v 25, Bugs/Crashes reporting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take a look at this in the next day or so - can you tell me which city to look at in the save please.

Sure. As an example, Lisbon shows no unhealthiness due to population, but Milano does. They're both mine so you can find them quickly via the domestic advisors. There are several more examples of this in there.

EDIT - Basically the cities with 30 or more health in the DA all show the problem.

SVN 3264. In the City screen the Flamability property is not showing up. I can work around using the Domestic Advisor. Also in the City screen, there are no buttons to filter buildings for the latest properties: Air Pollution, Water Pollution, and Disease.

SVN 3264
Loading saved game that:
1) Crashes w/ MAF after 1st turn when I have Memsaver = 0
2) Never stops loading once the loading bar is finished if I have Memsaver = 1. Game just crashes.

I have attached the save file.

Desktop Specs:
Quadcore Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz
3GB Ram
1GB ATI HD5850 (Catalyst 12.6 drivers)
Fully updated DX9

Running Civ4+C2C @ 1366x768, no AA, low quality, low textures, Viewports on.

I get MAFs every 10-15 turns and usually just reload. This time I can't reload. I figure my graphics card + CPU + 3GB should be able to run this flawlessly but it cant (meanwhile my 3yr old laptop w/ less Ram, integrated graphics has no problem with C2C).

Attachments

• Marcelo AD-2413-Summer.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
SVN 3264
Loading saved game that:
1) Crashes w/ MAF after 1st turn when I have Memsaver = 0
2) Never stops loading once the loading bar is finished if I have Memsaver = 1. Game just crashes.

I have attached the save file.

Desktop Specs:
Quadcore Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz
3GB Ram
1GB ATI HD5850 (Catalyst 12.6 drivers)
Fully updated DX9

Running Civ4+C2C @ 1366x768, no AA, low quality, low textures, Viewports on.

I get MAFs every 10-15 turns and usually just reload. This time I can't reload. I figure my graphics card + CPU + 3GB should be able to run this flawlessly but it cant (meanwhile my 3yr old laptop w/ less Ram, integrated graphics has no problem with C2C).

OK, easy stuff first. Have you patched the game to 3.19? Second, did you delete the old version of C2C before installing V25? It loads just fine for me. Could you please attach a minidump?

OK, easy stuff first. Have you patched the game to 3.19? Second, did you delete the old version of C2C before installing V25? It loads just fine for me. Could you please attach a minidump?

What exactly is the mini-dump? I attached a zip of the /Logs folder in the My Documents BTS folder.

BTS is 3.19. I deleted the folder prior to install.

What's strange is I can the load the save with Memsaver=0 but can't play past the first turn. With Memsaver=1 (the only option that lets me play 10-15 rounds before a MAF) the game won't even load.

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    266.5 KB · Views: 34
SVN 3260, VP 50x30,2
View attachment anothersaveattempt.rar

This is the same hotseat game I was playing earlier and the same issue, but this save shows it a little better and with less fuss. You can skip turn on all units and then end Churchill's turn. On methos' turn, the VP shifts automatically for the trackers next to my capital. Skip all units' turns here as well and end turn. When Churchill's Tracker 1 comes up (should be the first active unit) many tiles are black that should be seen (If you want, you can recenter the VP on it, it's well in the north of Churchill's explored area-you'll see that there is a a fair amount of territory to Tracker 1's east that should be visible).

The visible area seems to be limited to the portion of the map revealed to both players and this seems to only happen when the first unit of a player's turn is within the VP the other player ended on, and only if there was a VP switch on the other player's turn.

What exactly is the mini-dump? I attached a zip of the /Logs folder in the My Documents BTS folder.

BTS is 3.19. I deleted the folder prior to install.

What's strange is I can the load the save with Memsaver=0 but can't play past the first turn. With Memsaver=1 (the only option that lets me play 10-15 rounds before a MAF) the game won't even load.

I reduced the Viewport from 40x40 to 40x30 and the game loaded. Game crashed with MAF 5-7 turns in multiple times. Any idea why a PC such as mind with 3GB RAM and 1GB video memory would have such a hard time with MAFs playing at low settings/resolution, Memsaver, and WITH Viewports turned on? Could it be related to the new ATI drivers (12.6)?

