[NFP] Vietnam Discussion Thread

How dare these fools talk of coffee! The only acceptable beverage on this earth is the simply delightful, wonderful, and splendidly OP Yorkshire Tea.

The CIV looks pretty interesting.

I usually play Maya these days, but I loved playing as the elves in FFH2 and plant woods everywhere, so I am looking forward to try that in CIV6 with Vietnam.

I usually don't pay much attention to appeal, so I got two questions:
(1) Iirc planted woods are a seperate feature compared to "regular" ones (and I would assume Vietnam's ability just works like the late game one). Do planted forests provide the extra appeal a "regular" forest would?
(2) If I interprete the icon of that new district correctly it works like the Neighborhood and you can build multiple per city. Am I correct in this assumption?

The CIV looks pretty interesting.

I usually play Maya these days, but I loved playing as the elves in FFH2 and plant woods everywhere, so I am looking forward to try that in CIV6 with Vietnam.

I usually don't pay much attention to appeal, so I got two questions:
(1) Iirc planted woods are a seperate feature compared to "regular" ones (and I would assume Vietnam's ability just unlocks those earlier). Do they provide extra appeal?
(2) If I interprete the icon of that new district correctly it works like the Neighborhood and you can build multiple per city. Am I correct in this assumption?
1: Planted Forests give extra Appeal to adjacent Tiles, but don't provide extra Appeal after unlocking Conservation.
2: No. If you could, that would make every game so ridiculously OP, that even the developers wouldn't want that. It's more like the Aqueduct than the Neighborhood.

How dare these fools talk of coffee! The only acceptable beverage on this earth is the simply delightful, wonderful, and splendidly OP Yorkshire Tea.
I can't agree. I don't like tea. :p
I say this with a cup of coffee right by me now.

I can't wait to play as Vietnam and get a monopoly on coffee and not share any with Pedro.

1: Planted Forests give extra Appeal to adjacent Tiles, but don't provide extra Appeal after unlocking Conservation.
2: No. If you could, that would make every game so ridiculously OP, that even the developers wouldn't want that. It's more like the Aqueduct than the Neighborhood.
Righty, ty.

Either way I am curious if my old SMAC "forest on every tile" strategy could work out. :D

I went to the Civ6 game website, hoping for screenshots of the Voi Chien and Thanh, but no pictures are posted....someone at Firaxis is being lazy today....

The only tea that is palatable without spices is wulong. :p Masala chai is great. But a good cup of black coffee is better than any tea. ;) I have The Sisko's support on this. :p

The only tea that is palatable without spices is wulong. :p Masala chai is great. But a good cup of black coffee is better than any tea. ;) I have The Sisko's support on this. :p
I can't agree. I don't like tea. :p
I say this with a cup of coffee right by me now.

I can't wait to play as Vietnam and get a monopoly on coffee and not share any with Pedro.
Spiffing Brit does not approve.

So the Vietnamese are the Marsh/Wood/Jungle benders in Civ6? :p
I like Ba Trieu's yellow Ao Dai, but I don't know how historically accurate the clothing choice is. Her headgear looks similar to depictions of the Trung Sisters. I remember how the most popular Vietnam (Colonialist Legacies) mod in Civ5, reused the model of some Assassin's Creed Black Flag character (who was Chinese), as the Trung sisters.

Overall, I'm glad SE Asia got three Civs in Civ6. Maybe, someday, Burma/Myanmar and the Philippines will make the cut.

I don’t think it’s a concern at all.

There’s a single flag in the database to change RequiresPopulation from true to false (which is the sole property that makes a district a specialty district or not) and it’s unconnected with the flag limiting a district to one per city. After all, Aqueducts cannot be built more than once per city.

My question is, If from code perpesctive SD is really just about Pop Limit, If something is phrased as "Your Speciality Districts gain extra GPs", would it give extra General Points? That line that it is not SP just seems suspiciously specific. Especially since it already mentoins not needing Pop on top of that.

Not sure if anyone has said this (the thread is getting long) but I absolutely love the Voi Chien's design. It is strong but not in an overtly dumb/OP way, like it can shoot twice, or it just flat out has an extra range.
In case anyone is not sure, ZoC in Civ6 forces units to attack before they can move away, so units that can attack after moving basically can weave in and out of ZoC within the same turn. There are currently only 2 units with this ability: Cossack (which ignores ZoC totally anyway, so it is irrelevant here), and recon units with appropriate promotions (with the exception of Warak'aq, you don't fight with recon), so a Crossbowman that can be extremely mobile against ZoC is quite "something." It doesn't ignore ZoC per se, but it is pretty damn close to it, since you can always attack the unit or district that is exerting ZoC on you to free yourself. AND layers of VC can weave in and out to take their turn to shoot down a city within the same turn. Also considering VN will easily earn Generals since they love building Encampments, and the extra movement if starting on features, this Elephant can be fun to play with. And VC is sturdy on defense... This is very reminiscent of Camel Archers, if only the VC had some extra Ranged Strength as well, they will be the Camel Archers of Civ6.
Like I said, this is a strong unit without an overtly OP design. I love it.

I like Ba Trieu's yellow Ao Dai, but I don't know how historically accurate the clothing choice is. Her headgear looks similar to depictions of the Trung Sisters.
Both this version of Ao Dai and the headgear (Khăn vấn day) are from the late Nguyễn dynasty (1800s). Her spear is a brozne age spear of the Đồng Sơn culture (1000-100 BC) and she's historically an anonymous rebel of the Wu Kingdom (220 - 280) of the Chinese Three Kingdoms period. So yes, her looks are completely based on very late depictions of her in the folk art with a tiny hint towards the indigenous culture of the lands.

I just love that it's apparently an elephant that knows guerrilla tactics.
You wouldn't expect an elephant, would you?

Top Bottom