Upcoming patch info!

AI
* Military – Defensive tactical AI update. When you are at war and threatening an enemy city, the AI will better utilize the garrison, as well as the surrounding terrain in defense of the target city. (new 10/20)

Good.

To leave a game broken and unpatched, specially a game with a massive fan base as Civ series, is to declare suicide. PC game players aren't the dumbest people in the world, you see? We remember, and we remember well.
Really? Here's a post from Apolyton that indicates people are not remembering that well.

Balance - Disbanding units now provides only 10% of their production cost in gold. (new 10/20)

Though that one makes me sad, I welcome the new changes. Keep them coming.

pardon me but in all this discussion has there been an actual patch release date established?

pardon me but in all this discussion has there been an actual patch release date established?

The ETA is as early as this week, but that's just an estimate, and there is no confirmed date. Check out the post at the 2k forums to see his explaination(gregs).

If the AI turtles better then it should at least slow down the various rushing strategies.

If it's good enough to station archers/catapults in its garrisons from now on then it'll be a lot harder to conquer!

If the AI turtles better then it should at least slow down the various rushing strategies.

If it's good enough to station archers/catapults in its garrisons from now on then it'll be a lot harder to conquer!

Speaking of military units, are there any plans to itemize the unit maintenance costs with the upcoming patch? If not, I'd like to see the information added at a later date. Determining the cost of unit maintenance shouldn't involve guesswork or estimation.

* If there are less than 5 buildings still needed to construct a National Wonder, the production popup tool-tip now lists which cities lack them. (new 10/20)

Very cool

* Tweak information on the Global Politics tab in the Diplomacy Overview screen. (new 10/20)

Very vague, could be good.

* Balance - Disbanding units now provides only 10% of their production cost in gold. (new 10/20)
* Request – Enable “one more turn” button if you lose, but are still alive. (new 10/20)

Definitely good changes. I like disbanding units for cash, especially if I'm cash starved, but it can't be better than wealth. I think this is fine. I liked how it's gold in this game as opposed to shields in Civ3 (or nothing (?) in Civ4).
AI
* Military – Defensive tactical AI update. When you are at war and threatening an enemy city, the AI will better utilize the garrison, as well as the surrounding terrain in defense of the target city. (new 10/20) [/quote]

I'm glad to see they're adding more positive changes/fixes to the list. :)

Now they just need to release it. :rolleyes:

Speaking of military units, are there any plans to itemize the unit maintenance costs with the upcoming patch? If not, I'd like to see the information added at a later date. Determining the cost of unit maintenance shouldn't involve guesswork or estimation.

I'm not sure what there is to itemize, really. everything costs the same from worker to GDR. sure, costs skyrocket when you increase units, but it doesn't matter what kind of units they are.

Really? Here's a post from Apolyton that indicates people are not remembering that well.

Did you read the part of my post you've just quoted? I said that we remember companies that launches broken buggy games and leave them that way without patches.

Civ IV was patched from the beggining and continued to be patched and improved as time passed by. Same thing is apparentely happening to Civ V.

If you want to quote someone to make a point, at least READ what you're quoting.

The link you gave me just showed how correct I am.

Unit costs aren't per unit... every unit costs the same.. it is a byzantine complex formula based on total # of units and game turn.

Hopefully someday they wll make it better, like building maintenance.

I'm not as familiar with the minutiae of the game as others are. I was simply trying to express a desire to have upkeep costs clearly visible, and available to, the player; however, I realize now that it may not be a simple addition to the game.

I'm not as familiar with the minutiae of the game as others are. I was simply trying to express a desire to have upkeep costs clearly visible, and available to, the player; however, I realize now that it may not be a simple addition to the game.

There is a basic breakdown in the economic window that shows unit maintenance vs building vs road, and income from trade routes vs tiles. With the weirdness of the upkeep formula, that's the best you've got now. For some reason (bug hopefully) cost changes only affect every second unit. Just delete your least valuable units (extra captured workers often) until you feel better about your upkeep. That's really all we have until there's a BUG mod equivalent for civ 5.

Wow, that whole post on Apolyton made me feel slightly slimy. :huh:

In a bad way.

I think it is a matter of expressing yourself better.

From what I've learned of your post, it looks like you want to understand HOW the unit upkeep costs are calculated, correct? The formula right now is rather obscure and people reports the weirdest behaviors about it. Like you build a unit, your upkeep increases 1, you build another, upkeep +5, you build another, upkeep +2 etc etc.

I also want to be able to estimate how much I'll pay for a new unit. And no, display this information isn't hard to do.

^

* Economy - Fixed bug where players could disband a single unit, and not see the economic return until disbanding 1 more.

This fix may help the community better figure out the formula. appears to be a bug at the moment.

Top Bottom