war chariot .. no longer sucks?

I haven't kept abreast of the various changes over the course of the many patches and the expansion but anecdotally I played a game as Egypt and I was killing everyone with these things. I have had difficulty beating Immortal since G&K, the changes seem to have made cities much harder to rush, best I could do was manage some rushes with the Celts UU but the units were so badly beat up that I lost steam fast. Egypt doesn't have that problem and policing a vast empire is so much easier with mobile units. I don't know what the stat comparison is, but looking at the Hun UU it looks to be even more deadly

The War Chariot is one of the most underrated UUs in the game... they can be fun too!

I agree with you, cities are stronger now, and need more thought to take down... this has made Immortal more difficult, as it takes longer to take over another AI civ. On the other hand, it has made it easier to defend your own lands... perhaps it's made passive play easier too?

The Hun UUs are deadly, but all used up right at the beginning of the game, so you need to get on the offensive immediately, or waste them...

All chariot units can be very strong, even the normal chariot archer.

All unique chariots do not need horses

Egypt war chariot got one move over normal chariots

Huns horse archer got one more combat strength, no rougth terrain penalaty and accury 1 promotion which gives 15% ranged strength vs units in open terrain.

India elephant archer got 3 more combat strength, 1 more ranged combat strength and no rougth terrain penalaty but moves slower and cost more.

Who gets the stronger unique depends on terrain, in open terrain I would pick war chariots because of their speed. On more rougth terrain I would pick horse archer and if the terrain is realy rougth I would pick the elephant archer.

With egyptian war chariot I have counqured a whole island the last opponent got to pickes and had a capital with over 20 defence but that did not help.

In Vanilla I found the war chariots to be pretty bad, to get within range (short of finding a hill with a forest in front) you would have to put yourself in the line of attack of the unit you were attacking (no movement after fire). This meant I would constantly be dying from pikes or swords. Now that units can withstand more hits I can afford to use the great maneuverability to focus attacks upon one unit at a time, taking them out before they can upgrade and if I fail to do so, their counterattack will just damage me instead of completely destroying me like in the past. Very impressive needless to say, playing a standard map, continents and I took out Russia and Persia completely, took Swedes capital and one of their cities leaving them with nothing but a tundra city and have taken two of the biggest cities of China, the last person on the continent, with her having just her capital and two tiny cities left. Of course my economy is in rough shape and Alexander is on the other continent slowly destroying everyone else while building every wonder, but it's still the best I've done since the expansion, so I'm pleased.

I really like the Indian elephant unit but they are so expensive to build and not as easy to escape with to heal like the war chariots.. a bad combination really. I haven't lost a single war chariot meanwhile, just had about 6 of them and a warrior, taking out everything, completely upgraded at this point. Unfortunately I'll likely have to upgrade them to knights if i want any chance of taking Beijiing which is defended with all sorts of medieval units and has a huge defense rating.. and of course most of those promotions won't carry over.

I'll have to try the Hun UU, but as you said, theyre a very one dimensional civ, I like that Egypt has a nice unique building and a UA that is useful throughout the game, far more flexibility.

Sorry, but I just don't get the purpose of the war chariot. How does this unit help Egypt accomplish its goals? Why does Egypt want to fight in the ancient/classical era?

Not only is the Hun UU superior, but Huns start the game with horses, so can build them sooner.

I feel like the war chariot should have the move after attacking promotion and then all would be good.

Sorry, but I just don't get the purpose of the war chariot. How does this unit help Egypt accomplish its goals? Why does Egypt want to fight in the ancient/classical era?

Well there is defence, and clearing barb camps for city states. In this sense the chariot archers are good, they can quickly get over to a barb camp and back again. You don't need horses for them which is very useful (if you have horses, sell them).

Sorry, but I just don't get the purpose of the war chariot. How does this unit help Egypt accomplish its goals?
If you are Egypt, the Hun UUs, and other units in the very early game, are not so clever against the War Chariot, especially the Battering Ram...
Why does Egypt want to fight in the ancient/classical era?
To defend itself from an early rush (perhaps this may not be so important in the early game on a low level, however, on the higher levels it's vital).
Not only is the Hun UU superior, but Huns start the game with horses, so can build them sooner.
In the player's hand, I agree... but in the AI's hands it can be a liability if you defuse that first early rush.
I feel like the war chariot should have the move after attacking promotion and then all would be good.
I believe that would probably make it OP. You'd have to knock off a movement point for it to be reasonable.

If you are the Huns, then the War Chariot, with it's movement, is a real threat against a Battering Ram.

If you have Attila next to you, a Chariot, or 3, is a good defense... pick off the Rams before they get close, then use them from a city as a last resort.

You are right, War Chariots are truly things to fear now. Try a War Chariot/Horse Archer/or even regular chariot archer rush in multiplayer.

Works pretty well due to speed. Comp Bow power with better mobility to react allows for early game momentum.

Top Bottom