ViSa v3 Multi-Player Bug Report

hey everyone,
for all of you mp players out there,

due to the hard time on fixing mp bugs, and since i dont know when v3 will be compatible with mp,

im proud to say that im currentley working on a mod espesially for an mp game,
im trying to keep the mod simple and small so there wont be any mp bugs or too much mafs.

im focusing on units, and buildings mostley.

ill include around 20-25 nations with 2-4 uus - havnt decided.

around 100 tech - no more.

sdk:
dale stuff
airforce
civics (8 catagories)
flying mod
and speed mod.

so far so good.
i dunno when it will be finished, im going step by step to assure no bugs and much balance between unit classes.

the mod temporary name is visa lite...but i dunno if it wil; stay like that,
if you wanna help, suggest,
plz write my mail add or pm me.
i wont open a thread till its ready.

:)

Hi,

I just want to say that for us ViSa 3.1 works great in MP. The only time we get OOS is when i.e someone lost connection and joined again rightaway. The OOS also appeared when the others went back to the main menu for a reload. But the OOS disappeared after everybody quit the game completely and then restarted it for reloading.

Keep up the good work :goodjob:

Yeah we have mp problems but always find a work around.

OOS go back 1 extra save and then watch to see what causes it. We have had things like a settler creating a city on an island or great statesmen attempting to create peace cause it. We simply go back 1 save/turn further than normal and then DONT DO THAT, lets us keep going.

Also restart every couple of hours. Turn autosave off on everyone's computer but the fastest one. Turn on the memorysave features and low graphics.

p.s. we need some steam powered naval units...

Is there a way to turn on ncsaver for hotseat play. My friend and I got an MAF 125 turns into our game.

Howdy..going back a turn or 2 or 3 or loading diff auto doesnt work here. It seems to only happen on a fresh load, ie after having a break...dunno why. also it doesnt even really desynch here. We can keep playing comfortably, the only thing is we have to play through big red desynch letters in mid screen. I posted my prob in the bug thread, not the MP bug thread as I didnt see this one, sorry.

Howdy again...testing with my MP mate, both visa 3.1, both good comps...continually desynching on loads. Never desynchs from the start of the game on continuous play. We did a test, started a new game, played one day, saved, loaded and automatic desynch msg on day2 (even tho you can continue playing after this, if you dont mind the big red letters :p). Test no.2, he hosts this time, same thing. Great mod guys, would love to play it MP as well if theres the possibility of a fix somewhere down the track.

PS, all versions of civ 4 worked without desynch for us over the last 18 months, as well as warlords. Cheers.

New mod or not from keldath.....we will try to get to a fix in ViSa.

I was well aware of the OOS on loading all MP games before we released the patch, but it isn't something to keep a patch away from all the solo players, sorry.

Also having OOS errors. Reloading fresh helped once. It's a great game and I am definitely enjoying this experience. Thanks for doing all of it!

Ok have been getting lots of OSS with new version. I know its not exclusive to VISA but just thought i would tell you what happens to us. Me and 3 others on LAN experience OSS in every game now. Usually works fine until late in the game and then it starts giving us OSS. This time it happened around 2000 AD. We thought it was related to map size so we bumped the map size down to standard. Which is friggin small. And guess what, still get oss. So I think without a doubt you can say OSS is not related to map size. Too bad, looks like CIV is going on the shelf. It has been more frustrating than it has been fun unfortunately. Good work on VISA though guys, its a great mod, just wish CIV worked so we could play it...

OOS is hard to track....and we first focus on SP games as that really has to be working before fixing MP things.

I believe the ViSa MP issues are confusing because there are multiple unrelated bugs. I learned months ago that the secret to reloading a game is simply making sure all players have the saved game file in their saves folder. (all players join after fresh ViSa/Civ4 reload)

However,
OOS go back 1 extra save and then watch to see what causes it. We have had things like a settler creating a city on an island or great statesmen attempting to create peace cause it. We simply go back 1 save/turn further than normal and then DONT DO THAT, lets us keep going.
is an entirely different bug. The key to avoiding the Gr8 St8sman bug is either do not use them for peace, or make sure that all players know how to recognize the bug:

If Player X uses Gr8 St8sman for peace and Player Y gets Gr8 St8sman dialog box (Player Y did not use Gr8 St8sman, he got dialog box the instant Player X used his Gr8 St8sman due to the bug), then u must reload and avoid using the Gr8 St8sman for peace.