An amazing mod. It really gave me a very good feeling.

But, just (less although) like Rise of Mankind (a new dawn), the Memory Allocation Failures spoil the fun.
This problem only happened once or twice in the regular civ4 BTS late games; huge maps.
In these mods the MAF problem occurs much sooner on smaller and standard maps.

I've also noticed units have a weird barb/double art representation.
Example : barb knight = bizon or barb unit = oranutang.

Can't start a game, can load the mod and wander around the Civilopedia and menus just fine and set up a game but as soon as I hit Launch it exits/crashes to the desktop, no messages or anything, just exits the game...

DCM options Archer bombard, stack attack and opportunity fire are not working.
----Caveman2Cosmos\UserSettings\RevDCM.ini:
DCM_ARCHER_BOMBARD = True
DCM_STACK_ATTACK = True
DCM_ATTACK_SUPPORT = True
Related line in Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\XML\Units\CIV4UnitInfos.xml is <iDCMBombAccuracy>

Archer bombard - does not work at all
Opportunity fire - does not work at all
Stack attack - bugged. Eg. in a 4 vs 4 combat, the winning attacking party does not occupy the defeates stack's tile. It remains on the tile where they were. (open up WB, add eg. 4 archers to a tile, add 4 barbarian stone thrower, attack, and youll see.

There is a occasional bug with the DCM one but clicking anywhere on the mini map fixes the problem and they will occupy the city.

The stack attack is understandable. The way it works is that each unit still attacks separately, just rapidly after each other to make it go faster for you, the player. As the first 3 units use up their movement to make their attacks the stack stays as at least one unit has no movement.
Had Stack Attack made all units attack simultaneously then it would have been a bug, but it doesn't.

Cheers

There are two "Stack Attack" options. The DCM one they do all attack at once. It does cause some problems with our capture slaves code.

An amazing mod. It really gave me a very good feeling.

But, just (less although) like Rise of Mankind (a new dawn), the Memory Allocation Failures spoil the fun.
This problem only happened once or twice in the regular civ4 BTS late games; huge maps.
In these mods the MAF problem occurs much sooner on smaller and standard maps.

That is because C2C has more in it.

I've also noticed units have a weird barb/double art representation.
Example : barb knight = bizon or barb unit = oranutang.

Turn animations on in the options. That error is part of the graphics engine which can't be fixed.

After loading my current game with revision 3271 a lot of plots inside my cultural borders are covered by the fog of war. This is playing without viewports (unless they are enabled by default).

View attachment 328064

Edit: after playing a few turns and uncovering a few plots most of them are again covered a few turns later.

After loading my current game with revision 3271 a lot of plots inside my cultural borders are covered by the fog of war. This is playing without viewports (unless they are enabled by default).

View attachment 328064

Edit: after playing a few turns and uncovering a few plots most of them are again covered a few turns later.

Were they that way when you first loaded the game? Did you do a modifier recalc? If it's eproducible from a save please post the save + reproduction instructions

Posting a savegame from an earlier SVN revision (around 10-15 versions back). Doing a modifier recalc with rev 3721 leads to the fog of war showing up inside cultural borders.

View attachment 328071

I have an issue that is not specific to v25. It's been happening since 23 but not game stopping. When I discover some techs, the screen that's supposed to show describing the tech, buildings/units enabled just pops up for a split second and disappears. The audio, if any, still plays.

I'm a newbie so forgive me some of my ignorance.

I have BTS3.19 installed. I played C2C v25 (no prior version) for 4 hours last night. Loaded save game this morning and had a crash after pressing the end of turn button (where I left off previously). Don't know what 'MAF crash' (described above) is, but the screen just went black with an underscore white cursor in the upper left. Was forced to cold reboot. I'm guessing its the same issue that Tonyrat is having?

My video settings are set to high (I'd be happy to change them), memsaver=0, 1280x1024 resoloution (set by BTS my desktop is 1024x768) playing on a large size world. I've seen a lot of talk about viewports, but I don't know where that option is to tell you what it is set at (nor do I know how to change it). Sorry.

I'm running on a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, 3GB RAM w/boot.ini modification, WinXP (fully updated), with a NVidia 7600GT (256MB) video card with up to date drivers.

I'm a newbie so forgive me some of my ignorance.

