head, pulling into the U.N. parking lot with practiced ease, though he shuddered at the thought. What if there was a murderer waiting in there for him? These might be his last moments alive, he flashed his identification to the security guard, who nodded him in.

“MURDERER!” shouted Elizabeth, who was only now pulling herself out of her Austin Healey 3000. Yesterday Abraham would have responded in like, but after listening to the radio he was unsure of how seriously she meant it.

He turned from her and walked briskly inside, his suitcase full of evidence in his defense in Joan’s murder tapping against the side of his leg.

-

The Judge, a long faced fellow who appeared far older than the oldest of the others in the room, pounded his gavel down, “Mr, Lincoln, Mr. l’Ane, I suppose you will have some evidence in your defense.”

Abraham stood up, “Indeed we do.”

Nodding to Pierre he stepped forward to look at the jury, what remained of the U.N. Zululand had yet to replace Shaka, Bismarck’s replacement, Dietrich Dambach, who had been beforehand his most trusted aide and the only one from whom it was believed that Bismarck could hear about the attack on Berlin without killing himself, looked unsteady in judging the other delegates. Pierre held his head in his hands back at their seat, Abraham opened up his briefcase and, putting his ‘Clue’ worksheet to the side, placed out several files.

“My friends and fellow delegates, we are afraid.”

Assent spread through the crowd like wildfire, nods back and forth, Catherine was pale, Elizabeth looked hungry, angry, ready to attack any small threat before it became too strong for her to handle, Hiawatha was quiet as he always was, but shuddered frequently in his seat.

“Two have died, two of us,” Abraham waved his arms for effect, “We are respected, revered, we, surrounded by our bodyguards, have a sense of invincibility, or at least we did two weeks ago. Now we are weak, vulnerable, now we dart from shadow to shadow, now we hide and flee. We are not leaders any longer. We bicker amongst ourselves, we fight and we watch as others die. It could be worse, we could have nuclear bombs going off in the backyard as Otto did, we might be the victims of this witchhunt.

“I am afraid, my colleagues, not of the death that awaits us, but of the fear that it instills in each and every one of you. I am afraid.”

Abraham paused and turned to the judge.

The judge leaned forward, “Charming story, Mr. Lincoln, what relevance does it have?”

Lincoln paused, turned to Pierre, who shrugged at him.

The jury applauded, Lincoln sat down.

“Do you have any evidence Mr. Lincoln?”

Abraham looked over at Pierre, who shrugged, “Not really.”

“In that case we move over to the Prosecution. Mr. Ahaz, have you any witnesses or evidence?”

Mr Ahaz looked evasively at the floor, “Not really.”

The judge rolled his eyes, his only consolation was that at least these trials would go by quickly. “The jury has fifteen minutes to convene and decide.”

Elizabeth stood up, “Is that really enough time with a case of this import?”

The judge panicked, his eyes darted around the courtroom for anything, “Ummm….”

Elizabeth smiled, the other jurors followed her lead.

“Ms,” the judge stuttered, “Rather Queen Elizabeth, I would just as soon not hold you in contempt of court, don’t force my hand.”

Silence swept across the courtroom, one could taste Elizabeth’s wrath in her stare.

The judge swept his hand across his sweaty brow as the jury filed out of the room.

-

“In the case of Temujin versus the United Nations we are left with little recourse but a verdict of innocence on the behalf of Temujin. On this trials ‘jury awards’ we award Ms. Catherine of Russia with ‘Best Hairdo,’ Mr. Lincoln with Best Dressed in the Male division,”

“I coulda won if I’d wanted to,” grumbled Hiawatha.

The other awards were similarly stupid, however Lincoln planned to spend his three-dollar gift certificate to the ‘Dollar Marte’ as soon as the session let out, the other leaders had likewise ambitions towards their rewards.

The judge, gritting his teeth after what had been an exceptionally long day, hammered his gavel down, “This court is adjourned, may God have mercy on your souls.”

-

Abraham stood in front of the small crowd, “The official inquiry into the murder of Shaka begins today. The Inquiry is not to be confused with the trial. We have established the inquiry in order to tell if there is sufficient evidence for trial, do we all understand?”

Nodding pervaded the room, “The first piece of evidence, which is to be examined for relevance and accuracy, are the videos from the parking lot security cameras,” Abraham looked up as a projection screen rolled out above him and returned to his seat as the video began. Dietrich sat next to him, smiling as Abraham sat.

As the video progressed, though the camera was situated in such a way that the gunman showed only his back, the only mark of any distinction being a black bowler, Dietrich’s eyes widened, and he was silent.

As the Video came to a close Abraham stood up, turning to the crowd, “Lacking a clear view of the gunman, this evidence is of little use, I move that it be stricken as irrelevant.”

Catherine stood up, she wanted the nice judge-man to return and realized that he would do no such thing without evidence, “I like it.”

“Why?” Lincoln asked.

Catherine sat down.

“Any other objections?” Lincoln asked.

