1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Vokarya's Workshop: Buildings

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Vokarya, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

I left out keeping the store 50% food on Farmscraper. I'm keeping that as well; that ability has to be somewhere on every building the Granary chain. The only thing that is getting dropped is the +1 happiness from Charity.

What I don't like is that right now I have flat +10 food, and +6 additional food from Fertilizers, and +20% food from Fertilizers as well. I think +30% from Fertilizers should cover the combination.

Samson likes this.
  2. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

Some Transhuman building proposals that I have been thinking about. I think I could use some better names.

Orbital Observatory
    • Rationale: A Transhuman Era upgrade of the regular Observatory and an extra source of Science.
    • Requirements: Skyroads tech [Orbital Flight is too crowded]; Microchips resource; player must have built Space Program; any player must have built Hubble Space Telescope.
    • Upgrades Observatory.
    • Effects: +16 science (+8 from upgrading Observatory, +8 innate), 1 Scientist slot (from upgrading Observatory)
    Genetics Laboratory 2.0 -- working name Gengineer
    • Rationale: A dovetail building for the Biological Warfare Lab and the Genetics Laboratory, another increase in Science, and a stiffer requirement for certain other requirements.
    • Requirements: Artificial Evolution tech, Research Lab.
    • Upgrades both Genetics Laboratory and Biological Warfare Lab.
    • Effects: +12 science (+8 from upgrading Genetics Laboratory, +4 innate); required to build Plague Bringer, Dinosaur Park.
    Zoo 2.0 -- working name Mutandis Museum (from Civilization II: Test of Time)
    • Rationale: An upgrade to the Zoo, and another requirement for Dinosaur Park.
    • Requirements: Artificial Evolution tech, "Genetics Laboratory 2.0"
    • Upgrades Zoo.
    • Effects: +5 commerce, +3 happiness, 1 Scientist slot (equal to Zoo at maximum); then add probably one more small modifier. Replaces Zoo in the requirements to build Dinosaur Park.
    Art Gallery 2.0 -- working name Imaginarium
    • Rationale: A dovetail building for the Art Gallery and the Museum.
    • Requirements: Invisibility tech (one step up from Holographics, which is already solid), Network Node, access to Power, someone must have built the Internet.
    • Upgrades Art Gallery and Museum.
    • Effects: +4 commerce, +4 happiness (+1 over combined Art Gallery and Museum at max), +20% culture (over Art Gallery's +10% and Museum's +2). That is a minimum.

3. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

• Orbital Observatory
    Space Telescope? - do we have that already? or
    Holoscope? Holo-Observatory? Holobservatory? - I imagine an observatory with holo-rojectors.
    • Genetics Laboratory 2.0 -- working name Gengineer
    I don't like Gangineer at all. Do we really need that building?
    • Zoo 2.0 -- working name Mutandis Museum
    I don't like that name either. Too artificial.
    • Art Gallery 2.0 -- working name Imaginarium
    Nah! Too Clockpunk for my taste (just search google for pictures)

How about combining Library, Zoo, Art Gallery and Museum into one building: Omnibition (Omni-Exhibition; ide after Omnifactory)?

4. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Imaginarium is a very particular word, but it might remind people of that recent film with a similar name. On the other hand, I like the name Gengineer; it's pretty much the accepted name for a professional messer-around-with-genes.

5. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

I could rather imagine Imaginarium as a wonder.
    An other name that comes to mind as a could-be-a-wonder: Wis-dome, as a futuristic super-library. Just in case we want to create one.

6. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

I think Computer Center and Technological Capital between them have the niche of "futuristic super-library" already occupied. The problem with science bonuses is that after a certain point they become superfluous.

7. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

Sure.
    How about a more edducation themed wonder?
    • Requires X Universities.
    • +1 :) per 10% :culture:
    • +1 :) per 10% :science:
    • a free Great Scientist
    • a free Great Artist

8. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

The two questions that I find myself asking with regards to buildings are "How long should a building last?" and "When is a building requirement meaningful?"

I think most buildings should be part of some kind of upgrade path unless there's a solid reason not to. I prefer upgrades over direct obsoleting because that doesn't slam the player in the face. You still benefit from the old building until you get around to building the new one. I also don't think most buildings pre-Renaissance should be sticking around all the way to the end game. In BTS, most buildings are one-and-done, but I think AND can push that.

I've managed to weed out most of the buildings from the Ancient/Classical/Medieval eras that weren't part of some kind of upgrade chain. Religious buildings and civic buildings I can leave alone. Civic buildings are tied up with their civic, so as you switch to more advanced civics, the older civic buildings go effectively obsolete and if you don't switch, then you don't get the new civic buildings. There are a couple changes I do want to make.
    • Brothel: Obsolete with Androids. From a purely mechanical standpoint, this knocks off a point of Happiness that is unnecessary with the presence of so many other happiness sources.
    • Jewellery: This should be part of the Omnifactory chain as well. Currently, the Omnifactory provides +50% commerce, upgrading +10% each from Nanofactory and Oil Refinery and an additional +5-17 depending on resources from Textile Mill. I think rolling in Jewellery's +10% gold and +3-7 commerce from resources should be okay, and if anyone can show a commerce drop, Omnifactory's commerce can be pushed up.
    After that, the only other pre-Renaissance/non-religious/non-civic building left standing is the Courthouse.

As far as meaningful requirements go, once I start seeing a gap of over an era between the prerequisite building and the thing it unlocks, then I start to think that the requirement isn't enough of a hindrance. For example, the Biological Warfare Lab is available early in the Modern Era. The Plague Bringer comes late in the Transhuman Era. That's a big enough gap that for this particular unit that I think a new building should be necessary -- thus the idea for the Gengineer. I see the same gap with the Zoo being a requirement for Dinosaur Park. Zoo is mid-Industrial; that's two eras difference. I can make exceptions if there is an additional risk: for example, the Warhead Factory comes with a nuclear meltdown chance. That's significant enough that I don't think we need an additional building for Transhuman nukes like the Peace Maker.

9. thegreekweegee

thegreekweegee Chieftain

I'm a bit late, but instead of Gengineer, you could use Transgenics Facility.

In Deus Ex, transgenics were organisms created completely artificially, such as Greasels, Karkians, and Greys.

10. Arakhor

That name is also significantly longer. :(

11. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

--> Transgene Lab, and than use the long name in the pedia description.

Zoo: I think the best upgrade for it would be Paradise Garden. They have a similar theme.

12. Arakhor

Gengineer is still a snappy name though.

13. Tyler #18

Tyler #18 Chieftain

Hi, I was wondering if any change was made to the military academy, seems that it is not applying its production bonus (in modern era at least). Is it as intended (maybe some tech made it obsolete) or am i missing something?

14. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

It has no obsolete tech, provides +50% production bonus to military units only.
    You can try recalc (CTRL+ALT+T). If that doesn't solve anything post a save file.

15. Tyler #18

Tyler #18 Chieftain

I'll try to recalc and eventually post a save! Tnx!

16. Tyler #18

Tyler #18 Chieftain

Ok i got it. In the city screen it was shown just a +45% bonus from buildings but it's because I also have a - 5% applied

17. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

I had to look at this idea, but I think it's worth doing. The only problem is whether we need to anything about the Science Victory. Paradise Garden is the prerequisite for the Ascension Gate that triggers the victory. If it's going to do everything that I want it to do as well be a Zoo upgrade, that means the Garden needs to be moved back to Artificial Life. Moving the Garden backwards without changing the Gate requirements means the Garden becomes less meaningful as a victory prerequisite. But I don't really know what other conditions the Science Victory should have.