[TUTORIAL] Want to play MP.

Soulinor

Chieftain
This post itself is not a tutorial to play, but a request for a tutorial that unfortunately did not find. I would like to know what program os config peoples are using to play multiplayer.

PS:
Spoiler :

Thunderbrd

I did not forget to answer the post about CTD, but I've been ultra busy during this time that I unfortunately did not allow me to answer.
You had recommended me to open the map editor and erase all the barbarians to try to avoid the CTD, I did not find a way to delete only the units and ended up deleting the entire barbarian races (my game was permanently without animals and barbarians), so So far I have not had any other CTD.

When I logged in today I realized that I received an alert, but since I was a long time away I ended up not reading (when I tried the alert it was not there anymore). Would you have some kind of access to the data on the page to tell me what I did wrong?

Last edited:
Would you have some kind of access to the data on the page to tell me what I did wrong?
Maybe I'm unclear on what you're asking exactly but probably not.

Are you trying to play on a local lan connection or online?

Maybe I'm unclear on what you're asking exactly but probably not.

Are you trying to play on a local lan connection or online?
My mistake, on entering now I realized that you get alerted whenever you are marked on something. I thought it was the same as the loverslab, where you are only alerted if any moderator caught you breaking the rules.

I'm trying to emulate the lan system, ie play online using the lan function as it is done in the programs: Garena; Evolve; Gameranger; Hamachi; etc...

I did not forget to answer the post about the problem I was having about CTC, but I was ultra busy this time and infezlimente I could not answer.

A portuguese or spanish speaking member (or maybe another latin language I'm unaware of that has this word too)? Hello there!

I can't help you, but I'm interested in the answer. That's how I used to play MP long ago, before restricting myself to PBEM because of OOS problems.

If you're trying to play LAN, use the direct IP connection. You have to look up your IP on your connection settings to have the players that are joining in connect to the player that forms the game.

OOS Errors are minimal if you follow some basic rules. These can be found discussed on the Multiplayer bug threads, probably more on the ones that are just a little out of date for v37 than the current one, but it still mostly applies. Review those threads and see if it helps.

A portuguese or spanish speaking member (or maybe another latin language I'm unaware of that has this word too)? Hello there!

I can't help you, but I'm interested in the answer. That's how I used to play MP long ago, before restricting myself to PBEM because of OOS problems.

You're right, I'm Brazilian, and as such I speak Portuguese. The word "Infelizmente" which means unfortunately was typed wrong, which generated the inability to be translated automatically. I will edit the post above so that it can be understood.

If you're trying to play LAN, use the direct IP connection. You have to look up your IP on your connection settings to have the players that are joining in connect to the player that forms the game.

OOS Errors are minimal if you follow some basic rules. These can be found discussed on the Multiplayer bug threads, probably more on the ones that are just a little out of date for v37 than the current one, but it still mostly applies. Review those threads and see if it helps.
I want to play online, emulating the LAN type connection is usually the easiest way to do this.

I want to play online, emulating the LAN type connection is usually the easiest way to do this.
From what I understand, that's called Pitboss and I have no idea how to set it up so that it runs without error.

I'm sure you already told me that TBrd, but I forgot, where is this info? Is it only on that thread about OOSs someone asked long ago? I follow that thread BTW, but I haven't checked it in ages.

You're right, I'm Brazilian, and as such I speak Portuguese. The word "Infelizmente" which means unfortunately was typed wrong, which generated the inability to be translated automatically. I will edit the post above so that it can be understood.

Greetings from Brazil too! As you may see on my Avatar info, I'm also from Brazil. Olá amigo[a]!

From what I understand, that's called Pitboss and I have no idea how to set it up so that it runs without error.

Emulating LAN connection is the same as playing in LAN or Direct IP (through an ip inside your LAN). I've always used Hamachi to do that, for at least 10 years already. Pitboss is a mode where one machine hosts the game and doesn't play it, and players join this game to make their turns. Turns have a preset time for them, usually a day, so players have to join once a day to make their turns. The mode is interesting, and is a faster approach to a crowded MP then PBEM, and more reliable then a normal MP. It's a shame C2C still doesn't work in Pitboss.

@Soulinor
If you wish me to answer you in portuguese, just tell me and I'll do it. For now though let's keep it in english: TBrds answer to you is what you seek. To play in LAN you should use the Direct IP option because CIV comes from a time when LAN lobbys were full of bugs. Warcraft III had the same issues, and Age of Empires II too. Sometimes the lobby doesn't account for people connected to you, but a Direct IP usually works when the LAN lobby doesn't. Especially when emulating LAN through softwares like Hamachi.

In the case of Hamachi (and I believe all others do exactly like this), it creates a connection which simulates a LAN, and as such gives each member an IP code, which is usually called IPv4 (there's also an IPv6 which is useless here). On these softwares you must create a channel in which both you and any other player wanting to play through the internet must join (in Hamachi the maximum number of people in a channel is 5, unless you start to pay Hamachi to get more resources from the software).