Dietrich looked up at the bowler, damnably frozen onto the screen.

And there was silence.

-

Lincoln looked out the window at the setting sun, it had been a long day of viewing evidence, he sighed.

“One last matter, unrelated to the rest of the days work.”

The crowd turned its weary eyes on him.

“The trials to ascertain the murderer of Joan of Arc failed to produce a murderer, we need a new system to determine the murderer.”

Hiawatha raised his hand, as the crowd groaned Lincoln recognized him, “I recommend we play dice for it.”

Elizabeth stood, “We shall have no such thing, such important matters should not be determined by random chance,” everyone nodded, and clapped their hands politely.

“What do you recommend?” Hiawatha asked.

“Why…” she thought for a moment then, shruggung, “Trial by Combat used to work quite nicely in Medieval Britain.”

There was an utter, dominating silence in the room, Temujin stood tall, with a cruel glint in his eyes, “I second the motion.”

Chapter 6: Sedition

Mao, with a beard that was all too quick to reveal his identity, pulled up his chair while looking around.

“We’re supposed to be disguised,” Lincoln, who was dressed as a large Oriental man, noted angrily.

Mao nodded, causing his tall, black hat to fall off, he scrambled to pull it off of the floor, “I know, I tried. Lets get to business.”

The waitress approached, “Can I get you gentlemen anything to drink?” She had a Southern Twang to her voice and the words were so sugar coated that men better controlled by their emotions would have scrambled for the most expensive drink on the menu.

“Water, please,” Lincoln waved her off, Mao growled something savage.

“We don’t serve that here,” she said to Mao

He growled again, “A Strawberry Daiquiri then.”

She smiled and walked off to the kitchen.

“Now, to business, I see that our first matter has been accomplished,” Mao said.

“Certainly seems so, but it seems there’s another player in our little game,” Lincoln nodded.

“You mean that you didn’t order Shaka shot?”

Lincoln shook his head, “Shaka wasn’t the target yet.”

“Damn, who was it?”

Lincoln smiled and leaned across the table and said with supreme calmness, “I have no f***ing clue.”

Mao pulled back, “Motherf***.”

Lincoln smiled at him, “Look at it as a challenge, not as a threat. Sure, this kid might kill one or two people, but that’s not really much when you compare, is it?”

“I don’t like challenges that can kill me.”

Lincoln laughed, sitting back, “If Motherf***er gets that far, let him, but he ain’t playin hardball yet.”

“What’s the next step?”

Lincoln lit up a cigarette, a Marlboro, smiling, “Russia.”

-

An Iroquois jet sped overhead, the makings were clear, almost exaggerated, Nina Tolstov was used to the noise by now, she gave it a cursory glance, for some reason the design seemed different, fatter than usual, Nina Tolstov turned back to the plow, returned her attention to the field as overhead the jet sped towards St. Petersburg.

As she turned her plow to return home, it was a poor family, they could only afford a thin track of land, she saw the jet, now a distant image, and then she saw the flames rushing towards the heavens and she heard the distant wail of fire engines.

-

“Napalm, Motherf***ing Napalm, do you have any idea how many conventions are being violated?” Catherine’s plump face turned red as she screamed at the crowd, “There are blocks of Petrograd that are still on fire.”

Lincoln slammed his gavel down with authority, he was without fear now, he was no longer only a nominal head of the UN, his powers had grown, his authority had expanded with every attack, with every bullet fired, “Catherine, I must ask you to sit.”

She sat, obedient, “We have no leads on the attacker either; my top analysts tell me that the paint is no indication, the markings were mildly incorrect. I do know this, Russia is being placed under martial law until this passes, I recommend the rest of you do the same if you want to be safe from this.”

Dietrich shuddered in his seat, his health seemed to be waning, bags had appeared under his eyes since the fruitless hearing of Shaka’s evidence. He was skittery, and his name was coming to be mentioned in several of the myriad conspiracy theories that floated through the U.N.

“That’s quite enough!” Lincoln demanded from his podium. Silence pervaded the room.

Mandu, the man who had replaced Shaka after his demise, stood to be recognized. He lacked Shaka’s eloquence and charisma, but was a competent trustworthy sort.

“The chair recognizes Mandu of the Zulu.”

Mandu rose, “My fellow delegates, fear controls this room. We dash about, pointing fingers, screaming of our losses. We want to reap our revenge, but we don’t know to who. We are afraid to follow in the footsteps of my predecessor. I am not afraid, my friends, I am not. There is no warriors bravado, but I do not fear this that I cannot fight, I consign myself to my fate, and hoping the best I make the path for a fate of greatness, but I do not fear the grave. I assure you that worry will not lengthen your days, nor will hatred increase your hours. Let us not give way to fearful attacks, let us be orderly and calm.”

He managed to strike a common key somehow with his simple rhetoric, all stood and applauded, Mao met eyes with Lincoln, they sneered together while applauding.

Yes, Lincoln realized, something would have to be done.

