Urban Combat Railroad.pcx

GhengisFarb

www.GhengisFarb.com
Do not use this if you want the gameplay to be simple. This was created by accident as I wanted to represent urban sprawl with skycrapers at the hub of my cities and housing developments near the outside.

It does work great to represent modern urban combat. The actual cities blend in and are hard to locate. Units blend in and are hard to locate. When you destroy a city the sprawl stays just like in real life the shells of the skyscrapers would still be there.

You can see some preview pics here.

Attachments

• railroads.zip
    313.8 KB · Views: 2,207
Wow, it's been downloade 57 times....

No good comments, but no bad ones either. At least it isn't crashing anybody's computer...:D

This is an excellent work, I personaly appreciated it very much and use it in conjonction with the "roads with enhanced buildings" I altered... good job ! :goodjob:

The problem with this is that you can see, the terraign. Although it represents urban sprawl, it shouldnt be really that thick. I like it though and it is the best so far.

I am working on a new mod currently, and for now Im using this. It is a modern mod. More advanced, modern mod. You dont start in the ancient era. You start in a industrial, to pre-modern, to Modern, to Post-Modern.

And I was wondering if you could do that same graphic, but with a highway type thing running over it. This would represent railroads, but called highways, and roads would be railroads, wich some guy has made already and it has a slight urban sprawl.

That looks awesome. Too bad you can no longer see the terrain underneath. I just got one of those moments:

"Your only source of iron has dissappeared", followed by "A new source of iron has been found". If that ever occurs, i go try to find that new source of iron. With this pack, I wont even try to look.

GIDustin

Maybe you should do what I do: use the editor to make those resources immobile. Like imagine middle east oil disappearing and reappearing in France - too unrealistic.

By the way, I am correct in assuming the terrain still functions the same when its covered in the sprawl?

Originally posted by GIDustin
That looks awesome. Too bad you can no longer see the terrain underneath. I just got one of those moments:

"Your only source of iron has dissappeared", followed by "A new source of iron has been found". If that ever occurs, i go try to find that new source of iron. With this pack, I wont even try to look.

GIDustin

Crtl-Shift-M will solve your problem. It will remove all of the urban sprawl and let you see the raw terrain.

I forgot about that. Thanks

GIDustin

This is an awesome mod for anyone who automates workers. It is a real nightmare for anyone who micromanages his worker assignments. Control shift M shows where the resources are, but doesn't show what is irrigated/mined, etc.

genghis can u fix me a graphics scenario?

This is nice. Instead of boring little round cities spotted over the map at regular intervals we have realism. :goodjob: I like this mod so much I decided to attach a screen shot to supplement the one given by genghisfarb. This is a wonderful shot of India, fogged unfortunately, but perhaps more beautiful than the real thing. I love the way it correctly has the skyscrapers close in around New Dehli and the little country houses further out. :D

Attachments

• urban sprawl.jpg
    urban sprawl.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 6,711
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
No good comments, but no bad ones either.

As I previously wrote, GhengisFarb, this is excellent and impressive :) ! Nice job ! Inspired by what you made, I very recently realized the complement to you Railroads, I say the "roads.pcx", in the same way, but with some various buildings (the only remark I may find : the majority of your little houses are on the same shape and model).

Posted into /Graphics Modpacks directory, free for use.

Now, how does it work, exactly? Does it place skyscrapers wherever there are railroads and houses where you have roads? Or does it really look how big the cities are and places the skyscrapers around? I mean, you probably just edited the railroad and road graphics, right?

Right, we (I did) edited the PCX files to enhance the roads and railroads display. This does not affect the game itself or any calculation feature but does improve the terrain designs. :)

To be true there is no "skyscrapers wherever there are railroads and houses where you have roads" at all !:eek:
Depending of the road/railroad style and tile connections around, the design is altered by addition of buildings.
If you edit these PCX files, you'll notice the precise and detailed job done. Enjoy !

Wow, thanks, everybody and thanks to unscratchedfoot for the screenshot! The only graphics affected are the railroads, the more dense the railroads, the larger the buildings. The houses are on the tiles with lesser railroad connections.

I chose that house style because its less era-specific. You can start building railroads at the beginning of the Industrial Age, and I wanted something they wouldn't look too modern.

I've found that if you get into a war around dense cities, you can save the game switch out the modified railroads.pcx with the original and play that way until the war's over. When you load the saved game it uses the new railroads.pcx.

And, no, it has doesn't affect the terrain underneath, if the tile is mined or irrigated it is still mined or irrigated you simply can't see much of it because the sprawl graphic covers it up.

Top Bottom