After you and any others are in the same channel on your emulated LAN software, the one who creates the game has to share his IPv4 with the others so they can go to CIV -> Multiplayer -> Direct IP and type his IPv4. If everything is set correctly, all will join the game and everything is working. But be cautious! You must get the host's IPv4 on the emulated LAN! If you use the Command Prompt and type 'ipconfig' you'll get all IPs for the computer, and there are usually more then one IPv4. You must get the one associated with your emulated LAN. In hamachi you can right click on the host's name in the channel and select 'copy IPv4'.

To end this, many times this approach will result in errors. The software may be in different versions on each machine, or it may be experiencing bugs that only a reinstall can resolve. Sometimes Firewalls can block it too. Opening the software as Administrator may make a difference as well. But don't worry, solving all these usually makes it work. It's reliable to an extent, but many small things make it not work. I hope this helps!

Every time we do a new release we create a new thread for MP bugs and crashes in the bugs and crashes section. We keep only the current version's stickied. You'll have to go back through the pages in the bugs and crashes subforum to find the old Multiplayer bugs and crashes threads to find the posts where that's discussed.

Again i am late(to many things to do).

Our friend @Spirictum explained perfectly, Hamachi is the most basic program to create this type of connection, but it is very unstable and limited. In the case of civilization (4 and 5) I use Evolve, and in the particular case of 4 without the mod C2C it is also possible to use the Gameranger. By knowing these programs that have a greater stability, I came to ask how you do to play, in the hope of knowing a new way and finding C2C players to play with me.

PS: Eae mano, não precisa se preocupar com isso, eu já estou acostumado com forums em ingles, e facilita pros demais entenderem o que estamos discutindo, eu vi sua nacionalidade no post pra ajudarmos os mods, eu imaginei que como não possuo tempo ou experiencia com mod eu poderia ajudar ao menos no desenvolvimento do Brasil como civilização aqui, mas como você já estava ajudando vi que não precisava.

Again i am late(to many things to do).

Our friend @Spirictum explained perfectly, Hamachi is the most basic program to create this type of connection, but it is very unstable and limited. In the case of civilization (4 and 5) I use Evolve, and in the particular case of 4 without the mod C2C it is also possible to use the Gameranger. By knowing these programs that have a greater stability, I came to ask how you do to play, in the hope of knowing a new way and finding C2C players to play with me.

PS: Eae mano, não precisa se preocupar com isso, eu já estou acostumado com forums em ingles, e facilita pros demais entenderem o que estamos discutindo, eu vi sua nacionalidade no post pra ajudarmos os mods, eu imaginei que como não possuo tempo ou experiencia com mod eu poderia ajudar ao menos no desenvolvimento do Brasil como civilização aqui, mas como você já estava ajudando vi que não precisava.

We actually play by email (PBEM), which has no other requirements besides downloading the savegame, playing it as if it were a single player game, and then sending your savegame to the next in line. We do this using TortoiseSVN so we just have to update the associated folder when it's time for us to play, and commit our savegames later so the others can play their turns. It simply kills most problems related to MP like Lan Lobby malfuntion, Firewalls, Lan emulating software problems, OOS (Out of Sync). But this way we must wait for everyone to take their turns, and usually this takes from a day to a week depending on many factors.

Answering your PS (english comes on spoilers):
Beleza! Acho ótimo que você tenha interesse em ajudar o mod, seja muito bem vindo! Eu comecei a ajudar não faz tanto tempo, bem menos do que os que jogam comigo aqui no subforum de multiplayer. Mas na real eu to mais na área de programar o jogo e suas mecânicas em si (C++). Pra ajudar a definir as características de uma civilização (como exemplo o Brasil), você vai mexer praticamente só no XML, e isso eu nem toquei ainda desde que eu comecei a ajudar o mod. Acredito que todos aqui gostariam de uma ajuda nessa área, especialmente pelo fato de você ser brasileiro e querer ajudar a melhorar o Brasil no jogo.

Existem muitas formas de ajudar, uma delas, como exemplo, é dublar a voz brasileira, porque atualmente ela é uma cópia da portuguesa (to jogando de Brasil no Conservative MP e reparei lá isso). Qualquer coisa pergunte ao @JosEPh_II, eu sei que ele mexe com XML e ele é um modder bem assíduo e antigo aqui. Tenho certeza que ele poderá te apontar as coisas bem melhor que eu. Qualquer dúvida também é só perguntar!

Spoiler :

The english for the above text:
Ok! I find it great that you're interested in helping the mod, you're welcome! I started to help not long ago, a lot less then those who play here in the MP subforum. But I'm actually more in the area of core programming of the game and its mechanics (C++). To help define the characteristics of a civilization (e.g. Brazil), you must work almost only on the XML, and this I haven't even touched since I started helping this mod. I believe everyone here would like some help in this area, especially by the fact that you're brazilian and you want to help Brazil's civ to get better.

There are many ways to help, one of them, as an example, is to dub the brazilian voice, because for now it's a copy of the Portuguese voice (I'm playing as Brazil in the Conservative MP and I stumbled upon that there). You should ask @JosEPh_II if anything comes to mind, I know that he deals with XML and he is a veteran modder and very active around here. I'm sure he'll be able to guide you around here a lot better then I could. Any doubts feel free to ask me too!

Top Bottom