-

The parking lot was empty now, while Mandu strode out to his simple Honda, looking quietly around for shooters, he had stayed long after the others had left to catch up with paperwork that the Zulu were behind on.

“Hello Mandu,” Lincoln smiled mischievously, appearing from behind a pilliar, “Excellent speech today.”

Mandu smiled back, it was a timid smile, “Yes, thank you Mister Chairman.”

“You know, I think that’s exactly what we needed to hear in order to become effective again.”

Mandu’s smile grew a bit, “Whatever it takes to help, sir.”

Lincoln frowned, “What I’m worried about is that you aren’t helping, I remember the days before this, everything was much harder for me. I’m afraid that I can’t have you calming them, they turn to me in their panic, I am sorry.”

Mandu frowned, “You can’t silence me.”

Lincoln pulled his handgun out of its holster, “I am sorry,” he assured his victim.

After the shots stopped reverberating through the parking lot Lincoln walked back over to the camera and plugged it back in, then, as calm as though nothing had transpired, Lincoln returned to his truck and returned home.

Chapter 7: In Violentae Veritas

Blood seeped slowly down the pavement of the U.N. covered garage, the camera, a black and white, didn’t notice.

Elizabeth was the first to arrive, she was well early, before the guards had even arrived, she didn’t notice the blood, so wrapped up in her plans for the armor that stuffed the trunk of her Austin Healey that she didn’t notice the body,

THUMPITAH!

Elizabeth slammed on the brakes, hurled open the door, looked under her tires, she didn’t think a new speed bump had been installed.

“S***,” something had splashed red paint on the underside of her green car, she turned back to look at what she might have run over.

The scream bit at her throat, but her blood ran cold. Elizabeth considered taking a pulse, but the head was well caved in, a tire mark running through it, her eyes darted to the camera which had served as witness to her murder, she chuckled about diplomatic immunity while she stuck her hand into the pocket, to steal whatever money the man had in his wallet. His Zulu drivers license dropped out.

Looking into the familiar features she almost screamed again. Her eyes darted around again, this time panicked, she shoved the money into her purse and she grabbed the arm.

With superhuman effort she dragged the body to the edge of the parking garage, it was only a second floor. A reporter, probably investigating one of the other murders waved to her and took her picture as she waved and smiled back.

It couldn’t have looked like an effective suicide anyway, she decided, and tossed the body into the back of a cart that the security guards used to ensure the maintenance of the strict assigned parking rules. Hopping into the drivers seat she floored it, sending her to it’s top speed of 8 mph.

In this fashion she spent the next twenty minutes working her way up to the fifth floor, where she tossed the body off of the cart and into the blooming morning traffic, where another driver would likely run the body over.

She ran back to her car, in five minutes, and pulled it to the side, where she used a water hose to liberally apply cleanliness to the underside of her Austin.

“Out damned spot,” she muttered, kicking some of the less coercible blood. She turned the hose somewhat to the congealed remains on the cement. A security guard finally arrived after she felt she had done a fair enough job.

“Hello, mam,” he smiled kindly at her.

“Yes, hello, fine morning,” she felt the inexplicable desire to confess herself, but she assured herself that she had done no wrong, and repressed it.

“That’s a nice car you’ve got there,” he observed.

She smiled in return, “Wanna get to know the back seat?”

He frowned, “Heahl, you too old fowh me.”

She frowned, and stepped into it, driving to her parking spot, though she suspected that the assignments wouldn’t be enforced today.

-

“I suppose, having given him sufficient time, we should begin this session without representative Mandu,” most nodded in return to this, Lincoln concealed his confusion, Mandu had been in no shape to escape of himself, he wondered what had become of the body.

“The first round of trial by combat, for the guilt of Joan’s murder begins this afternoon, I would like to remind you all of the rules, no putting gum in the other contestant’s hair, but otherwise free for all, and do remember that we will be using a usual tournament layout, if you win one fight you’re free to go,” the delegates nodded silently at Abraham as he said this, smiling benignly. The stared up earnestly, like frightened children to a father who could protect them all too well.

Hiawatha spat out his gum, while cursing, from the back row, he slipped it on the back of the seat in front of him, Abraham noticed this.

“What is this?”

Hiawatha looked around, Lincoln called him by name.

“Nothing, sir”

“I saw you chewing on something?”

“No, sir.”

Pierre, who had turned around with the rest, leaned over his seat, and looked at the back. “EEEEWWWW.”

“What is it Pierre?”

“Gum.”

“Gum, Mr. Hiawatha?”

He nodded solemnly.

“Did you bring enough for everyone?”

He shook his head.

Lincoln pulled out his sheet and wrote a note to himself, “You will write a note of apology to all of the delegates, and I want a heartfelt apology, and I don’t want your secretary to write it. And I want them personalized, by tomorrow.”

Hiawatha nodded his head solemnly, “Yes, sir.”

“Good.”

At that moment the doors crept, cracking open. Otto von Bismarck stood on the other side, frowning.

