1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming patch info!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Vlade Divac, Oct 12, 2010.

1. SnuggilyD

SnuggilyD Chieftain

Does anyone know whether the fix for 'never ending deals' will correct games that already have the bug, or will it only prevent it from happening in future games?

2. jacyp

jacyp Winter Lover

I didn't say Civ 5's launch was a disaster. I was just explaining to the guy cos he've read about Civ 3's disaster, and asked why people are saying that. I just told him that the Civ 3 disaster people were talking about wasn't the game itself, but the release of it.

Many people can argue if Civ 5's launch is also a disaster. It's not enough that the game doesn't crash at launch, it has to be what the developer told us it would be. So far, Civ 5 don't live up to its promises and many parts of the game that were the series strengh points are broken.

So if someone also says Civ 5 was prematurely released and that this is a disaster, you may disagree, but eventually you will have to accept that they are entitled to say that.

3. Jarvi

Jarvi Chieftain

The news of the civ5 patch and upcoming free DLC is pretty good news to anyone who likes civ5. Means that they're actually pulling through with all their content ;)

4. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Chieftain

Agree, agree,agree. Civ V has all the makings of a splendid game. Never mind the decision makers who insisted on a premature release. There are many things the developers clearly meant to include in the game, quite apart from fixing the obvious bugs. Doing something about the lost overspill from research and building, for example.

Personally, I'd also like to see a return of the growing up of new forests from Civ IV; other benefits apart, I loved the roar of a forest shooting up from the ground. Then there's the dicky diplomacy and missing true difference in Civ leaders' mentality, and the fact that your past behaviour doesn't really matter to them. An additional note: they need to fix the graphics. I have a very up to date computer, and yet I have started to get problems with primitive graphics when I reload a game. The primitive graphics adjust themselves, tile by tile, as I watch, but it is annoying all the same.

I've found that warts and all, I still enjoy Civ V more than Civ IV. And I loved Civ IV. I emphatically believe that there were several things from Civ IV they wanted to include but weren't given the time to.

[Suit jumping up and down:] "Fornicate QA! We want it on the shelves in two weeks, and that's THAT!"

5. Silvis

Silvis Chieftain

I agree with you that they need to take a 2nd look at the elements that made the world come to life in CivIV. Civilization 5 has so much potential to be a great game and has its problems, but is nothing like the release of Fallout. I got it on release and had the same issues. Civ 5 isn't a disaster but yet a work in progress of the best installment of the series.

6. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

I let my bias against Civ3 showed. I thought it was a "disaster" in that the gameplay was horrible. It was playable upon release, as all Civ games have been, but I simply hated the way Civ3 played and how you had to play it. Civ5, in its current state, is more playable than Civ3 was - imo.

7. Marshall Thomas

Marshall Thomas Chieftain

Is there really an expansion coming out in January, then another in March?

When was this anouncement made? Thanks in advance

8. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

If it follows previous timelines, they will be an expansion next year for release in the fall yes. Then another one a year after.

Not sure how steam and DLCs will alter those timelines.

9. JBConquests

JBConquests Prince

I agree they are certainly entitled to say that, and if they do that indicates to me that they haven't had the priviledge of spending night after night trying to determine the right mix of driver/bios/configuration/etc... in a desperate effort to get a game (I'm talking about you Fallout) to launch. ;)

I certainly prefer that software release relatively bug free and will be appropriately critical if it doesn't but this kind of exagerated, over the top terminology doesn't do justice to the game.

10. jacyp

jacyp Winter Lover

I agree. I think Civ 5 most frustrating issues right now are a matter of balance and improvement of AI, and not "bugs" in its strict meaning.

If you play the game without exploiting its known balancing issues (ie. limit yourself instead of waiting for a patch to do that), you can have a satisfactory session of play, as long as you don't play any map that has different continents separated by oceans. The lack of AI clever naval management in this particular case cuts the late game fun.

