1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Vokarya's Workshop: Units

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Vokarya, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Rezca

Rezca The Greatest Jaggi

I actually find it fun even in the later portions of the game. Gives me something to do when not at war, and my enjoyment in building and creating is fulfilled. What I don't find fun however is managing all those aircraft missions once war is declared :crazyeye:

2. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

I spent some time ripping out Aristocracy and Cavalry Tactics from the tech tree and I noticed something regarding the Conquistador. With Cuirassier moving up to Flintlock, that drags Conquistador along with it. I don't think this is good for player expectations. By the time the player hits Navigation/Colonialism, lifts the movement range limit, and can sail to other continents, I think there is a reasonable expectation of being able to train up Conquistadors and go conquering, but that wouldn't be possible.

I know one proposal has been to make Conquistador an Adventurer replacement, but I have a better idea. I think Conquistador should be a Dragoon replacement. Dragoons will be available at Matchlock, which is almost exactly where you would expect them to be. Dragoons are also one of the most powerful units available at that point on the tech tree; only Elephant Bombardier is even as strong. If necessary, we can hack Dragoon down to 16 strength.

For Unique Unit abilities, the base Conquistador is a Cuirassier with:
    • +50% vs. Melee
    • Does not have Doesn't Receive Defensive Bonuses
    Dragoon already has both of these abilities. All gunpowder cavalry gets +50% vs. Melee, and Dragoon is 25.5 strength (base 17, +50% vs. Melee) against Heavy Pikeman's 13.5 (base 9, +50% vs. mounted) is already pretty overwhelming. So instead, I think these two abilities would be better:
    • Ignores Terrain Movement Costs
    • Does not have -25% City Attack
    This makes Conquistadors a very flexible unit, capable of handling attack, defense, or scouting duties. About the only thing it couldn't handle is attacking a fortified city without siege backup.

3. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

Here is a question I have. Crossbowman requires Iron in BTS. It does not in AND. I'm wondering if that requirement should be restored. It was removed in RoM 0.9.3.

From a purely gamist perspective, I think the purpose of strategic resources is to encourage exploration and trade as a check to offensive military action. Without resources, you can continue to build defensive units (like Archer and Longbowman) but not offensive units like cavalry or heavy melee. Thematically, putting Iron back on Crossbowman reinforces the "Iron Age" transition in the Medieval Era; the heavy units start out requiring Obsidian OR Copper OR Iron, then shifting to Copper OR Iron, and then dropping the Copper option to making Iron mandatory, such as Swordsman and Knight. Less-powerful units like the Maceman could stay at the Copper/Iron threshold.

Is Crossbowman enough of a "power unit" to need this check?

4. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Chieftain

I don't think it's necessary.

5. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Chieftain

I'm not sure either, I've always thought to crossbowmen as defensive units.

6. Vokarya

Vokarya Chieftain

I think Crossbows are more of a "counter" unit like Macemen or Pikemen. They have resource requirements, so why shouldn't Crossbowmen as well? Longbowmen fill the "defensive core with no requirements" niche already, and I don't think we need two of those.

7. Pepo

Pepo Chieftain

I don't really think it will change much if you make then require iron, longbowmen can be used perfectly for defense.
    However what I think is needed is some better balance to medieval and ancient warfare; specifically: 1) instead of adding extra strength to archers, make a new strength 5 composite bowmen for the classical period. The problem is that updating strengths doesn't mean updating the cost, so archers end up being the most cost effective unit .2) spearmen line of units are too weak. I can see why it was decided to change from 100% to 50% against mounted, but right now cavalry will stomp them in the open thanks to the 25% on attack in open fields. Also more for historical reasons I would switch places between the pikemen and the heavy spearmen and give the pikemen some anti-melee bonuses, and make it an early Renaissance unit, to simulated the pike&shot of the 16th-17th century.3)UU have some weird balance between then, some being always superior than others, although it may be due to the extra civs module

Also completely unrelated, but could the fast battleship upgrade to the littoral combat ship? Currently it needs to wait a lot until fusion battleship