“Dietrich, your assistance will no longer be required.”

“Dietrich assumed an air, not of relief, but rather of scorn and fear, “Herr Bismarck, we must have lunch together to discuss… pressing matters.”

“Indeed, but until then, he gestured for the door.”

“I feel it would be for the best that I stay until after lunch, you may fight in the trials though.”

“I would rather you left.”

They bickered for five minutes, until Lincoln slammed the gavel down, “Dietrich will stay.”

Dietrich, confident in Lincoln absolute authority, smiled complacently.

“What right have you to say how the German delegation will be run?”

Lincoln frowned scornfully, and almost instinctively once submissively bowed heads rose, like predators catching wind of game afoot.

“As Chairman I have authority to maintain order in the council room, I dictate that Dietrich stays, not as German representative, you shall be,” he sneered, “adequate for that task, but merely as a guest of the chairman. We have pressing matters to attend to and I will not tolerate any more pointless debate.”

Bismarck looked up forlornly to Temujin, who shrugged in return; he turned to Dietrich, “Much to discuss.”

“At lunch,” Lincoln indicated towards Bismarck’s seat.

-

“In my day, Lincoln was considered a moron, he was ritually beaten every meeting, and while I never took part in those beatings, I supported them wholeheartedly. What is this that I see today?”

Dietrich picked up his sandwich, looked at it quizzically, “This used to be a turkey, someone killed it, and now I’m eating it. They murdered it that I could eat, and I’m famished. What if they had murdered it without reason? Even as it stands, even with basis of reason, which is more morally attractive, a life or my meager hunger? From the turkey’s perspective, of course, it is all the vilest tyranny.”

“What does this have to do with Lincoln?”

“Well, what does Lincoln have to do with a murderer, perhaps one who wears a bowler?”

Bismarck’s back straightened suddenly, “You mean?”

“What does he have to do with a ruler who would hire such a man to kill another ruler?”

Bismarck was intent, eyes wide in understanding, “You mean to say that Lincoln…”

“Is antithesis to everything that you ever stood for, you lying murdering filth! Chairman Lincoln is a great and benevolent man, he protects us, protects us from men like you, you filthy animal, you murderer!”

Others in the restaurant turned and peered as Dietrich screamed accusations at his employer and president. Bismarck for his part, after a mild initial shock, managed to take it quietly and rather well enough as to allay most fears as to the literal meaning of Dietrich’s words. Soon realizing that his words were not summoning the police and were having little affect Dietrich was silent.

Bismarck leaned over the table, “You don’t understand the situation.”

“Yes, I do. I understand far better than you want me to, than you could ever imagine or fear.”

Bismarck smiled, “I doubt it.”

With that he picked up his sandwich and took a bite, “Let this turkey die that I may feast. My sustenance is my highest, most noble goal.”

Dietrich sneered at him, “Would that I were not German.”

Bismarck chuckled, “Would that you weren’t? You are unfit to call yourself one, and so call yourself by some other nation then.”

Dietrich stood, placing his napkin down with a violent calm, and left the restaurant.

-

Lincoln peered at the opponents, knowing that he stood little chance of victory.

“Who you got?” Julius Caesar asked.

“Bismarck,” Abraham frowned, “You’ve got Mao.”

Julius pulled out his Gladius, swinging it about for a bit, “I’ll survive.”

Lincoln smiled at him, “Lucky.”

The roar of Dietrich’s motorcycle suddenly burst forth from the road, tugging off his helmet, “Who has Bismarck?”

Lincoln nodded, Dietrich shook his head, “Bismarck is mine.”

-

She sat in the passenger’s seat, which was a rarity, “You sure you’re alright?”

Elizabeth smiled, “Yes, Catherine, I’m quite fine.”

“You look really pale today.”

“The milk was a little cold this morning.”

Catherine nodded, pulling to the side of the road, next to the field where the combats were scheduled to begin.

“You sure you’re up to this.”

Bags had set themselves under her white, sickly eyes, “I’ll be fine.”

Catherine frowned, knowing better. The lie survived.

“So, when do we get going at this?”

Catherine put down her ‘Big Slurp’ and checked the watch that adorned her swollen wrist, “Twenty minutes.”

Elizabeth nodded in return, “I’d better go get my armor on.”

Catherine frowned, “You sure you don’t want to ask for a substitute?”

“Dammit Catherine, I’ll f***in be alright.”

Catherine lifted her hands in surrender as Elizabeth stood up and stormed out of the car.

-

“The first battle,” the announcer spoke in a monotone, he was uninteresting almost to the point that it sparked interest, but he was the best that they had been able to afford, “will be between Otto von Bismarck and…. It seems that Abraham Lincoln has a substitute, Dietrich Franz.”

Bismarck hopped the fence and approached the center of the field, where Dietrich stood, alone.

“Et tu, Brute?”

