US to host 2011 press freedom day: my irony meter just exlpoded

That has no bearing on whether the press can print what they want without the Government stopping them. If they get the info, they can print it.

The point was that reporters get jailed for not revealing their sources. This has resulted in a lower ranking.

The U.S. is a respectable 20th in the 2010 freedom of the press index ;)

The US must be #1 in this even more than other issues.

That has no bearing on whether the press can print what they want without the Government stopping them. If they get the info, they can print it.

Reporters are sent to prison for refusing to release their sources. That's treason by the government.

The United States is pleased to announce that it will host UNESCO’s World Press Freedom Day event in 2011, from May 1 - May 3

If the UN attempts to redefine the day to be three days long, then that will lower the frequency of daily newspapers, thereby hurting press freedom. As usual, they haven't thought this through at all.

A reporter is running an exclusive series of stories about serial killings. He's getting exclusive interviews with an active serial killer and even goes on one of the killings with the serial killer so as to accurately report just what goes on.

He refuses to help the police locate this guy. He's "protecting his source", so I guess it's okay.

Extreme example, but just goes to show that it is not always okay to protect your source. Now if you accept that (that it is not always okay to protect a source), you're redeemable. Now we just need to agree where the line is drawn.

The whole anonymous source thing is entirely dependent on responsible journalists.

If I wanted to, I could go into a career in journalism and print off stories about well, anything really, make up an unnamed source, and print it...

A reporter is running an exclusive series of stories about serial killings. He's getting exclusive interviews with an active serial killer and even goes on one of the killings with the serial killer so as to accurately report just what goes on.

He refuses to help the police locate this guy. He's "protecting his source", so I guess it's okay.

Extreme example, but just goes to show that it is not always okay to protect your source. Now if you accept that (that it is not always okay to protect a source), you're redeemable. Now we just need to agree where the line is drawn.
Extreme indeed. But it has absolutely nothing to do with that; it's about bringing things to light which should be a matter of public record.

* Arab satraps pushing for an unprovoked attack on Iran
* American murderers in Yemen passing it off as an act of the local government
* Two successive Secretaries of State looking for biometric and other data about foreign diplomats
* The extent of the Mafia influence on the governments of Israel and Russia.

This is not about hiding serial killers; it's about exposing them.

I fail to see the irony.

Backwards?

:confused: Backwards :confused:

From reuters

UNITED NATIONS | Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:15pm EDT

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United States owes $1.2 billion to the United Nations, more than a quarter of the payments owed the world body by all member states, a senior U.N. official said on Thursday.

Regarding the OP, it could be worse. The US could be hosting a conference onthe civil rights of prison inmates and those accused of being terrorists by disreputable people.

I sure hope "the most dangerous man in America" speaks at this conference, since Assange will likely not be able to attend.

The US pays the maximum it is allowed (22% of the total UN budget) per UN laws.

What UN law this was just an agreement for part of the budget.

There was an agreement for 25% for another part of the UN budget but this has been increased for the next few years.

WikiLeaks is not the Press. They're enemies of the state.

And states that operate in security and squelch all unpopular information about their activities are enemies of humanity.

What UN law this was just an agreement for part of the budget.

There was an agreement for 25% for another part of the UN budget but this has been increased for the next few years.

For the regular UN 2 year core budgets, a ceiling for individual countries was set at 22% in the year 2000. Before that it was 25%.

The US is the only nation to ever hit that ceiling.

WikiLeaks is not the Press. They're enemies of the state.

Back when the bill of rights was ratified, the press meant anyone with a printing press, not someone with a special badge. These days everyone has a printing press (the Internet). Besides, how is what WikiLeaks is doing any different than the NY Times publishing the Pentagon Papers?

Regarding the OP, it could be worse. The US could be hosting a conference onthe civil rights of prison inmates and those accused of being terrorists by disreputable people.

I sure hope "the most dangerous man in America" speaks at this conference, since Assange will likely not be able to attend.

Now that would be ironic. The American prison system is a national travesty, so are many of the laws that fill them up.

Back when the bill of rights was ratified, the press meant anyone with a printing press, not someone with a special badge. These days everyone has a printing press (the Internet). Besides, how is what WikiLeaks is doing any different than the NY Times publishing the Pentagon Papers?

I also fail to see why wikileaks cannot be called the press? Did they not get the special license the US government hands out to those who are allowed to claim this freedom?

A country that currently seek to limit freedom of the press when it is inconvenient for it, and that has prominent politicians calling for a foreign national to be killed for spreading information, is going to host a conference on press freedom.
So that's most of the western world then?

No it isn't.

If you renew and specify your claim i will address it.
Gladly.

Top Bottom