UUs you'd like to have, and probably would if you could get that dang editor to work!

Here are a few:

UU Country Specialty

Spitfire: England: Plane with better attack and maybe make it mobile instead of immoble.

Minuteman: USA: Two turn moving musketeer or rifleman, prefereably rifleman.

T-34 MBT: Russia: Fast moving tank with better defense than others.

China: Guerilla: Guerilla soldiers, maybe with some form of stealth. . .(WW2)

I can't think of anymore right now, maybe later.

How 'bout for the US making a Delta Force unit to replace the paratrooper -- same stats, hidden nationality!

Yes, its OBVIOUS that the US is attacking, but consider them covert ops!

Something for the Americans that they can USE! The F-15 is good but comes in too late in the game to be of much use. Also the War Chariot for the Egyptians. gets outdated too soon.

For the Chinese, I don't think they should have a "Gurrila" unit, the reason being that China wasn't the only country to have a resistance movement in times of foreign occupation.

For example, the French Resistance and the Italian partisans, not to mention the ones in Russia.

In my opinion, every civ should have an ancient or middle ages UU and a (post)modern UU.

I don't have any suggestions though :crazyeye:

Originally posted by Fr8monkey
Something for the Americans that they can USE! The F-15 is good but comes in too late in the game to be of much use. Also the War Chariot for the Egyptians. gets outdated too soon.

I thought the same thing! So I gave my egyptians a "Scorpion King" (yeah REALLY cheezy i know, but its all in good fun) which I made to be a fast moving swordsman. (2 mvmnt)

Makes wars btwn Persia and Rome REALLY interesting now!

I'd like to see a Viking civ with a galley that has a better chance of crossing sea/ocean. Don't know yet how to implement this with the current editor, but it's on my list of things to do...

Also would like to replace the English Man-O-War with the Welsh longbowman, maybe 5/1/1....?

Originally posted by cephyn

I thought the same thing! So I gave my egyptians a "Scorpion King" (yeah REALLY cheezy i know, but its all in good fun) which I made to be a fast moving swordsman. (2 mvmnt)

Do you also always see Egypt entering wars between Rome and Persia?

Whenever I have these three civs and Rome and Peresia go to war, Egpty will join - and usually end up at war with both. Now often they choose my territory as the arena - a meeting engegement and I can watch my biggest enemies gut each other.
I wonder why Egypt is so keen on that fight, after all they are sooo much weak in ancient military than both others.....

Originally posted by cephyn

Is there a way to "create" a unit without having to build one, like they do in the customization part of the forum? I'd play with Egypt a lot more if I didn't hate their UU.

I also think each civ should have two UUs, one early and one later. And late game "barbarians," rebels that can reside inside your borders in jungles or mountains and, in large enough numbers, can actually take a city so you'd need to take it back from them.

I play a the Americans and what I did is this.... Go into the editor and remove the swordsman from the american list and add the Lejion. That way (like Rome) The americans have a strong early game. Mess around and see what is good for you.

Not a UU, but I would still like to see a musket using infantry unit equipped with a bayonett. I think it's really boring that cavalry is your only atacking unit in the late mecievel, early industrial era. This guy could be like a industial-era swordman, i.e. good attack, decent defense, bad movement. +it would be really nice to get rid of these stupit un-upgradable swordmen in the industrial era.

As far as the animation goes, I have noticed that some units have two different combat animations. For example, the swordman starts each battle by swinging his sword in a slashing motion, and for the rest of the battle he uses a stabbing motion. This guy could start each fight by firing his musket, and then use his bayonett for the rest of the battle.

Why have we so great affection for the UUs?!

The special units are results of long historical processes and gegraphical features. For example: when there aren't elephants on the place where the civilization resides, war elephants certainly wouldn't their special unit - until they could acquire some elephants from an other civ. After Alexander the Great, many successor states used war elephants, while they took them over from the Indians.

The idea of special units isn't wrong, but i have an idea which differents from the predefined UUs. After the development of Military Tradition, the civ could advance his own special units, by choose the traits (speed, attack, defense etc) what he would change, and all the changes could have an other effect - maybe on the price, maybe somewhere else. The names, of course, wouldn't maintained: the special units have been only special units.

Originally posted by Caranamrta
Why have we so great affection for the UUs?!

The special units are results of long historical processes and gegraphical features. For example: when there aren't elephants on the place where the civilization resides, war elephants certainly wouldn't their special unit - until they could acquire some elephants from an other civ. After Alexander the Great, many successor states used war elephants, while they took them over from the Indians.

The idea of special units isn't wrong, but i have an idea which differents from the predefined UUs. After the development of Military Tradition, the civ could advance his own special units, by choose the traits (speed, attack, defense etc) what he would change, and all the changes could have an other effect - maybe on the price, maybe somewhere else. The names, of course, wouldn't maintained: the special units have been only special units.

hey hey ... now u are getting into the realm of custom units :o ... none of that here ... that was in alpha centuri .. cant have that sort of thing in civ3!! ....
now seriously ... good idea! exept that u couldnt have ancient UU ... now perhaps if u could build some kind of a small wonder (reasonable cheeply) and u could produce that unit from that city and chose a stat increase or feature u want your UU to have ... but then u would be getting away from the "historical" base that so many people here crave (personally that is one "feature" i hate ... it constricts the gameplay too much)

I would like a UU for each epoch/age
for example

England

Ancient - Axe Men
Middle Age - Long Bow men
Industrial - Man-of-War
Modern - Mosquito or Harrier

Each civ should a have a naval UU once.

I saw that someone had a problem with not being able to upgrade their swordsmen. This can be easily rectified in the editor by checking next to upgrade in the units section.

I would also like to see a 17-18th century musketmen more reminiscent of a British redcoat with a flintlock musket I think that's the one with a bayonette. Maybe you could get that one with Military Tradition along with the cavalry but Nationalism is obtained much too quickly and suddenly muskets are obsolete.

I think there is some merit to having ancient and modern UUs but for some civs that would be very difficult to accomplish. However, if the editor worked and was easier to use theoretically we would be able to make all these changes to our own liking.

Top Bottom