Dietrich spat, “You dare? You call me a traitor even while you bear blood on your hands, you dare to repeat those words that the fatherland must have spoken ever so frequently to you, as you hired bloody handed bandits to procure your will. You dare call me a traitor. If a traitor then is a man who will stand up against such a cold hearted tyrant, if a traitor is such a man who would stand for glory of his fatherland against the likes of you, then yes, Et ego. Et Ego a thousand times, may it be repeated to you in hell.”

“So proud of Germany now?”

“I discovered the difference between the Fatherland and the b*stard who tries to kill it with his tyranny.”

“F*** you.”

Lifting the point of the sword in accusation, “So be it.”

Bismarck screamed, a vent of frustrations and hatred that had been seething all morning, and charged, lifting his own sword into the air.

Dietrich quickly pulled out a gin and shot him.

“Hey! That’s against the rules!” Temujin proclaimed.

Stepping across the field to take a pulse, Lincoln noted, “Doesn’t do this b****** a lot of good though.”

The announcer’s dull voice trod across the speakers, “It seems that one of the contestants has shot the other.”

“Sorry,” Dietrich said, earning him a glare from Lincoln.

Bismarck coughed up some blood and was silent.

Lincoln seized the opportunity, and took a microphone, “Well, I suppose we can term that ‘unfortunate’, but let’s try to see the positive. The basic idea to this tournament was that the person we accused wouldn’t be able to say anything because it had been established that we could beat them up, with Bismarck dead, it’s safe to proclaim that he did it and get on with things.”

Everyone applauded.

Then they went home.

-

Temujin frowned in his car, he had been looking forward to the trials and found their conclusion anticlimactic, likewise he had hoped that Bismarck would revive the anti-Lincoln sentiment. He reached into his glove compartment and recovered a Twinkie, placing it in his mouth he wondered if perhaps he should just pull out his ‘9’ from under the seat and ‘cap’ Lincoln right now.

He held the gun up to the light.

And decided against it.

-

“Could you please repeat that order?” the voice was amused over the intercom.

“Twenty One Junior Frosties.”

“How many?”

Senator Duncan McDowle grinned, “Twenty One.”

“Wouldn’t it be more efficient to get a few regular sized Frosties?”

Duncan grinned, “I have cupons.”

Grumbling was audible, and the voice asked him to pull forward.

Which is when another man, in a business suit, hopped into the passenger side of his car.

“What the..?”

“It doesn’t matter who I am.”

“It sure as hell does if you’re going to be in this car,” Duncan fingered the gun he kept under his jacket.

“In that case,” the other man extended his hand, “Call me James Smiley.”

Duncan grinned at this, ignoring the offered hand, “I don’t believe you.”

“Why not.”

“It’s treason to talk to you, men like that don’t barge into cars like madmen.”

“I have a proposition for you, and your schedule was full.”

“Look,” Duncan had straightened himself from the slump he had indulged earlier and took a firmer grip on the handgun. The car behind him started honking its horn, “If you are James Smiley, leader of Prometheus’ Flame, then why would you talk to me?”

“Would you like to run for president Mr. McDowle?”

Duncan grinned, “We don’t have presidential elections in America, Mr. Smiley.”

“Don’t reject me out of hand,” Smiley slid a paper, upon which was scrawled a number across the dashboard, “Think about it.”

And with that he was gone.

Chapter 8: Confessions

Elizabeth’s fist wavered over the door and pulled away, she paced back and forth, peering at the expensive wood of the door.

A voice came from nowhere, “What is it, dear madam?”

She was startled, “Just…. Needed to talk to chairman Lincoln.”

“He’ll see you shortly, please come inside.”

“Damn cameras,” Elizabeth cursed under her breath, Lincoln had become omnipresent through the cameras, but for sake of her safety, she felt them justified.

She sat in the waiting room of the office, Lincoln had begun spending more and more time here than in the White House, in the old days she would have had to drive all the way down to Pennsylvania Avenue to meet him, Elizabeth had shunned driving lately, always afraid that a mark of red would betray her.

“He will see you now,” the receptionist shared a smile with her. A dark toned Zulu walked out from the office, smiling broadly and shaking hands enthusiastically with Lincoln.

As he left Lincoln smiled to her, indicating his office and explaining, “I was granted veto powers over the delegations, the Zulu had just sent Shikur for approval, sorry for the wait."

“No, its nothing,” she waved him off feebly.

“You look rather pale, is it too cold in my waiting room?” he pulled his chair up to his desk, seating himself.

“No, that’s fine, but it is this that I need to talk to you about.”

Lincoln nodded reassuringly, “You can tell me anything that’s bothering you.”

Elizabeth nodded and smiled as any inferior would, “Yesterday morning…”

She stuttered unintelligibly for a moment, Lincoln smiled, “Yes dear?”

“I’ve killed a man.”

Lincoln frowns back at her, “Who was it, that you feel you’ve killed?”

Her own frown entrenched itself even deeper as her eyes darted across the room to make sure that she couldn’t see any cameras, “Mandu. He was lying in the middle of the parking lot and I ran over him and disposed of the body.”

