Waging fast wars

zoiks

Chieftain
I've seen it said that wars need to be quick and decisive. Mine are anything but. I take one or maybe two cities, but then I'm plodding.

Other than waiting for cuirassiers, what can be done to finish a war quickly?

On immortal level. Large stack and whip units getting OF from whips which max out 30H. In effect you could whip 1 unit and almost complete another. Same for chops mixed with whips. If you don't whip or chop away forest you will never do well in warfare.

HA rush normally 10-11 cuirs. Take down capital and keep whipping units. Maybe barracks? Make sure you are ready to go by 1000bc. Ideally 3-4 cities. Writing before HBR is a tough call based on map.

With cuirs whip 20 or so and just take down the AI. Normally start whipping 1000ad or before. Ideally 6-8 cities. I sometiemns start with 15-20 by that date.

Phants same principle applies. If you beeline them maybe 4-5 cities. Mix catapults with phants. Maybe 1-2 turns reducing defences then see odds. If you are not whipping or chopping building an army will take forver. I can have a stack of 10 phants and 10 pults. Ideally suicide 1-2 pults to save elephants in combat. 1-2 axes in stack can help.

When you start a war try to pillage the AI metal or horse resources. My guess is you expand too slowly at start and maybe delayed to key techs. 4 cities by 2000bc is a norm for me,

Very hard to say without seeing a few saves. You can see how Lain does it in his videos...

One simple tip. Use a great general to create a ‘super medic’. This dramatically speeds up healing time allowing you to conquer more quickly.

Last edited:
Wage your first war in the era of axes and chariots to eradicate a nearby rival and seize what will likely be a strong capital city. In this era, they should have only 2 or 3 cities, so the war will be short by default and net you land to grow and jump to a good lead. Avoid protective AI’s or AI’s with special bows.

Work toward the tech that lets you vassalize other Civ’s. While doing so, stick to limited-objective wars focused on defense or securing key resources, like if your land has no iron, but a nearby AI is sitting on a mine. Just grab what you need and no more as your economy grows.

Once you can vassalize enemies, you can start rolling to victory with a string of short wars. Capture just enough cities to make the AI capitulate, keep the best cities, gift back the rest, and you’ll begin to roll. You’ll soon hit a point where capturing 1 or 2 cities is enough to make an AI capitulate. Try to stick to one enemy at a time, as it’s harder or impossible to vassalize AI’s when you’re at war with too many of them. Wars become much shorter when you’re fighting to the point of AI capitulation instead of capturing every single city.

One simple tip. Use a great general to create a ‘super medic’. This dramatically speeds up healing time allowing you to conquer more quickly
Another tip would be to choose the time to heal wisely. You do need some guys at full health, but many are there just to mop up and definitely don't need to be fully healed. I'd say super medics are a bit overrated even.

I've seen it said that wars need to be quick and decisive. Mine are anything but. I take one or maybe two cities, but then I'm plodding.

Other than waiting for cuirassiers, what can be done to finish a war quickly?

What difficulty are you playing on, and what era are you trying to wage your war in? I like to go for victory during one era, ideally, and it's usually around rifles/cav.

It's about unit mass. Build more units before you wage war,
Then you don't have to stop and go (giving them time to produce),
You just keep going.

There are some thumbrule numbers that depend on Difficulty level and Era (10 active units on Immortal, 15 on Deity, not considering late game). If you use siege, they probably should be doubled.

Scout first. Intel is king. Act accordingly.

It's about unit mass. Build more units before you wage war,
Then you don't have to stop and go (giving them time to produce),
You just keep going.

There are some thumbrule numbers that depend on Difficulty level and Era (10 active units on Immortal, 15 on Deity, not considering late game). If you use siege, they probably should be doubled.

Scout first. Intel is king. Act accordingly.

What do you mean by "they probably should be doubled?" The total active stack attacking units? The number of siege?

What do you mean by "they probably should be doubled?" The total active stack attacking units? The number of siege?
Let's consider horse archers.
On Immortal, an active stack of 10 units would allow you to wage war efficiently. On Deity, it might rather be 15 active units.
Well, if you use siege, you should at least be doing something like 8 cats + 7 attacking units (Immortal). At least... Odds are you're going to double the numbers.
Otherwise, you'll lose in speed.

Since siege units don't actually kill (and you need a healthy 8+ of them), the size of your stack is likely to be doubled if you use siege.

Top Bottom