[NFP] Vietnam Discussion Thread

But significantly better than "LOL FOREST ROADS"
To be fair that could have fit with Vietnam too. Ho Chi Minh Trail anyone? :mischief:
But I like the current bonuses better.

It's curious - those tiles clearly have the "flood" icon on them, but they don't have that feature overlay showing them as a floodplain. So yeah maybe there's something which would cause them to be flood-susceptible for some reason yet not be a floodplain? Or perhaps simply the overlay is incorrect, given there's a floodplain further down the river?
i think what's going on is this:
1. the map generates rivers
2. the map generates patches of river-adjacent non-hilly land which can flood
3. the map fills in those tiles with various features: marsh, rainforest, and floodplains (wouldve previously just been floodplains)

no idea how map generation actually works, but this seems plausible to me

interesting implications that i can think of:
- now you can put improvements that cant go on floodplains on tiles that can flood (example: kurgans cant go on floodplains but can now go on flooding tiles if they were previously marsh or rainforest)
- dam placement just got a HECK of a lot more restricted unless they remove the floodplain restriction in favor of a "flooding tile" restriction
- now you can have a hurricane, a forest fire, and a flood all simultaneously happening on a tile
- volcanic soil can now get deposited on tiles that flood
- resources that can't go on floodplains can now nonetheless appear on tiles that flood (truffles come to mind - cant go on floodplains but can go on rainforest and marsh, so now can appear on flooding tiles)
- as seen in the vietnam video, woods can be placed on flooding tiles, if you remove rainforest/marsh on one of them and then plant woods

if anyone can think of other interesting implications, lemme know! ^_^

Random thought on the UD...since it is not considered a specialty district I wonder if it is limited to a single one per city? The vid doesn't say anything about that you can built it multiple times, I don't think it would be good for balance and technically it should be easy to code (most non-specialty districts aren't restricted to one pery city, but the Aquaeduct shows that it is possible)...but I just hope that this didn't slip through...

EDIT: Corrected wrong spelling of specialty district. Thanks for pointing it out :)

Last edited:
A couple of points confirmed by Carl on The GameMechanic's stream:

- Placing districts does not remove the features, so they continue to provide bonuses for appeal, adjacency, etc.

- Something that I don't think many people noticed - the LUA does not specify it's only for military units, meaning civilian units (e.g. settlers and builders) should get the movement speed bonus.

Another case of a civ being led by someone who never actually the leader. As a folk hero, she's more of a great general type. Parallels to Joan of Arc could be drawn.

Better choice would have been Lê Lợi, but I think we all know by now that Firaxis follows the path of wokeness. Even then though, there's Trưng Trắc as a choice of a female leader who was actually at the head of government. Anywhoo, small matter.

Leader powers are kind of dull to me, since it's just combat bonuses that typically aren't needed. Everything else seems pretty cool. I'm a sucker for civ's that integrate with the map strongly. Could be a new fave. Looking forward to trying it out in concert with the Preserve district.

Last edited:
Random thought on the UD...since it is not considered a special district I wonder if it is limited to a single one per city? The vid doesn't say anything about that you can built it multiple times, I don't think it would be good for balance and technically it should be easy to code (most non-special districts aren't restricted to one pery city, but the Aquaeduct shows that it is possible)...but I just hope that this didn't slip through...
1: Specialty District, not Special District. I don't mean to sound rude there, apologies if it comes off as such. 2: You can't build more than one in a City, because I'm sure even the developers know that is just stupidly OP.

And by the way. See, how a good and fun movement boost mechanic can be done? Look at Vietnam. And that's why I am criticizing this flat +1 movement of Gran Colombia.
Even just editing it to +1 Movement on their Home Continent would make it better. Less OP, but still pretty powerful while also making it a bit more fun.

A couple of points confirmed by Carl on The GameMechanic's stream:

- Placing districts does not remove the features, so they continue to provide bonuses for appeal, adjacency, etc.

- Something that I don't think many people noticed - the LUA does not specify it's only for military units, meaning civilian units (e.g. settlers and builders) should get the movement speed bonus.

And you do not need mining & bronze working before placing a district on wood or rainforest.

1: Specialty District, not Special District. I don't mean to sound rude there, apologies if it comes off as such. 2: You can't build more than one in a City, because I'm sure even the developers know that is just stupidly OP.

1) Thanks for the correction (edited my post above) 2) Yes, I'm leaning towards that prediction as well...but given some of the bugs we have seen with NFP and technically more than one "extra shooting district" being possible (Gauls) there is a tiny rest of a risk...

1) Thanks for the correction (edited my post above) 2) Yes, I'm leaning towards that prediction as well...but given some of the bugs we have seen with NFP and technically more than one "extra shooting district" being possible (Gauls) there is a tiny rest of a risk...

I don’t think it’s a concern at all.

There’s a single flag in the database to change RequiresPopulation from true to false (which is the sole property that makes a district a specialty district or not) and it’s unconnected with the flag limiting a district to one per city. After all, Aqueducts cannot be built more than once per city.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s a concern at all.

There’s a single flag in the database to change RequiresPopulation from true to false (which is the sole property that makes a district a specialty district or not) and it’s unconnected with the flag limiting a district to one per city. After all, Aqueducts and Dams cannot be built more than once per city.

Ok, thanks for explaining the code side. As already stated, Aquaeducts are showing that it can be set that way (Dams are though not an example for this : You can built more than one in the same city, if you have access to two rivers in range)

After all, Aqueducts and Dams cannot be built more than once per city.

Actually, you can have more than one Dam per city, the restriction is one Dam per river. Though if you're ever thinking of doing this keep in mind that you are restricted to one hydroelectric dam building per city, in case you're trying to get lots of power, like using it for tourism with the biosphere. learned that one the hard way....

Ok, thanks for explaining the code side. As already stated, Aquaeducts are showing that it can be set that way (Dams are though not an example for this : You can built more than one in the same city, if you have access to two rivers in range)

oh that’s right about dams! My mistake, it just so rarely happens that you can do that that I forgot.

Still providing coffee to their civilians too like Gran Colombia.

I guess Ethiopia, the originators of making coffee get no recognition. Unless that's why the Oromo move so fast on hills. :mischief:

Top Bottom