Lincoln frowned even further, with a sigh he began, “You know, I should probably have you arrested.”

Elizabeth nodded furiously, weeping.

“But I like you Elizabeth, I always have.”

The nodding continued, hopeful, “I needed someone to confide in and I just knew you were the man to do it. Is there anything I can do in return, sir? You have no idea how much you’ve lifted off of my shoulders.”

Lincoln smiled benignly at her and slid across the table a sheet of paper, “Write down the codes for the British Warheads.”

Elizabeth shook her head in confusion, “The band?’

Lincoln smiled, “The warheads, Elizabeth.”

Her face assumed a look of utter disbelief, “I can’t do that what of the…”

“Elizabeth, unless you want to live out your days in chains you can’t afford not to,” he leaned in, breathing aggressively across the table, “The American justice system can be terribly cruel, there are some rather harsh prisons.”

“You… You wouldn’t!”

“Why not? I’m not the father figure I’ve become.”

“You can’t prove anything! I’ll deny all of this!”

Lincoln smiled, “I’m sure that there is parking video to help prove whatever you’ve said.”

Elizabeth’s eyes loss in that moment all luster, surrendering to the dark reality that she realized she had confined herself to. She picked up a pen and began to write.

“I’ll be checking those, you know.”

She shot her eyes up at him, marked out some numbers and began again, Lincoln smiled.

“By the way,” he earned another glare, “What did you do with the body?”

-

“This is channel seven news at the morgue, where the body peeled off of the street last week has been identified as none other than missing Prime Minister Mandu, allegedly of the Zulu nation. After much DNA testing it was ascertained that this was indeed the Prime Minister, isn’t that right Doctor?”

Doctor Zeinblin, who was in fact not a doctor but rather a con man posing as a doctor while he worked his way to Detroit smiled and turned around from the body.

“Vell, joo zee,” his accent was outlandish and he hid a grin as he realized that the people were buying everything, even his poorly faked white moustache that didn’t even match the color of the rest of his hair, “Zee man in qvestion, he vas playing in traffic at zee thyme…”

“What?” the newswoman shook her head in disbelief.

“Vell, despite our research vee have yet to determine vat he vas playing, some theorize perhapz a game of pin zee tail on zee donkee vhile ozzers belive is to be some form of vall-ball… err wall ball.”

“This makes no sense, can you be certain that he was playing in the street, this wasn’t some mafia hit or something?”

“Vell, upon finding a bullet in his skull some zeeorized zat, but you zee, vee have every reason to believe that the bullet vas simply carelessly plazed and fell into zee wreckage.”

“What?”

“Jes, joo heard, properly, childerens, let ziss be a varning to yoo all, do not be playing in zee streets.”

“But this makes no…”

-

Temujin lay sprawledc across the bar, sipping on the finest vodka he could bear to waste, he was too drunk to taste any of it anyway, “Barkeep,” he lifted his hand in the signal that he had long ago established in the bar.

The bar in question was composed generally of ivory, with a finely set mahogany top that had never been intended to meet the alcohol it would hold, despite this there wa even now fermented fruit of potato seeping mightily across the bar.

Another bottle found it’s way across the bar.

“Hard day?”

Temujin had intended for no companion, yet it was only with a muffled shock that he appraised the man, easily six feet tall And yet slim in build, his dark hair drooping sloppily across his forehead, “Yeah, none of yer business. This is big boy stuff.”

Though obviously taken aback, the other man forced his hand out,. “Senator McDowle of the United States Senate, you are Temujin of the Mongols unless I am mistaken.”

“Yeah,” Temujin’s half shut eyes appraised the man, seeking for fear, finding none, but then again he was drunk.

“Is it Lincoln?”

Temujin bolted aright, dropping his new bottle of vodka and lifting his hand again at the bartender, “How do you…”

McDowle smiled knowingly, “What has a man to do but listen to know?”

“Listen to what?”

“Your drunken ramblings,” McDowle contorted his body into a semblance of Temujin, “He’s got all the power, things used to be different, he’s murdering us off, its all my fault.”

Temujin pulled himself off of the bar, nearly sitting by his own power, “When did I say that?”

“Not three minutes ago, everyone else left because of your ramblings, but you need to be freed, not shunned. I have a proposition for you.”

“What?”

“Would you like to get Lincoln out of the way?”

From across the bar James Smiley, professional bartender and part time revolutionary smiled.

Chapter 9: Remorse

Bullets sang a dissonant harmony as they embedded themselves irrevocably into the walls. Repairmen might cover over the wounds of plaster, but the scars would forever be there, a constant reminder of this blood soaked Tuesday.

Abraham Lincoln pulled a drawer out from his desk, lifting a small revolver from it. The cruel musicians behind his door played their rifles, carefully wounding all of the staff, Lincoln stood lifting the virgin pistol in front of him.

The door swung open and a gun was leveled to him.

-

Temujin sat across from McDowle, looking to his watch.

“It’s about the time.”

Duncan smiled, “Indeed.”