11. six blade knife

six blade knife Chieftain

hey people =)

you get the fail gold, that's for sure. and you got a message that pops at the beginning of turn which tells you how much gold you receive. but in fact this message is shown for only few seconds but I'm pretty sure you can read it again in the log diary.

12. Mack247

Mack247 Chieftain

My machines graphics card is not up to much but since playing in DirectX 9 the game has been running super smooth, but without the graphics looking as good.

An issue I have had that I didn't see mentioned here was that sometimes when I build a Factory and it asks me what I want to build next, the Factory is still an option? I'm not sure whether this results in 2 x 25% increases in production or whether the inital Factory build had no effect. Building it a second time did not result in the same issue again.

Anybody else experience that? Cheers.

13. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

I''l repeat what I said before, but with more clarification:

((I don't know if firaxis listens and where this should be posted, this thread seems reasonable enough for me to post this. But if there is more appropriate thread for this, then maybe someone will redirect this.))

The issue with the game music.
    The music is amazing, but it's hard to enjoy it in the current state. The problem is: Music tracks should NOT be changed upon diplomatic interactions. There should be leaders music when in diplo screen YES, but the track should RESUME upon exiting diplo screen instead of changing to the next one (like it did in civ4 I believe). As of now it's pretty much impossible to listen a track to the end except in early game or if you're isolated. This clearly SHOULD be changed and I believe most of us would agree.

14. MadmanAtW

MadmanAtW Knight

On the subject of disbanding scouts vs building wealth- while conceptually it's kind of stupid that disbanding the scout if more efficient, as a mechanic it actually creates an interesting choice, and games need interesting choices. Do I build wealth and get an immediate return of 25% on my hammers, or do I build a scout and _only get the return if I complete the build_? When building wealth, you can stop any time, interrupt it to build a unit due to war or a new building because you finished a tech. With the scout version, you need to invest more into it, and the result is you get more cash. I think 25% vs 40% is too wide a variance (it shouldn't be nearly twice as effective), but 25% to 33% or 33 to 40 would be reasonable, IMO.

15. milk steak

milk steak Chieftain

^ While that's a fair point, you never lose progress on what you're building, so you could always resume building that scout at a later point. Not to mention that they're the cheapest things to build, so the 2-3 turns it takes to pump one out is of marginal opportunity cost.

It's still mind-boggling that wealth (after the patch) will generate .25 gold / hammer, but scouts still provide .4 g/h and triremes .5 g/h. They need to fix the scout/trireme delete values too I think.

16. Vlade Divac

Vlade Divac Chieftain

Yeah, no doubt. All indications are, though, that this will be in the later patch (later this year that is). I really do hope they get AI Naval going. If they do it right, it could be a blast.

17. ShuShu62

ShuShu62 Chieftain

I concur... Of course, Over the years I realized my issue with 3 was more about the jarring change from II to III than the game itself

Stangely, then it was the transition from 4x games I could regularly defeat on Deity to one that I could not. Now I feel the opposite reaction is occurring. A transition from a game that 'most' of us are not used to beating on Deity, to one that is easy to beat.

ICS was fun in cIIv, we may all rediscover the fun in ciV. It is funny, I am reading the RB3 thread. It does appear they are going to win fairly easily, but there has been lots of decision making, and, more importantly, differences of opinion. :)

18. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Well it appears they don't think that Hammers->Gold should be a strategy point... Units will now give 10% of their Hammer cost.

19. Vlade Divac

Vlade Divac Chieftain

UPDATE:

A few more changes added to the upcoming patch and 2K Greg says no changes on the ETA (he hinted at this week prior). I'm definitely encouraged they are already updating tactical AI:

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1220127&postcount=1

20. CTH

CTH Chieftain

Seems to be good changes, you wont be able to make an unit and then disband it for gold instead of building wealth (well you could but you would be stupid :))
    I hope that they will work more on the AI defense, it is sometimes so bad...