[NFP] Vietnam Discussion Thread

Vietnam first look today likely means Vietnamese soundtrack tomorrow :D
That's the best part of Vietnam. That's the best part of every Civilization.

It appears that Vietnam is stronger than we thought. The ability to place Forests down earlier really offsets having to place Specialty Districts on Woods, Marshes, and Rainforests. The Thanh is actually a good place to gain Adjacency Bonuses for both it and adjacent Specialty Districts. It also works with the Culture theme for Vietnam. The Voi Chien looks like a pretty powerful replacement for the Crossbowman. Extra Movement, can move after attacking, extra Bonuses toward defense, what's not to like about it? Lady Trieu's ability really gives it a sense of Defensive War and guerilla tactics without being memeish.

UA: Nine Dragons River Delta: All land specialty districts can only be built on rain forests, marsh or woods tiles. Buildings on each different tile receive either additional science, production or culture. Medieveal faires civic lets you plant woods.

UU: Voi Chién (the elephant unit we've seen). Medieval era ranged unit. Additional movement and can move after attacking. More sight, more defence, slightly more expensive than the unit it replaces.

UD: Thanh. Replaces encampment. Offers addditional culture for each adjacent district. Gives tourism equal to culture after flight.

Bà Triêu's UA: Drive out the aggressors. +5 combat strength for units fighting in rainforest, marsh or woods tiles. +1 movement if their turn begins there. Both bonuses doubled if the tile is in your territory.

upload_2021-1-21_17-11-44.png

Combat strength bonus AND movement bonus for Marsh/Woods/Rainforest seem like a nice thematic touch, and doubling this in Vietnam's territory (seems to be 2x anyway from first look at the First Look) makes it pretty solid. Still think the building bonuses are underwhelming considering the district placement penalty, but I'm excited to try Vietnam out

The thàhn not requiring population is nice. I'm having trouble immediately seeing a strategy for Lady Trieu, though. They'll be an interesting, challenging civ to play (and if the AI understands its bonuses at all, probably a painful neighbor to start near) but it's hard to picture them being super powerful at this point.

Is this the first New Frontier leader to have unique animations? They're amazing! Even better than GS and R&F leaders, I say.

I'm not a huge fan of the militaristic leader ability in terms of gameplay but the rest looks fun. The civ will also have some synergy with the new Preserve district thanks to the ability to plant woods early on.

I posted this in another thread, so let me just post it here.

It appears that Vietnam is stronger than we thought. The ability to place Forests down earlier really offsets having to place Specialty Districts on Woods, Marshes, and Rainforests. The Thanh is actually a good place to gain Adjacency Bonuses for both it and adjacent Specialty Districts. It not being a Specialty District makes it easier to plan your Specialty Districts around it to get the sweet Culture and Tourism. It also works with the Culture theme for Vietnam. The Voi Chien looks like a pretty powerful replacement for the Crossbowman. Extra Movement, can move after attacking, extra Bonuses toward defense, what's not to like about it? Lady Trieu's ability really gives it a sense of Defensive War and guerilla tactics without being memeish.

Interesting play style.

Still not sure about the Unique Encampment as it kind of feels out of place, not necessarily looking like it should be unique to Vietnam. I do find it interesting that late game it will be used for tourism.

Plus a crossbowmen replacement riding on an Elephant is kind of cool though too bad it doesn't use crossbows. I mean I don't know if that was a thing in Vietnam anyways.

Leader model to me looks great and her bonuses fit well thematically.

Is this the first New Frontier leader to have unique animations? They're amazing! Even better than GS and R&F leaders, I say.
Ambiorix did.

Top Bottom