• No, it's not worth it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Add in some other civ.

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, as you may know, I made a Viking mod for the game - a pretty good mod, I dare say - but it didn't quite work: people said the game froze in the foreign advisor screen.

I made the Vikings militaristic and commercial (same as the Romans), and, if I remember correctly, gave them the Longship with the following specs:
2.1.3 with the same amount of shields required as the Galley.

I really want the Vikings, I always chose to play the vikings in Civ2, and always made them as Custom civ in civ I, so this was what I missed most in CIV3, almost so mutch It made me cry.

Vikings were very important trough history.

The colonized big parts of the world..like for example england.
Cities like for example York was founded by Vikings, so in a way we wouldnt have New York if it hadnt been for the Vikings :),atleast not the name.

They were the first to discover America (not colombus), Leiv Eirkson.
And his father Eirik den Raude discovered Greenland.

Vikings ruled the seas...

Anyways, I really want the Vikings back in the game, so if you decide to make it I'll be forever greatfull!!

:)

VIKINGS ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

Check my reply to "new civilization" for my ideas about it

VIKINGS ALL THE WAY

The Vikings are a great choice. . . . . but there are other very good ones too.

For Example:

- Hebrews / Jews / Israelies with the city of Jerusalem and possible leader choices would be Moses, David, or Solomon

-The Bysitine Empire with Justine as the leader and Constantinople as the capitle

-the Incas

-the Turks

-The Arabs

-the Spanish

-the Monguls

-the Celts

And Im sure there are other good candidates.

Wonderful idea...

I think that adding the Vikings to the game would be great. They are one of those cultures which would be interesting to play, like the Germans.

However, I think that the Spanish and the Byzantine empire would be the most important to add.

The Spanish unique unit would be the Conquistador, and the Byzantine unique unit would be the Cataphract.

Just a thought...

Another idea...

The Jews would be interesting to add to the game also. Later in the game, they can recieve resistance and problems from Germany which would add to the historical depth of the game.

As I have written in some other thread, they could also have Berseker unit 5.1.1. (perhaps a bit drastical, but it would be fun to try. Could get a bit unbalanced:)

Phantis, I wouldn't like that too much (I think) because such things would bind the game more, I like the way Civ lets you alter history, stake a new path. Germany's recession was a major factor in the hatred of Jews.

I think that would be unbalanced, yes. I prefer the longboat idea. The longboat made the Vikings the Vikings (besides their courage and craziness).

But it's nice to see so many people interested in a Viking mod. I'm not so patient with this editing business. Couldn't someone make a mod that actually works (unlike mine)?

I believe the Vikings should have a amphibious beserker unit (3(or 4).1.1 with ampibious assult ability) as UU.

This would not only (more or less) realisticly describe the classic viking raid strategy og using the flatbottomed longboats to sail quickly all the way to a settlement and make a surprice raid; moreover it would add some new and interesting possiblities to the game.

New Civ: Vikings or Norsemen or maybe Swedes
(Militaristic, Commercial or Expasionist)
UU: Longship - Repalce Gally 2/1/4
or Norseman - Replace Swordsman 4/2/1 Ampibious Assult

Disagre that Trondheim, wasn't that important, should be the Viking capital and Stockholm didn't even excist then, nor did Copenhagen.

Birka or Hedeby would be the best choices. Visby on Gotland is another good choice, it was one of the richest and most powerful Baltic Sea cities of that time. Helsingfors (Helsinki) isn't a good choice either, it didn't even excist back then and the Finns and the Tavast people were, to say it nicely, very... barbaric. :rolleyes:

The Vikings could have a Longboat (1/1/4) that could travel safely on both coastal and sea squares. Longboats weren't much of Battleships so the attack factor of one is more than sufficient. Replaces Trireme of course.

Another good Viking unit is of course the Berserk (Swordsman). Kudos to the one who suggested it to be amphibious. I'm with him! :goodjob:

I'd go for Militaristic & Commercial. But Religious or Expansionistic could replace one of 'em easily.

Originally posted by thealien_83
Well, if not the Vikings then the Swedes. Looking further on into history after the vikings receded from the global picture I would dare say that us Swedes made up the most "important" ( Civ-wise ) nation in Scandinavia for sure.

You've got to be joking! :o How can you possibly justify the Swedes being the most important nation in Scandinavia? Your history is nothing but wasfare against your neighbours, most notably us. The "purification" of Skåne/Scania was worse than what the Serbs have done in the former Yogoslavia!

Originally posted by Harleqin

You've got to be joking! :o How can you possibly justify the Swedes being the most important nation in Scandinavia? Your history is nothing but wasfare against your neighbours, most notably us. The "purification" of Skåne/Scania was worse than what the Serbs have done in the former Yogoslavia!

YOU got to be kidding. Take a look at Scandinavia. Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland. Norway, a nation rich of oil and natural assetts, but has not made any real impact on the world. It was for a long time a part of Denmark and Sweden. Finland then? Same thing there, an old region, which has been a part of both Russia and Sweden. Many of the important finnish cities has names after swedes (Wasa, for instance.)

And left we have - Denmark and Sweden. Denmark is a tiny nation, with only 4 million people and has not made a very big impact in the history. Except for starting wars against Sweden, but hey, that didn't count for nothing, remember?

And Sweden then? Biggest areal and with largest population in Scandinavia. The first modern war ship, the Monitor, was constructed by a swede. Important industrial components such as the bearing and the spanner are swedish inventions. Dynamite is an other important swedish invention, the modern type of matches was made by the swede Ivar Kreuger. In 16th century, Carl von Linné organised, re-named many of the worlds plants to a latin-based system and his ideas is still used today in modern research.

What has Denmark contributed to world history? Stockholms Blodbad? ("The Blood Bath of Stockholm") :p Where Christian Tyranns men carried out a extensive massacre, where lots of people got decapitated - brutally murdered, to insure that power of Stockholm and Sweden was in the hands of the king of Denmark.

Originally posted by cafka

And left we have - Denmark and Sweden. Denmark is a tiny nation, with only 4 million people and has not made a very big impact in the history. Except for starting wars against Sweden, but hey, that didn't count for nothing, remember?

5,25 million people. Both Denmark and Sweden had great expansion in the age of the Vikings. Sweden in Russia, Denmark conquering England.

And Sweden then? Biggest areal and with largest population in Scandinavia. The first modern war ship, the Monitor, was constructed by a swede. Important industrial components such as the bearing and the spanner are swedish inventions. Dynamite is an other important swedish invention, the modern type of matches was made by the swede Ivar Kreuger. In 16th century, Carl von Linné organised, re-named many of the worlds plants to a latin-based system and his ideas is still used today in modern research.

Niels Bohr, Nobel price winner in psysics, father of the atom. I'm not so much into technology, so that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

What has Denmark contributed to world history? Stockholms Blodbad? ("The Blood Bath of Stockholm") :p Where Christian Tyranns men carried out a extensive massacre, where lots of people got decapitated - brutally murdered, to insure that power of Stockholm and Sweden was in the hands of the king of Denmark.

The bloodbath was a disgrace, yes. Norway was never rightfully Swedish. You also seem to forget the atrocities carried out be Swedes in primarily Skåne, but also Halland and Blekinge. The Danish freedom fighters were ruthlessly sought out. Whole counties were depopulated, men between 16 and 60 were killed. Farmer from the north of Sweden were moved to the region to make it Swedish, the Danish language was forbidden and books burned. Try reading Uno Röndahls "Skåneland uden förskoning". The last massacre on Danes took place in 1811 in Klågerup. The schools in Skåne are forced to teach Swedish history from a period where the lands were rightfully Danish. Why?

To end it, remember that Skåne is represented in the UN as a nation without a state like Tibet and Kurdistan.

Yeah, off course, I don't justify massacres, violence and war with "you started it!" ;)

All nations has done some real ****, some more and some less, but no one is innocent. However, let's enjoy the fact that we've lived peacefully for centuries in Scandinavia now. :)

Let's end any hostal discussion here about Scandinavia, we're all truly a great part of the greatest peninsula (?) of the world. ;) :goodjob: :king:

We're all scandinavians. :love:

Originally posted by Harleqin
I agree :)

It just hurt my Danish pride to see us being put down like that. Let's go pick on the Americans instead :D

It hurts my little nationalistic feelings too when Sweden gets picked on in these "international discussions". :D

I know where Denmark is but it's difficult to find on the map. :lol: (Just a little joke, no offense intended.)

As much as I'd like to make a Swedish civ (I'm half Swedish), it wouldn't be fair to the rest of Scandinavia. Anyway, making a Viking civ gives us a lot more room for ideas. So, can any of you Vikings make a mod from scratch (mine's not there anymore)?

Top Bottom