Waiting for a patch...

Hope it will be heavily focused on building a decent AI and improving the UI.
The current AI looks like they spent one hour coding it, I mean it can't do anything, I don't know why the AI coders would suddenly get their **** together now after release and do a somewhat decent job. If they know how to then why hasn't something been done already?

The current AI looks like they spent one hour coding it, I mean it can't do anything

Your mileage might vary but, while not flawless, the AI has proven capable enough in my games to not hindrance my enjoyment of the game.

I'm sure the AI team has done their best and will continue to improve the game thanks to those that are posting their experiences, problems and feedback.

The current AI looks like they spent one hour coding it, I mean it can't do anything, I don't know why the AI coders would suddenly get their **** together now after release and do a somewhat decent job. If they know how to then why hasn't something been done already?
They could maybe implement some workarounds. For instance, they could set a limit for missionaries/apostles the AI can own at once, or a limit for warriors and horsemen, coupled with the ability to upgrade units without strategic ressources. Those would not be proper AI fixes, but it would certainly help making the AI seem less ridiculous.

They could also easily fix the bizarre diplomacy with a few changes: No early wars by leaders with peaceful agendas, no denouncing civs that fight a war against their enemies, etc.

Oh, and they could tell the AI to pillage tiles when they have units in enemy territory.

All of this should not be that hard to implement.

They could also easily fix ...

All of this should not be that hard to implement.
That's why it is so stunning that they didn't implement in in whatever many years the game has been in development

Warriors has to cost 1 gold maintaince and conscription has to be moved out of the ancient era so that you can't have maintaince free units from the current era

I'm intrigued as to what qualifies you to make such assertions.

I'm intrigued as to what qualifies you to make such assertions.
I'm intrigues as to why you think I need to have a masters degree in artificial intelligence in order to criticise something that doesn't work, when I paid money for it

Honestly they might as well have the AI just do random actions and the result would probably be less messy than now

Honestly they might as well have the AI just do random actions and the result would probably be less messy than now

Ok, I am very curious to understand what in the world happened in your games that justifies such a bold claim.

Care to elaborate criZp? You might have come across bugs that the rest of us have yet to experience.

You guys realize that not everything is meant literally?

Not sure how to interpret that, criZp. Are you telling us not to take your comments seriously then?

The current AI looks like they spent one hour coding it, I mean it can't do anything,

Your mileage might vary but, while not flawless, the AI has proven capable enough in my games to not hindrance my enjoyment of the game.

The AI can do stuff, but seems to break easily. In the few games I have played so far I've seen it act competently and totally idiotic.
What actually diminishes my enjoyment is the mindless aggression against city states and the Agenda implementation. No Cleo, my army is not weak, I've just won a war against Harald who's Warriors and Longships greatly outnumber my Caravels and Musketmen.

IF they don't fix the warmonger penalties at the upcoming patch i give up on this game.

Off topic: It seems Cleo is only interested in land units, just like Harald is only interested in naval ones.

Off Topic: I have noticed that as well. I usually play island maps so I am focusing on a very powerful navy. So despite having a ludicrous amount of cruisers, she still calls my army weak (having 1 rocket artillery sitting in each city but also guarded by several missile cruisers). So you are probably right that its land only.

Back On Topic: I would definitely love to see a patch for the AI, more specifically for the ridiculous surge of religious units they throw around on the map. I know you can just as easily go to war with them and mow them down with military units, but its difficult when you want to avoid resorting to such.

Another nice patch would be to make it so you can harvest the strategic and luxury resources (modded this in until they patch it). As you progress through the game, some strategic resources become obsolete as you advance through the eras, so the likes of iron, niter, coal and horses are just left sitting there not being very useful in post-information era. Luxuries, If you have a load of the same one in one spot or if they're in the way of building a district or wonder, would be convenient, and a small gold boost for harvesting it as well.

I do really hope they get a patch out quickly to at least get the AI upgrading it's units. It's no fun having infantry and artillery when they still have crossbowman, warriors and catapults.

You guys realize that not everything is meant literally?

If anyone make an AI mod for the game they could call it dumb intelligence, because it would be a step up from no intelligence

The apologetics on this forum is out of control. You confront someone with evidence about something lacking in the game and members here will swarm over themselves to give excuses and explanations as to why it's at it is. It would be entertaining, if not pretty sad.

The AI is never going to be great. There is very little incentive for Firaxis to dedicate those resources in that way. They are a game company. Pride of craftsmanship only goes so far. At some point, you have to recognize that spending a million+ dollars (three to five person team for three years) on a feature that will not substantially increase sales or even be noticed by most of your players is bad business. We who come to fan sites and break apart games for exploits are a small minority of gamers. Take a look at the achievement stats for an idea of how differently we approach the game. Note that you can earn achievements while using mods. Less than 1% have the Scythian Horse Rush. Only 18% have won a game at all. Put a city under siege is at 32%, and found or conquer a city on another continent is at 55%.

We, the folks who learn systems and bend them to the breaking point, are not the target audience. It's not a profitable audience to target. It is also an audience that has proven itself, time and again, willing to mod what they want into a game, no matter how difficult that modding is. We did it with Civ IV (Rhye's and Fall, Fall from Heaven), we did it in Civ V (Vox Populi, Super Power, Enlightenment Era, and more), we'll do it in Civ VI. The mod scene is already hard at work picking apart what they can and transferring what was learned of Civ V into modding Civ VI.

Firaxis has promised better modding support, better modding tools, and access to important code resources in the very near future. If they can follow through on this, it is the best thing that can happen to our audience. It is also an investment that pays off, judging by other games that invest in their modding scene. It's certainly going to earn them more sales than a high-quality AI, and it is far cheaper to develop.

Another nice patch would be to make it so you can harvest the strategic and luxury resources (modded this in until they patch it). As you progress through the game, some strategic resources become obsolete as you advance through the eras, so the likes of iron, niter, coal and horses are just left sitting there not being very useful in post-information era. Luxuries, If you have a load of the same one in one spot or if they're in the way of building a district or wonder, would be convenient, and a small gold boost for harvesting it as well.
OT: Have you published this anywhere? I was thinking of doing the same today, and would love to just use yours instead ;-)

IF they don't fix the warmonger penalties at the upcoming patch i give up on this game.

War monger penalties will be easily modded. I wouldn't worry too much about them. I agree they need to fix them but don't give up on the game over such an easy to change feature.

Top Bottom