He lifted a small radio to the table, flipping the button with his thumb.

“There have been gunshots within the White House, we are confirmed the Secret Servicemen have entered the building and to all appearances they are having some sort of shoot out with an unnamed terror cell.

They exchanged a cold smile as the panicked voice proceeded from the radio, “We have, at this point no recourse but to believe that President Lincoln is dead, our view of his office, before the reporters were removed from the lawn, showed it to be blood soaked, there is no hope for him even if he did escape his office.”

Rifle fire continued to dominate the background, and the reporter let out a last gasp of air, the station dissipating to static.

Temukin picked up his glass and lifted it in a toast, “The king is dead.”

“Long live the King.”

-

The other man was slumped in the corner, dead. His blood was streaked down the wall of Lincoln’s office. Lincoln was crouched behind his desk, a bullet lodged in his arm, weeping. He would glance in a sort of horror at the body, weeping again and again.

There were only two people in the world who would have done it, he realized, only two who knew him to be so dark and cruel. He would have revenge, he picked up his laptop from where it had fallen on the floor, navigating himself to the British government’s website, winding his way to the head of states center, inputting into the computer a code that only one other person knew.

The he picked up is phone.

-

Mao’s golf ball swam through the sky, a drive that, for once, might not require the assistance of attendants to appear magnificent. Mao smiled, for life was good.

He looked back to the clubhouse, where women and liquor awaited his lusts and thirsts and he was content.

That was when the explosion rocked the city.

-

The MI-6 agent at her side paused for a moment, “Excuse me ‘mam.”

Elizabeth cursed under her breath, quite upset at the lack of respect that the agent provided. He had been with her for months now, never once had he indicated that it was he who was the escort and not vice versa.

He stepped off to the side, lifting his cell phone to his ear, he was silent, nodding.

“Yes, sir.”

And his pistol was pointed in a direction that MI-6 had never intended.

-

Abraham Lincoln stepped onto the front porch, leaning onto the famous marble supports. His suit was covered in blood. He looked out to the sea of reporters and panicked supporters.

Abraham Lincoln looked to the heavens, alive.

-

Temujin was having an exceptional day, as he walked to the United Nations building. The meeting that day was not mandatory, many of the representatives were sure to be absent, and yet Temujin was excited about the new possibilities that the building held.

Temujin opened the door and walked inside past the receptionist, greeting her with a smile.

He opened the immense doors to the meeting chamber.

“Hello, Temujin,” Chairman Lincoln, soaked in blood, smiled savagely from behind the podium, his arm hung in a sling.

-

James Smiley frowned, “Of all the dictators to die, none of them have been ours.”

“Elizabeth and Mao both dead today, both nations blame the other, Lincoln survived a shootout and was well enough yet to attend the evening session of the united Nations. He’s too damn resilient.”

“Yeah, Duncan, too damn resilient. We need something stronger, surer.”

“No point in it right now. That man’ll be harder to get to than anyone. There’s no point to it, he’s indefatigable.”

Smiley nodded, “Yes, we’ll have to lie low now, he’s too strong and he’s probably angry.”

“You think he suspects that it’s us?” Duncan achieved a look of panic.

“I don’t know, alright, I don’t f***ing know,” Smiley lit up a cigarette and cradled it gently on his lips.

“Who else would do it?”

-

Abraham Lincoln sat alone in his chair, long after the meeting was called to a close, Temujin had been alone and rather jumpy, considering the situation he was entirely justified.

Lincoln had been justified in that murder too.

Just a click, and he was dead.

Lincoln had been justified in the murder, if not in any other, he had been defending himself.

The man had come in with his Rifle, aimed it. In his panic Lincoln had fired, the man’s chest exploded onto the wall behind him in a sickening internal portrait. He had slumped back, looking in the final moment of his life at his wound, he had shot Lincoln as he was shot, but he knew that the president wouldn’t die and he submitted.

Lincoln had been defending himself, and so he assured himself so many times.

The moon thrust itself against the night in it’s bold arc, and Abraham Lincoln sat in it’s pale glow, far beneath it, pondering how he justified his life.

Chapter 10: Finale

The phone was ringing.

It was a dull, insistent ring that pulled Temujin to his side from his slumber and which dragged his arm to the handset.

“Hello.”

“When you kill a man… that never goes away,” the tone was melancholy, depressed.

“What?’ Temujin looked, dazed, into the handset.

“But that doesn’t bother me, I’ve killed lots of men.”

Temujin was silent, curious.

“What kills me is that noone respects me, never has. I thought you loved me, I thought I was revered. I was wrong. What’s wrong with me?”

“I… I don’t know… Lincoln is this you?”

The telephone hung silent for a moment, darkness came from every angle.

“Lincoln?”

“Don’t worry Temujin, this time it wasn’t you.”

The handset reverted to its dialtone.

