Version 4.1 Discussion Thread

Let's pray it's nothing serious. At last we are all mortal.
Is there anybody out there who has his telephone number or address and can confirm he is still alive?
He doesn't reply to my E-mails.

Are those other download forums free? Can you name some?
I am am quite short in time momentarily.

Ideally, can you downdload it from Rapdishare, upload it to your desired place and send me the download link? I would then edit my download posting accordingly.

torrent, I'd seed it for a while

PS - is the mod officially dead then? No one has heard or been able to contact Mongoose in all this time?

No contact, presumed lost at sea or in space. Whereabouts unknown.

JosEPh

Sorry, got worn out, then sidetracked... repeatedly.

I kinda went and made a whole major StarCraft 2 custom map from scratch that took 4 months... heh. Oops. Had a Barcraft addiction before that (it's a card game on SC2), and a bunch more custom framing work both last summer and just now...

Oh and I got my Asperger's officially diagnosed, so that was fun! ... Not. But at least I have a rock-solid medical excuse for 90% of all the behaviors and traits and tendencies I've ever exhibited in my life, now... I'm pretty much the most textbook case of it ever.

It's been so long I had kinda forgotten where I was and what I was doing and stuff with the Civ4 mod, but in looking things over again it looks like I was almost done with the content part of the big (actually, huge) update. I'm going to go ahead and finish the last of that up and release it as version 4.1 in the next couple days.

This will be a temporary intermediate release without any of the planned and badly-needed AI updates, which are the only thing I didn't get to last spring. That'll be version 4.2, and IT may take a little longer, heh. But at least Rakete will finally be able to get started on his Africa update.

In retrospect I probably should've done this 7 months ago... But in my defense I'm not getting paid for this work, once I zone in on something else my focus can be locked for a while (Asperger's), and I'm still just as depressed and miserable as always, so I don't feel TOO terrible about it. :p

Hourrra, one of the best mods done by one of the best modders is alive again :)
you're going to make many people less depressed and less miserable :)
thanks for coming back

So, is PerfectMongoose 3.3 still in the cards?

The MongooseMod version of it has been done since last spring and will be in 4.1, but the stand-alone release of it for vanilla will take a little time to prep. I'll try to get to that next, though I'm still not 100% distraction-free, heh.

I also have to figure out what happened with my free RapidShare account. I noticed last spring the login info wasn't working, so I emailed them about it but never got around to reading the response they sent. I'm so sick of dealing with carp like this, but I need it working so I can upgrade to the $18-a-year pay version, sigh.

Whelp, it's been exactly 18 months now since 4.0.1 was released (21 April 2012). Sorry again for the delay... We'll soon see if anyone is actually still around who cares about this mod, heh.

Anyway, version 4.1 is now officially done. It doesn't include any of the badly-needed AI updates which will be the subject of 4.2, but even so, this is easily one of my biggest content patches ever. There is so much amazing stuff in here I don't even know where to begin... I promise it will have been worth the wait. :)

I have tested most of the obvious things there are to test with the new features, but due to the rushed schedule I have NOT tested everything 100% exhaustively. I don't expect there to be any bugs, but if there are I'll fix them in 4.2.

It'll take another day or two to convert the Patch Notes to Release Notes, and to find the best place to host it (I'm assuming a paid account on RS won't have speed issues).

I still play it, one of my favorite mods still, and as always I do appreciate all the time you've put in to modding, looking forward to the update.

awaiting release semi-patiently ;)

Soooo as it turns out... it wasn't actually done when I said it was, lol. I found a dozen more things to tweak or fix on Sunday and Monday, and THEN I stupidly read some of my backlogged emails from Rakete, which OF COURSE reminded me of some old bugs and added a few new ones... sigh. :p

I'm going to put off a few things still left in his list, but there are 2 or 3 I'd really like to fix that shouldn't take TOO long. I did finally settle on a hosting service to start paying yearly money to though (Mediafire, since RapidShare screwed me over), so that's out of the way.

I'm currently hoping to get it up late Thursday, but the more realistic prediction is probably sometime Friday.

please release the source code as well.

Well Keldath is persistent, I'll give him that. :( Sadly my position on this hasn't changed, and never will: I want to keep some exclusive features in the mod, and also, as the only significant thing I've ever done in my entire life, this SDK work is too valuable for me to just let go of.

I'd be happy to sell it, but there are 2 problems with that: first, the Civ4 Terms of Service don't allow it, and even if I were willing to go around that, I'm pretty sure CivFanatics wouldn't allow it either, heh.

Secondly, I would charge a professional-salary-type rate, times the absurd number of hours I've spent working on even just the SDK over the last 7 years, and you wouldn't like the number that results. I say this NOT to instigate interest in doing so, but to emphasize my point that THAT is how valuable this code is to me.

If I had ever had a REAL job at any time in my life, I would probably feel a lot more self-worth, and might be in a more generous mood. But as a human, I cling to the only things I DO have.

