Viking Historical Victory Guide

Fresol

Angry Halfling in Green
This is a complementary guide to the gameplay video I posted at http://www.acfun.tv/v/ac2548021. The game was on Monarch/Normal setting, 600 AD scenario.

A quick analysis on the three Viking historical goals:

1.Control a European core in 1050 AD.
England and Italy are easier targets than France, Spain, Holy Rome or Russia. Portugal is not a valid target. To control a core basically you need to control the majority of cities in the region, so in the case of Italy you only need to conquer Venice(600 AD scenario). But I recommend taking England's core instead, just like what I did in the game video.

2.Settle a city in America by 1100 AD.
This one may perplex someone who is new to DoC. 1100 AD is way too early for galleons so we need to make use of the "Iceland hop". Acquring Compass will unlock the path to Iceland, then settle Reykjavík and wait for its first culture expansion at 10:culture: to unlock the route to Vinland. It's recommended to bulb Compass with a great scientist, so skip Meditation before that.

3.Acquire 3000 gold through Viking raids.
This is probably the most straightforward quest. In my game I did next to no pillaging, but pillaging is really lucrative. With the Viking UP, it's easy to reach this goal if you just keep the wars going.

A brief summary of the video:

~0:00
Starting cities: Aarhus, Kalmar and Stockholm, each with enough food and a bit of production. Aarhus starts building a library right away. After the library is finished, hire scientists in Aarhus immediately.

~0:13
First settler is out. We colonize Ireland with it, since our 2nd settler will be in time to found Lindsburg on 840 AD. I find it useless to try anything east of the Viking core, the investment does not pay back quickly enough within our limited timeframe.

~0:21
Settling Lindisfarne on turn 24/840 AD. This city cripples the English, and we only need to conquer one more of their cities to control their core.

~0:26
Great scientist is born in Aarhus. A settler in galley should be waiting to colonize Iceland already, which I failed to do. I was still in time though. Reminder: do NOT get Meditation if you want to bulb Compass.

Prepare an army of huscarls and catapults in the meanwhile. Also train some galleys and triremes.

~0:36
Reykjavík is founded. Whip a pagan temple immediately and have a settler in galley waiting for the border expansion.

~0:44
It's about time to conquer London, use the forest for cover. In our case, taking London alone would satisfy the 1st historical goal. We wiped the English out nevertheless. They won't respawn untill after 1700 AD.

~0:59
The route to Vinland is open, hurry up!

~1:11
Birka is founded in the New World and boom! A 9-turn golden age! It's actually a bug.

~1:16
Invade France.

~1:26
France capitulates.

~1:34
Invade Spain.

~1:55
Spain capitulates.

~2:06
Invade Portugal and Portugal is wiped out on the turn.

~2:18
War against the Moors.

~2:44
The Moors capitulates. Note that the Moors can respawn after they are dead, unlike the Euro civs who have to wait until 1700 AD. Of course it's irrelevant to this game.

~2:57
Invade Holy Rome. They have been given a long time to develop in peace so the battles are tougher.

~3:01
New World conquerors destroy the Aztec civilization. Scientific research shows that the Aztecs are of Moorish descendence.

~3:18
New World conquerors invade Incan land.

~3:27
Holy Rome capitulates. 3000 gold has been acquired through the raids and the game ends.

It's always a pleasure to read your guides.
I just want you to know I wrote the whole Argentine Historical Victory Guide just because you said this.

Well I lied. Good to hear it anyway.

~1:11
Birka is founded in the New World and boom! A 9-turn golden age! It's actually a bug.

why it is a bug?

Normally you get an 8 turn golden age. But for some UHV conditions that settle instantly instead of at the end of turn, you may get this extra 1 turn of golden age because of the codes. I consider it to be not intended and therefore a bug.

Video was deleted from the original hosted site. Can you upload it here please, since we got near infinite upload capacity here.

Video was deleted from the original hosted site. Can you upload it here please, since we got near infinite upload capacity here.
Unfortunately I no longer have the original video.

Many things changed since 2016. Does the Compass work the same way for Vikings now?

Yes as far as I know. Best way to win UHV is still settling Scotland and conquering England. After the Iceland hop and founding Vinland, if your Vinland city positioning is right (covers all the capes), you can sail any ship to Mexico to trigger the conqueror event (1300 AD onwards).

But I used to see English flip Inverness... No more?

Settle immediately after the flip, on the iron is a good spot. English settlers won't reach there in time.

You can consider this to be an exploit, but it has always worked well for me.

I don't see how is it an exploit! Those guys are English not British. And there was a well attested Norse colonization of the periphery of modern Scotland.

Many things changed since 2016. Does the Compass work the same way for Vikings now?

Civ4ScreenShot0038.JPG

So, it is officially possible to win as Vikings without Compass with 600 AD start, which is harder than 3000 BC (no Barbarian cities to pillage), but more predictable. Settle core in Sweden, Norway and Denmark. Whip Theater and Weaver in Kalmar (very good city, can work 2 Fishes, better than Stockholm, plus your Empire will be called Kalmar union, how can you play without namesake city :) ?). Hire Artists there. Initial units go to Mediterranean to capture Alexandria (free UB in all your cities until Compass, which you never need) and later Rome. Make some cash harassing Muslims -- Arabs and Moors. Byzantium is pretty strong, but Coliseum in Roma helps to train many units fast. Conquest civic together with Viking UP will produce lots of gold if you capture big cities ( I got 250 for London and 350 for Paris). Unlike @Fresol I enjoyed pillaging for fun, historicity and actual cash -- 40-50 gold for each pillage is not something I would neglect. Once Great Artist is born in Kalmar -- settle Ireland (Armagh) and culture bomb it. Unfortunately that's the entire intrigue -- settling Iceland, popping borders and going to Vinland is very straightforward. Because I enjoy my UB automatically appearing in every city I acquire -- I only discovered Compass after Alexandria flipped to Egypt. In this game I was pretty slow about invading England, waiting for English to settle and develop their land so that I can pillage it. I only needed to fight English and French and a little Byzantines to win, no visiting Aztecs (you don't get conquerors if you meet them too early). So both virtual and actual victory had to wait until 1290, but I still earned laurels of Augustus Cesar! :viking:
Civ4ScreenShot0039.JPG

Last edited:
I see people have rediscovered @AnotherPacifist's trick for medieval Viking colonies! Goes all the way back to the original Rhye's and Fall of Civilization

I miss that guy! He would be pleasantly surprised to see how much mod has evolved. Maybe even attempt another Conquest game...

Does the liberate cities trick he used even work in DoC? Though, I bet you could do it as Mongolia really easily now. Maybe I should attempt that instead of another Jewish URV

Wait, so how does the culture bomb in Iceland help? Is it like the Polynesians where you can move through ocean of your culture? Is that an Iceland/Viking only thing?

I think even unmodded Civ4 allows you to send Galleys through ocean tiles you control culturally

Wait, so how does the culture bomb in Iceland help? Is it like the Polynesians where you can move through ocean of your culture? Is that an Iceland/Viking only thing?

Ireland, not Iceland. Empty Ocean tiles above Ireland take eons to convert to your culture, but Icelandic Whale gets Viking culture on that Ocean tile with the first cultural expansion (takes 1 turn with 100% culture). Polynesian UP makes them immune from Oceans resisting your culture penalties. And yes any civ's coast only ship can move on Ocean tile claimed by your culture.

Top Bottom