-

“Chinese paratroopers have seized towns deep into the British Empire, Prime Minister Winston Churchill promises that we shall ‘fight on the plains, in the hills, and on the waves,’ that we will, ‘defend our land at any cost’ and that ‘defeat can be achieved only through surrender.’ British RAF have begun scrapping with the bombers over London, the scene is grim, but perseverance, with any fortune, shall prove our victory in the end.”

The reporter, poised before the rabble of buildings in what had once been York, but was now little more than a shelter for the few frightened souls who wandered the ruins waited until the camera was pointed away from her to weep. Britain lay about her.

“Never give up,” the cameraman wore a frightened smile, “Never surrender.”

The bombers overhead dropped ominous cargo.

-

Lincoln put in the code one last time, he had started the war, he would help the victims of his madness.

He cursed himself as he promised the death of millions more, to help balance out his own actions.

He was not God, he knew this, he had no right to play with these men’s lives.

He pushed the ‘Enter’ button.

-

China lay wasted by the nuclear fire, crops and troops were burnt. Supply lines weren’t provided to the troops inside Britain because, to be honest, there were no supplies.

The dead were a countless legion, the dying alone could match their number.

A shattered bell tolled in the remains of Beijing.

-

“Sic… semper… tyrranis,” the cool gun was pressed against his temple.

Just one more death, he promised himself, then hell would be a luxury.

-

Eight Months Later

“I, Duncan McDowle, do solemnly swear,” the bible was cool and smooth beneath his hand.

“That I will faithfully execute the office,” Smiley stood behind him, grinning uncontrollably, elections for President without revolution, who would have imagined.

“Of President of the United States, and will, to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution,” A real constitution, not the flimsy paper that had never bound Lincoln.

“Of the United States.”

The crowd did not bother to restrain itself, no moderation was evident in the wildly screaming men in business suits and ties of the House and Senate.

Duncan McDowle, President of the United States of America; the most powerful nation left on the Earth, smiled to the crowd.

He stepped fully onto the podium, smiling wildly and saluting.

”My fellow Americans,” the crowd began to cool itself, cameras swiveled quickly to bear fully on the podium, “It has been a long year.

“There was once a popular phrase, a promise, if you will that even the Tyrant Lincoln was fond of quoting, ‘America shall Rise again.’ I can promise you my friends that it has, at long last, done so.

“It is odd to salute such a poorly colored past as ours, but I must tip my hat to you Lincoln, for in your ashes we found our root. Lincoln, it was recently discovered, caused the war between China and Britain that soon came to entangle Russia, the Iroquois, and the myriad other nations of the Earth, but America, too occupied with putting itself in order in the wake of Lincoln’s suicide, would not be burdened by such petty grievances.

“So Lincoln brought us, alone, unscathed through the fire and so I salute this man, whom I hated as did any of you who ever met a policeman at three in the morning.”

A respectful applause followed, but only because Duncan deserved it, not for the man whom he praised.

“But I come to bury Lincoln, not to praise him. Britannia and her allies may call themselves victors of the war, but they depend on America for all production. Once proud Britain has been reduced to despotism in a renamed wasteland. China’s once mighty populous lies dead, strewn about a million fields. Russia is not a nation to speak of, rather a number of warlords and generals who claim some small allegiance to the ever weakening Tsarina as she dies the slow death of radiation poisoning. The Iroquois have been wiped from the Earth. America alone stands tall.

“So I make this offer to our brothers across the world, give us your poor, give us your hungry, give us your huddled masses. We shall tend the flock of humanity while you learn again to walk.”

President McDowle smiled and stepped back off the stage, leaving the cameras to focus once more on the cheering crowd.

An excellent satire, truly one of the best stories on the board. Welcome back! I can't wait for the next one.

scratch, I thought that I'd come back here and give 'em a tast of what I've done since I left, I got one reply on 'Ripper' and thanks to you, two here. I feel rather unwanted here.

I also put up another chapter to 'Erwachte' on 'poly, but recieved no replies to that either. I contemplated putting that story over here, but it profited me nothing since I was getting no feedback at poly and less here. CFC has never been good for feedback.

Ahh well.

If you want feedback you gotta do the same kind of story as the rest here which needs a lot of pictures with colorful overlays and a very detailed turn by turn description starting from the very beginning of a game. For me that's very boring cause I can see all that just by playing the game so I prefer something with a lot more flavor to it like this story for example. I guess its a case of when in Iraq do as the Iraqis do. Look on the bright side Skipie, since this is the internet at least they can't throw tomatoes and watermelons at you. You can write all the stories you want and never have fruit splattered on you.

Don't let the lack of feedback get you down. I myself read problably 5 stories for every one I comment on, and there's alot others like me. scratched is right though, the stories that get alot of feedback is SG logs with pictures. Boooring, if I want a SG I'll play in one.

Keep writing though, alot more people are reading them then you think.

Keep writing, and don't feel too bad about not getting much feedback. I often post essays and stories on many forums and I don't alwas receive the feedback I would like. Most people are either too lazy to read, or just don't know how to reply to what you have written.

Top Bottom