Whelp, as of last night it's now BACK to 100% completion. :p I updated the Change Log sticky with all the notes since the last time it was refreshed, in case anyone wants to fill the empty void left in their soul by these final agonizing hours with some thrilling reading. ;)

Working on the Release Notes conversion now. I might have it up tonight, otherwise it'll be tomorrow afternoon for sure.

well... to bad.

ive been on fanatics for 8 years. i didnt know a modder that havent released the source code.

all of the mods in the site, all of the great codes - bbai, revolution, dale, afforess and many good ones spent countless hours on this work, as do i on all of my moddings.

i think civ modding is all about sharing, and you keeping your work locked..isnt in this spirit, i can repect that, truly do, but i dont agree with this.

it is prefered that you share your skills with everyone, look at kmod - he did such a super code for the ai, and he shared it with all, he also spent countless hours, now many enjoy his work - as do you.
people can and should enjoy your work as a contributer to the site. people like c2c team and more.
i know you are skilled and youve made some great stuff, furthur more - once before - on your early version - 3 i think, you did released your sdk, what changed?

the beuty of this community is the core of it - all the modders create stuff for other to use, FREE, for fun and enjoyment.

i have modded for 7 + years, shared all my work, i promiss you, i spent eternity on all of my work, and i have done it all for the people here.

i belive many of the modders would agree with me, and i hope you will feel generous and join the site's spirit of sharing.

asking for money....wrong in my opinion. asking for donations, more like it (i dont remember kael the creator of the ultimate mod ffh2, asked for a dime).
too bad you choose to remain so locked on it.

i really wanna try your mod, but i dont try mods that wont share.

i wish you well friend, if i was too aggressive i apologise, hope you can understand my point of view, if not, all is good we each have our way.
i promiss i wont bother you again with it again.
good luck , i truly know your mod will rock either way.

with much respect,
kel.

ive been on fanatics for 8 years. i didnt know a modder that havent released the source code.

I have. I've said this before, too: Total Realism had private source code for several years a while back. I respected the hell out of them for that. It motivated me to work harder on my own code, to try to achieve some of what they had done on my own.

all of the mods in the site, all of the great codes - bbai, revolution, dale, afforess and many good ones spent countless hours on this work, as do i on all of my moddings.

Yes, but you all have jobs in real-life. You have other things to live for besides video game work. I don't.

i think civ modding is all about sharing, and you keeping your work locked..isnt in this spirit, i can repect that, truly do, but i dont agree with this.

To me, it isn't all about sharing at all. It is about creating the best possible mod. It is 100% about the craft.

I mentioned when I came back I'd gotten an official diagnosis for Asperger's. If you google that and read up on it, you'll find one of the primary effects is indifference toward other people. I literally do not care what anyone else in the world does, or what they think. I don't mean them any harm, I'm not evil; I just don't care. At all. I used to think that was just me being a bad person, but it turns out it's an actual medical thing. :)

it is prefered that you share your skills with everyone, look at kmod - he did such a super code for the ai, and he shared it with all, he also spent countless hours, now many enjoy his work - as do you.

I am grateful beyond words to lots of people, but JDog and Karadoc in particular, for sharing, as my mod has benefitted enormously from it (or soon will). But they did not have a full mod to protect. Their works are mod components. (I know technically K-Mod is a full mod, but 90% of what makes it different from vanilla is the SDK stuff.)

furthur more - once before - on your early version - 3 i think, you did released your sdk, what changed?

I've explained this before, too... sigh. I released my SDK code in the past when my full mod was private, b/c that meant it didn't matter. As soon as I brought the mod back to public status (after a long hiatus from the really-early days), I took the SDK private.

i have modded for 7 + years, shared all my work, i promiss you, i spent eternity on all of my work, and i have done it all for the people here.

No matter how many hours you spend on this, you are doing it as a hobby. I am not. For me it is my profession, my obsession, my full-time job. Take this away and I have nothing left. My life is empty and meaningless except for this kind of work.

i belive many of the modders would agree with me, and i hope you will feel generous and join the site's spirit of sharing.

I am already sharing an enormous amount. The full mod itself, all the new terrain and feature graphics I've made for it in this version, some more icon work as always, a deep well of modding ideas in general, and a major update to my fairly-popular map script. These things will ALL be freely available. In my view, I am contributing a ton, even without the SDK.

asking for money....wrong in my opinion.

I did not ask for money. I was VERY CLEAR about that point. I mentioned it to emphasize the VALUE the code has to ME PERSONALLY. That is NOT the same as asking for money.

asking for donations, more like it (i dont remember kael the creator of the ultimate mod ffh2, asked for a dime).

I don't know any of the details, but I remember reading a while back he went off to found his own company to take FFH private and start making lots of money from it. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

i really wanna try your mod, but i dont try mods that wont share.

That is entirely up to you. But you'll be missing out on a lot of content that you CAN extract from it, which seems to contradict your position. :p

i understand,

thank you for the the replies.

im sry if i made you feel bad or anything.

i respect now more what you do. it is your right.

health is the most important thing.

i get the code is important to you that much.

life is good.

again, im sry and i wish you happiness and fun.

ill probably try your mod :)

p.s. - working - sucks !

AAAAAAAAAAAND... We're live.

At last.

Been working on this version on-and-off for 18 months now hehe.

There are several ways to look at size - version 4.0 probably had more SDK work for example - but if you go by the number of lines in the Change Log and Release Notes, then version 4.1 is my NEW single biggest patch ever. TAKE THAT, you stupid pathetic version 4.0... Mwa ha ha.

To summarize, this has: MASSIVE graphics updates, a MASSIVE PerfectMongoose mapscript update, substantial updates in the usual mod content departments, and a STILL-RATHER-IMPRESSIVE list of SDK changes.

(I suppose at this juncture I should also mention a few remaining icon selections that didn't make it into the last Historical Document post: Atheism black Medieval crest lion on light gold background, Witch Doctor skeletal hand on black background, Shaman yellow energy orb on red background, Atlatl two darts flying left on bright red background, Air Bomb two B52s on tarmac, Air Explore old map, Air Intercept green fighter shooting on sunset background, Air Rebase purple and red suitcase on gray background, Air Recon white drone with sharp angles over dark blue water, Air Sentinel rotated Harrier over light blue water. As always I didn't MAKE these icons, but I found them and chose them for these roles and that's a skill too.)

Top Bottom