After playing many hours of MP I've concluded that the most important challenge MP ViSa players may need to overcome has more to do with [end of turn processing time in games lasting past the 19th century on maps with 2000+ tiles] than anything else. Using a machine with 3.2ghz/2gb/256mb I find 1600 tile maps more enjoyable (particularly in modern era) than 6000 tile maps, regardless of other factors.

All things considered, I believe MP ViSa is a plausible choice for those with patience and moderate PC skillz (folder navigation, copy/paste, etc), although if your IQ is more than a few points below 120 you may find it difficult to be competitive in an MP ViSa game.

I definitely do not regard MP ViSA as 'broken' or 'not worth playing'. I do regard it as 'not for everyone', and even 'not for most'. I recommend any1 considering it go take 3 IQ tests, and if your average is above 115 put some time into experimenting until you find a set of game parameters that works for you.

Tarkus

Well I sure don't want to place IQ requirements on ViSa.....

But you would think with most of the team being 150+ IQ we would just fix the darn thing..... :lol:

Well I sure don't want to place IQ requirements on ViSa.....

But you would think with most of the team being 150+ IQ we would just fix the darn thing..... :lol:

Surely by now you've noticed that only smart people play ViSa

Tarkus

I believe the ViSa MP issues are confusing because there are multiple unrelated bugs. I learned months ago that the secret to reloading a game is simply making sure all players have the saved game file in their saves folder. (all players join after fresh ViSa/Civ4 reload)

However,

is an entirely different bug. The key to avoiding the Gr8 St8sman bug is either do not use them for peace, or make sure that all players know how to recognize the bug:

If Player X uses Gr8 St8sman for peace and Player Y gets Gr8 St8sman dialog box (Player Y did not use Gr8 St8sman, he got dialog box the instant Player X used his Gr8 St8sman due to the bug), then u must reload and avoid using the Gr8 St8sman for peace.

After playing many hours of MP I've concluded that the most important challenge MP ViSa players may need to overcome has more to do with [end of turn processing time in games lasting past the 19th century on maps with 2000+ tiles] than anything else. Using a machine with 3.2ghz/2gb/256mb I find 1600 tile maps more enjoyable (particularly in modern era) than 6000 tile maps, regardless of other factors.

All things considered, I believe MP ViSa is a plausible choice for those with patience and moderate PC skillz (folder navigation, copy/paste, etc), although if your IQ is more than a few points below 120 you may find it difficult to be competitive in an MP ViSa game.

I definitely do not regard MP ViSA as 'broken' or 'not worth playing'. I do regard it as 'not for everyone', and even 'not for most'. I recommend any1 considering it go take 3 IQ tests, and if your average is above 115 put some time into experimenting until you find a set of game parameters that works for you.

Tarkus

Yeah we figured out the statesmen thing when it happened. I just used it as an example of the types of things that can cause those errors. Trust me when I say me and the guys I play MP with spent tens of hours troubleshooting and trying many different things to get past OSS. Sometimes we could bypass it like with the great statesman thing but sometimes it would happen as soon as we would all load into a game. Nothing helped. TBH at the moment we have quit playing. We are hoping on a fireaxis fix through BTS. But short of that, the game for mp is broken for us. We play till about 2050 and errors start. Thats about 10-20 hours of actual gametime to only have it stop working. But those hours are fun, its just not satisfying to not be able to finish.

We are going to try a netgear router at some point and see if going away from this linksys one matters but needless to say, hopes are not high.

Great mod though guys, if Fireaxis will just get their damn act together...

I think a fresh start from the BTS code will help MP in our new un-named BTS mod.

I don't think we will be fixing any more coding issues for ViSa...v3.20 is just XML and graphics.

Top Bottom