I have BTS3.19 installed. I played C2C v25 (no prior version) for 4 hours last night. Loaded save game this morning and had a crash after pressing the end of turn button (where I left off previously). Don't know what 'MAF crash' (described above) is, but the screen just went black with an underscore white cursor in the upper left. Was forced to cold reboot. I'm guessing its the same issue that Tonyrat is having?

My video settings are set to high (I'd be happy to change them), memsaver=0, 1280x1024 resoloution (set by BTS my desktop is 1024x768) playing on a large size world. I've seen a lot of talk about viewports, but I don't know where that option is to tell you what it is set at (nor do I know how to change it). Sorry.

I'm running on a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, 3GB RAM w/boot.ini modification, WinXP (fully updated), with a NVidia 7600GT (256MB) video card with up to date drivers.

No. If you get a crash that toally kills Windows (not just Civ) that's either a hardware problem or (more likely) a driver (probably video driver) bug. It's **probably** triggered by a video resource issue, so it may well be that a MAF situation might trigger it, but ultimately it's a driver bug.

Since there's a good chance that it's memory lack that triggers it (check after loading the game how much free memory Windows claims there is in task manager), then various memory tricks **may** help you. I'd start by enabling viewports to see if that helps - the viewports thread and also the FAQ thread both contain instructions (the FAQ thread is probably most concise)

Thanks Koshling, I stumbled on the viewport thread just as you answered this here and on the other thread where I mentioned it. I printed out the instructions and will try that (in addition to turning off Anti_Aliasing and changing the graphic settings to medium).

As for the video driver, I know it is up to date as is DirectX. Course that doesn't mean there isn't a issue, just one I can't solve.

You also mention 'memory tricks'. Is there somewhere you could please point me?

I also noted the following comment was recently added to the front page of the main thread:
There should NOT be any crashes (besides MAFs) also recently there has been some crashes to desktop, but that's all you have to do is use autosave and use FIRST entry there and then everything should be fine (just glitches is all), i have looked and looked trying to make it as stable as possible, but if there is pls report and try to figure it out and let me know, thx. (See post # 8, para 8

So I will also try that (using the topmost autosave), but will hazzard a guess that the real issue is related to the save game file?

So I will also try that (using the topmost autosave), but will hazzard a guess that the real issue is related to the save game file?

If it's memory related it's probably just map size. Viewports should help in that case and your save should be fine. If it persists and crashes reliably at the same point even with viewports post the minidump (minidump.dmp, which will be cerated when a crash occurs in the same folder that contains your BTS EXE)

A bug that may not be viewport related: some of my cities are not getting unhealthiness due to population. Some are, some aren't.

Here's the save if you want to take a look. It's pretty big. Couldn't attach to the post for some reason.

http://bayfiles.com/file/j4rF/prHiMl/Portugal_Huge_World.rar

This is a simple error (I assume anyway) in the XML that defines the garbage dock - it's set to make the city no-unhealth!! I assume this is not intended, but it's Hydro's building, so he'll need to comment and/or fix:
Code:
		<BuildingInfo>
			<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_GARBAGE_DOCK</BuildingClass>
			<Type>BUILDING_GARBAGE_DOCK</Type>
			<SpecialBuildingType>NONE</SpecialBuildingType>
			<bMapCentering>0</bMapCentering>
			<bNoUnhappiness>0</bNoUnhappiness>
			[B]<bNoUnhealthyPopulation>1</bNoUnhealthyPopulation>[/B]
			<bBuildingOnlyHealthy>0</bBuildingOnlyHealthy>
		</BuildingInfo>

It **might** be deliberate, since the fact that it is also no-food-from-water-tiles and only buildable in coastal cities (and only works with waste-to-sea active) counterbalance it. Whether it's over-powered given those counter-balancing points is certainly debatable, but it's probably not a bug per se.

Were they that way when you first loaded the game? Did you do a modifier recalc? If it's eproducible from a save please post the save + reproduction instructions

I can confirm this - modifier recalc only exacerbated the problem with more FoW appearing within cultural borders. I first got this after your rev 3269, but then the FoW was gone after a single turn. Now it seems more persistent, but I'll try playing a few turns more and see if it goes away on its own.

FWIW I have viewports disabled, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom