1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vikings

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by Jayne, Nov 6, 2002.

?

What do we do with the Vikings?

Poll closed Nov 8, 2002.
  1. A:Send Diplomat NE

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. B:Send Horseman E

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. C:Send Legion E

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. C:Send Legion W

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  5. D:Attack Viking Units

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  6. D:Bribe Viking Units (max $?)

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  7. D:Force Vikings to move E by blocking their path

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  8. E:Attack Viking Cities

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  9. E:Bribe Vikings Cities (max $?)

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  10. Ignore them, we'll deal with them later

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Something else

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

As we have not heard from General CivGeneral for a number of days now (although he is posting on the Civ3 game) I, as deputy, am just posting a quick poll to give our president a bit of an idea of what we want. Apologies to CivGeneral if he is actually present and I've not noticed!

I'll just leave this poll open 2 days. Hopefully our Military Advisor will be back by then

:viking::hammer:

2. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

Bribe cities but I can't give a max amount of money. Just do what seems right. If they ask 250 for a size 1 or 2 city leave it, if they ask 100 go for it I'd say.

3. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

Well I agree on attacking viking units as long as we're at war with them. I don't like having a bad reputation, but I know a lot of people don't care since the AI doesn't.:)

4. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

I guess if we want to attack, we try and force them to declare war by demanding tribute before we move!

5. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

Perhaps some clarification on "move legion W" is in order. Does that mean stationing it on the peninsula? Wouldn't the AI or barbs be more likely to land right next to Roskilde? Keeping the legion at the city wasn't listed as an option.

6. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

I don't remember the map situation well enough to comment on unit movement, but I voted to attack Vik units, to which I would ammend unless they are valuable, such as Legions, then it would be worthwhile to bribe. I wouldn't want to drag down production of our Northern cities by saddling them with unexpected unit support unless the units are really worth having. I suppose it might be possible to get some None units, however. but that might be difficult with Roskilde so close.
    I did vote for bribing Vik cities, however, as this generally gets us more than attacking and depleting their population, IMHO. Again a caveat: If the city is in a really bad location, we may want to attack and attempt to raze it instead of bribing. my .02

7. MonkE

I believe the diplomacy with the AI is smoother when we have a spotless reputation. If an attack situation arises, I'll try to goad them into war.

8. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    After looking through the suggestion that was posted earlyer, I aprove the ssuggested actions :).

CivGeneral stamps the suggestion with his seal of approval

Its ok Jane :). I was just going though a rough time after losing the Domestic Department in the Civ3 Demogame ;).

9. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

That's right. I was thinking that if Indians arrived (or even settled) on the island it could well be up there. Roskilde already has 2 units in it, plus I was doing this quickly knowing that a lot of people (particularly those in Europe who look at this at work) probably won't see the poll before you move.

10. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

Have you looked down the back of the sofa? Or you may have put it in the cupboard under the stairs. ;)

I say that we shouldn't just let the Viking units wander across our territory, but that in each case we should rely on el presidente's discretion whether to put their units to the sword (or arrows) or whether to buy them for future use against their former comrades. I think we should form a longer term attack plan to take the Vikings' port cities and stop them coming over with their darned triremes full of settlers and horsemen.

11. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

The vikings truly are a pain that's why I'm glad we've got a trireme up there now that can explore viking-land. The trireme from Marl Downs will be ready soon (right?) and then we can put a nice big army near any city of theirs we want. :D

I prefer the two triremes to work together, putting 2 archers, a diplo and and a fast attacking unit (horsemen, chariot) on viking soil.

12. Rout

Rout ZZzzzzzz

Civ 1, that trieme might not last the next move if it stays up there, we need to bring it back south.

13. MonkE

There is still plenty of coast to the SE for exploring! :)

14. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I doubt the vikings have many more triremes and if our trireme sails away from their trireme, following the coastline, I doubt their trireme will actually follow ours and try to kill it.
    Anyway, the odds their trireme will sink ours are not overwhelming in their favour...

15. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

This has no basis in the Civ mathematics whatsoever, so feel free to discount it utterly, but in my experience the attacking trireme generally sinks the defending one. Especially if it's mine and has two caravans on! :rant: Er, seriously, they often seem to win by attacking. Don't know why - the rules suggets that 50/50 would be good but no.

Anyway, entirely apart from my experience, I'm pretty certain that the Vikings have the Lighthouse and this makes all of their boats veteran! We're doomed! :(

16. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

You're right duke. The Vikings own The Lighthouse of Trondhiem!

17. Rout

Rout ZZzzzzzz

They are it would seem, and often the AI builds shed-loads of boats it doesn't even need.

18. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Since I rarely use anymore it I may be a bit off, but doesn't the Lighthouse allow triremes to safely move in non coastal seas and also makes all other ships veterans when built?

19. MonkE

According to Civilopedia and Nethog, Lighthouse gives all sea units except triremes +1 movement, but all new sea units built are veterans. Triremes cross open sea safely. Made obsolete upon discovery of Magnetism.