1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Version Changelog

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Voremonger

Voremonger Warlord

In any case, I think the current Tourism system has two important properties that are not obvious:
    1. It mostly reduces the effective Tourism of somewhat large empires, but not of very large empires. Somewhat large empires with ~10-15 Cities are hit sharply by the Tourism modifier. However, the minimum Tourism modifier you can get for your Cities is 25%. Because of this there is a point where each new City is beneficial for your empire-wide Tourism. For the proposed reduction of 5% per City this is 16 Cities. After this point your Tourism modifier stays constant. I have attached a plot for the effective Tourism output of an empire if every City were to produce 1 Tourism per turn. Note the linear increase for very large empires. Also note that a constant amount of Tourism per City is not realistic until very late in the game.
    2. The Tourism modifier from the number of Cities stacks additively with the modifiers from Technologies. The late game is the most important phase for a Culture victory since this is when the output of Culture/Tourism is the highest. However, this is also the phase in which the Tourism modifier from the number of Cities matters the least because it is mitigated by Technologies. I don't remember the exact numbers but after I researched The Internet I had like +35% Tourism in all of my ~30 Cities. Printing Press gives you +15% Tourism I think so that alone boosts the empire-wide Tourism output of very large empires by 60%.

Attached Files:

2. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

Beta changes are always included unless contradicted by the new version's changelog.

Histomen likes this.
  3. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Fall from Heaven 2 still rocks

I usually play large maps with 14 civ/22 cs (shuffle). I used to play epic but have come back to playing standard speed. However, allowing tech trading makes even more of a case for this to be too fast of a tech speed. So, when playing epic I used to use no tech brokering and now I just use no trading at all (going back to RA's).

This has slowed down the tech enough where each era matters, but it still feels a bit too fast.

I guess what I'm saying is that faster tech seems unneeded, and that if we are adjusting tech maybe selecting "tech trading on" should make the tech speed slower. There should be some balance there.

If selecting tech trading on made tech research slower, I'd do it. Instead, it just makes everything too fast (of course in my very loose opinion that could be easily persuaded otherwise).

Novntis and Deljade like this.
  4. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

I'm still of the opinion that before we mount a case about whether a proposed change is good/bad we should clarify whether we are on the same page as the dev who proposed them.
    Gazebo isn't on the forums all the time because he's busy, not because he it isn't his 'style'. It seems kind of silly to rally people to give their views on something that may end up being a misunderstanding.

Novntis, CyberPhy, LarryAR and 6 others like this.
  5. Novntis

Novntis Chieftain

Eagerly looking forward to this update! Had to scrap a game with the religious pressure bug so I'm glad to see its fixed. Thanks G and I hope your wrist makes a quick recovery.

Like others who have articulated their concerns about the tech cost reduction on standard+, I agree that if we reduce the cost scaler, we should probably bump base tech costs per column by the same amount. Making tech any faster especially on higher difficulties is probably a bit too overwhelming for my liking.

Otherwise I 100% agree with the rest of the changes.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    JamesNinelives likes this.
  6. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

What's the tech cost formula right now? We need to increase later tech costs further.

7. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Can't help thinking about this song when check the thread 10 times per day... :)

\Skodkim

vyyt, LifeOfBrian, arievillo and 2 others like this.
  8. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Just recorded this down at the Vox Populi Supporters fan club.

briantjack, vyyt, LifeOfBrian and 2 others like this.
  9. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

*Single teardrop*

LifeOfBrian likes this.
  10. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Really? Don't you love this time of being allowed to do something else that it's not playing a videogame? :D

vyyt, CivYam and LifeOfBrian like this.
  11. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

I saw my psych today and got Japanese food. Tomorrow I'm going to a quiz night with friends! Thursday I'm cooking burritos for my family (mum and dad). Saturday and Sunday I'm playing/running Dungeons and Dragons!

I still miss Vox Populi though ^^.

briantjack, arievillo and vyyt like this.
  12. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian King

I needz muh preshus!

13. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Partly on sick leave after illness so I've had some time off for the last weeks. Afternoons have been dedicated to HBO series (True Detective is brilliant!) but must admit that my gaming finger is itching badly

Oh well, at least I've rediscovered the joy of bashing opponent teams in Football Manager and I'm also considering buying Crusader Kings 3 - fear the Vikings

\Skodkim

14. usadefcon1

usadefcon1 Warlord

CK3 is really good

JamesNinelives and skodkim like this.
  15. arievillo

arievillo Chieftain

FM and Stellaris :thumbsup:

16. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Been there (Stellaris) before returning to VP. It's good but I needed something else after a while :)

\Skodkim

17. Voremonger

Voremonger Warlord

I played Starsector with the Nexerelin mod that turns it into a strategy game and it made me realize that even the mechanics that people complain about in VP are relatively well thought out by comparison.
    You'd think that disrupting enemy industry would reduce the attacks coming your way, but the exact opposite is the case in Nexerelin: if you destroy enemy fleets or attack enemy planets the enemy spawns "Vengeance Fleets" that somehow know the exact position of your fleet and try to hunt you down.
    It doesn't really make the game any more difficult nor does it prevent snowballing, it just discourages you from aggression by making any offensive action ten times more tedious.
    The best part: if you defend your own planets against invasions you will spawn Vengeance Fleets too.

Also after playing VP the AI of most strategy games seem really bad.

vyyt, Novntis and LifeOfBrian like this.