[GS] UU speculation

Lupine

Chieftain
Everyone seems to think that only Hungary is able to have 2 UUs since they are adding 9 new UUs. However, if Eleanor is a real thing, she probably won’t have a UU of her own. Chandragupta and Gorgo both have the same UU as their counterparts.

Just something to think about.

If there are 9 new leaders and 9 new UUs, then we've got 8 unrevealed leaders and only 7 UUs left. That means Eleanor doesn't get one and the other 7 leaders get one each. There's no room for another 2 UU leader.

So what if every civ doesn't get two units. Its probably better if a civ has 1 awesome unit and a UI anyway, like France and Persia for example.

Someone mentioned that maybe a Civ, Canada specifically, might not get a UU at all and instead have two UI, giving room for Eleanor to get a UU, but I think this is unlikely. I'm not sure what she would get for a UU or UI.
We do know that there will be 9 new Unique Infrastructure though: 2 districts, 4 buildings, 3 improvements.

I've been wondering about that. My current guess is that this unique governor will not count as either a unique unit or unique infrastructure, but be part of either the civ ability or the leader ability.

You could argue that it could take either the UU or UI spot for a civ, since in some ways it's a unit, in some ways it's infrastructure. But yes, the most likely case is that it's part of a civ or leader's unique ability.

What about the unique governor?
You could argue that it could take either the UU or UI spot for a civ, since in some ways it's a unit, in some ways it's infrastructure. But yes, the most likely case is that it's part of a civ or leader's unique ability.
The unique governor is listed separately from the unique units and infrastructure, so it shouldn't replace one of them.

I've been wondering about that. My current guess is that this unique governor will not count as either a unique unit or unique infrastructure, but be part of either the civ ability or the leader ability.
The closest thing I can think of in the past was that Venice didn’t have a unique unit per se, instead having a unique great merchant. That did count as the civ’s unit, but you couldn’t exactly create them on demand.

Correction: they did have the great galley, but the merchant did count toward their two uniques.

The closest thing I can think of in the past was that Venice didn’t have a unique unit per se, instead having a unique great merchant. That did count as the civ’s unit, but you couldn’t exactly create them on demand.

Venice had the unique great merchant and a unique naval ranged unit. They weren't the only one with a unique great person. Mongolia had a unique great general.

I mentioned in another thread about the possibility of a city-state having a UU that you could build if you are the suzerain. We already know that being the suzerain of Rapa Nui will let you build Moai, so I wonder if that's one of the new unique improvements listed now that I think about it or would it be considered global and would it apply to a city-state unit as well?

Venice had the unique great merchant and a unique naval ranged unit. They weren't the only one with a unique great person. Mongolia had a unique great general.
I forgot about the Khan! Sorry, also forgot about the ship, since the merchant was much more unique in usage. In any event, it’s a precedent for a non-standard thing counting toward a unique slot.

I like the idea of a city state UU, but it would have a limited age of usefulness. It could be rather potent and something you wanted to rush to.

Thinking on that, could it be a unit that changed stats depending on the era? That way you would still have a CS ability that is useful throughout the game.

Last edited:
In Civ V, they just gave you random generic units if it wasn't the correct era for their uniques.
That was a really nice perk in my opinion. I’m not a hardcore warmonger, so I don’t tend to build lots of units. Free units was always nice.

The unique governor is listed separately from the unique units and infrastructure, so it shouldn't replace one of them.

What I mean is that you could have another civ with 2 UU, and one civ without a UU (and thus a UG in the UU "spot" for the civ). They're listed separately because they're different, but all on the same line so we don't know exactly how the governor slots into the civ.

The governor will most probably be part of a UA or even LUA.
It is possible that it won't go to a new civ at all, but to one that is reworked, just as we might see one of the new improvements or buildings being for an old civ. Iirc, Germany and Egypt got new buildings in civ V at some point.

It is possible that it won't go to a new civ at all, but to one that is reworked, just as we might see one of the new improvements or buildings being for an old civ. Iirc, Germany and Egypt got new buildings in civ V at some point.
The Khmer Baray would be a good replacement for a Dam district, in my opinion.

Top Bottom