Upcoming Version Changelog

large and huge are maps that play differently for people who like different games

This is how I feel. I'm playing with 13 civs on Huge at the moment and it's not an accident or an oversight - it's intentional. I hate being forward settled and having to constantly war with other civs. I find that on recent betas it happens often enough already. I also have much more fun playing wide than tall.

I'm happy for other people to play whatever settings they want. As others have noted, increasing the number of civs already has other side-effects, like making religions harder to found and wonders harder to build. It's up to each player where they feel the balance between these lies. On the other hand, civs that benefit from city-states are probably going to like having so many city-states in total (and it makes the associated buildings stronger), and there's no doubt that Brazil's UU gives more total yields on larger maps. Not to mention that having more trade partners affects the importance of diplomacy, and having more land to conquer affects domination games.

Balance is imporant, but sometimes different map sizes just play differently. We can adjust for one aspect, but we need to be careful with how it affects the other aspects as well.

With regards to tech... I'm not sure that we are correctly understanding the proposed changes. Would be great to have Gazebo clarify the intended effect. Otherwise it feels we may just be arguing in circles.

i changed to epic speed because i thought tech was too fast too. might be even too fast on epic too

I agree with most comments about increasing tech speed. If anything, I would be inclined to slow it down. As I have moved up in diffulty levels, it seems to me that the game goes too fast. The AI bonuses mean they race through eras.

Let the ol' man do his thing without pressure I'm totally not saying this because i don't want to abandon my current game before i finish it at all.
Of course, but if I understand correctly the changes have already been made and its only a matter of tweaking a number here and there. Maybe I'm wrong and I know this is things being done for free, so I'm not trying to be disrespectful (and don't believe I am by asking) :)

\Skodkim

I understand correctly the changes have already been made and its only a matter of tweaking a number here and there

Eh? I don't think that's what the changelog means. If it was ready, I think it would probably be available! Sure we'll see it soon though :).

Eh? I don't think that's what the changelog means. If it was ready, I think it would probably be available! Sure we'll see it soon though :).
Maybe my mistake then. I thought the changelog reflected changes that was made and tested by G's in an internal build before release.

Anyway, as much as I long to play again I know people put in a lot of free time and I don't mean to be disrespectful.

\Skodkim

My domination games used be (awhile back) decided by cannons and end around or slightly after getting field guns.
Now gatling guns, cruisers and iron clads are deciders and the game usually ends in early modern era.
This is mainly because AI are so much tougher (ie the bug fix for AI on epic speed).

i wanted to start a new game tonight ... now i have to wait for celts cause that tall pantheon with +culture on population looks interesting to combo with cooperation :D

Maybe my mistake then. I thought the changelog reflected changes that was made and tested by G's in an internal build before release.

Anyway, as much as I long to play again I know people put in a lot of free time and I don't mean to be disrespectful.

\Skodkim
I am pretty sure that Gazebo has already tested them, but they are subject to late minute changes, since he is so politely asking.

With regards to tech... I'm not sure that we are correctly understanding the proposed changes. Would be great to have Gazebo clarify the intended effect. Otherwise it feels we may just be arguing in circles.
Code:
UPDATE Worlds
SET ResearchPercent = '100';
There is nothing to clarify here, the intended effect is very clear. And honestly I can not see any case when this does not make science go faster. Reducing the tech cost can only make techs go faster unless it comes with other changes that affect it (it comes with another change that reduces tech cost in Standard and smaller maps and a moderately spammable :c5science: improvement in Forts).

I'd say 120%, and increases for techs as the game goes on. (To address concerns that later techs go too fast.)

Then if that works well, scale all tech costs by 120% so we can set that value to 100% for modmod use.

I have been thinking about the empire size penalty, and I think there's a flaw there. No matter how easy we set the values, there's an inherent unhappiness wall upon reaching a certain number of cities, due to the exponential increase of its effect.
To lower the exponential increase I think we could try using the square root of the number of cities, or even a logarithm, for calculating the empire size penalty. This way the effect of 'too many cities' will not happen so suddenly.

Top Bottom