war strategies

I use a bit of a blitz stratagy.

I get about 10 of the top of the line units and position them close to a city of the enemy. I do this to about 4-5 of their cities. At the same time I get artillary, ships... and locate the important resources. I also set up about 3 more sets of 10 or so of the top of the line units (backup).

First, I take out all of the resources, iron, uranium, rubber... this way they can't build any units that stand much of a chance.

Second, where I set up my 10 unit army's, I bomb those cities back into the stone age.

Third, I take those cities with the 5 or so armies I set up.

fourth, I fortify any units that are damage and move on to the next city with the ones that still have strength.

Fifth, the 2-3 back up armies I set up, I use 1-2 to cut of the cities I'm invading at a bottlneck or at a key posistion. The last army I use to block reinforcements.

Sixth, I repeat steps 1-5... just moving down the line further.

In the end you should be able to take from 2-3 times the amount of cities you orginally started with units citing next to. You also SHOULD be able to easily take most of the civ since it can't produce any up to date units without the resources. Plus, if your plan goes right... you should of at least cut the civilization in half with your back up units, while your main units took that half of the civ.

Artillary, planes, and ships are your friend. They can't take cities but they sure can prevent a civ from making top of the line units!!!

If I am going to another island I fill up about 6-8 transports with the top of the line units. I then repeat the same proscess

I seem to always have problems with Germany. Recently though I have found myself placed near them on starting a game. On two occassions I have found that exterminating them ASAP has led to a very queits life. So quiet I had to pick on the English. Just one thing, what is it with the French, they don't seem to like anyone.

I agree, the French seem to always be a pain in the ASS!!! English seems to be that way as well. I'm glad when I use a world map they just bicker back and fourth. Germany is always 50/50. Sometimes they are a problem once you hit industrial age, and sometimes because of Frances technological advanced it equals out, or goes into french favor.

For the most part it always seems to me that this happens... America (I use) takes most of North America. Brazil and Argentina fight in South America and that is 50/50. Egypt almost always takes Africa. Europe and western Asia is usually between Germany and France. Southern Asia is always India, Eastern Asia is always China. And Australlia and Oceania is always Australia.

So it tends to be a lot of big wars between those countries and the other 10 or so are non-factors.

If you start using a regular map, with real start positions, I think England is VERY crippled. They can fit maybe 2-3 cities on their homeland, then they most wait until mapmaking. I always wondered, since I have never played a world map, real starting positions, who ends up taking Australia/Oceania?

Oh, and where can I get a world map with real start positions?

Without using Australia, it is almost always China getting most of the islands and a little bit of Australia. Japan getting a couple islands here and there. Then India tends to get what is left over, about half of Australia and a few Indonesian islands.

Just use any world map from mods. Or even the one that comes in the game. Then go to the editor and place the civs where ever you want them. Right clicking them will allow you to adjust which civ is where...

By really BIG I mean when there is still land to settle and the game tells you "too many cities" when you try to create a new city.

1> Try to outgrow the AI in land area as quickly as possible. (obvious)
2> Try to avoid wars until your borders reach each other. This prevents you from building anything other then settlers and defencive units.
3> Once you have around 5-8 cities, choose the one with the best shield production and build a barracks there. This city will then build nothing but offencive land units.
4> Make sure you have roads that reach all borders once other civ's borders reach yours.
5> Since most of the heavy warfare will take place after the ancient era, a 10% reserve policy should always be concidered rule of law. The 10% reserve rule is you take 10% of all units you produce and stash them away somewhere. (offencive, defencive and artillery) These units are vital for any last ditch efforts needed to defend your civ from total annialation at the hands of several other angry civ's. NEVER use them, not even to support a final assault as you may end up getting caught with your pants down.
6> Build fortress walls through any highground on your borders and stock them with as many defencive units as possible. You'll be glad they are there later when several allied civ's decide your the next civ to become extinct. (I was assaulted by around 50 units of modern armour once which managed to penetrate my border but were unable to take my boarder city. The fortress line worked. However, their American allies followed up with an assault of around 30 modern armour units and I lost the city.)
6> Never try and expand your borders too quickly when assaulting another civ as you need to make sure your road/railway infrastructure is there in case you need to pull all your units out to repel potential couterattacks from other civ's.
7> As always, keep your border as small as possible. The less you have to defend the better.
8> A barracks in every city. When you need to repair front line units you'll be glad.
The list goes on....

If anyone likes playing on big maps with slightly modified rules (to make the game more realistic and deadly, PTW only) email me: baggins@quickclic.net, and I'll send you one.

btw, the PTW game I am into now is in the year 1946 and the turns are taking around 30-60 minutes each because of all the combat that goes on.

Originally posted by Dark Russell
btw, the PTW game I am into now is in the year 1946 and the turns are taking around 30-60 minutes each because of all the combat that goes on.

That is why I don't play really BIG maps...

They keys to winning a war are to overwhelm and strike fast and hit the enemy hard.

First, make sure you are prepared for war by having your forces ready for the assault and your govt prepared. Then, I reccomend using air strikes to cut out the enemy's capitol and neutralize their recources but not their whole network. Use your artillery to heavily bombarb their cities and then have your tanks and mechanical inf move it for the kill. Use a mechanical drive to their industrial core and quickly take their capitol. Hopefully your initial blitz will cripple your enemy and it will be a quick victorious march to their capitol.

If your enemy still has some punch after your intitial blitzkrieg rounds and might turn the war into a long one, get an ally to open up a second front or open up one yourself. It is also wise to keep your supply lines short and it is good to rush airports in captured cities as soon as possible to airlift reinforcements in quickly. Always keep sending in more troops but leaving enough to defend your own territory. If you have two potential enemies on different fronts, it is wise to nuetralize one of them by military or diplomatic means.

Another good strategy in a defensive war is to use your terrain efectively and not have all your forces vulnerable to lets say a quick nuclear attack. But mobility is the key and if you can get more troops into the battle faster than your opponet, you will obviously have an insurmountable advantage.

One word BOMBERS. I'm playing on the Warlord level right now and I started my attack on England. I moved up all my TANKS (use em the work) I moved my bombers to my nearest cities and begain my campainge. I Bomebed the snot out of his roads and reasorses. When my tanks were close enough to his cities I Bombed the units defending them which made it very easy to take over. When ever I took a city I'd moove my Bombers up. Moving in from differnt sides is a good idea. I don't however agree with taking the Capital last I hit all their major citys first then I mop up all of the little ones. It took me four hours to take over all of England, I only lost three tanks. Also, make sure you have enough Bombers to take care of their troops and enough tanks to occupy the cities (I recomend two in each) you will need to keep making tanks to keep your numbers up. The real fun comes fun when you get Nukes :) Hope this helped.

My strategy is always to take over my nearest opponement as fast as possible in order to have more land surface, once it's done, I take a break and only do trade and build up my army.
I never use Artilery or bomber for offensive, I keep them in my border city and I bombard any intruder to make it easier for my defence.
When I attack the only thing I hate is what I call "f****** hero" the IA have. Those "hero" are those unit that are not supposed to cause any problem but at the end the "hero" kill all your attacker even before loosing one health point. The only thing you succeed is to make the enemy defending unit becaming an elite.
When this happen, I use cruise missile till the "hero" is gone and then I assault the city. I do not have cruise missile, I just send as much attacking troop as possible and hope...

My only advice is to get as much land surface as possible and always attack first, do not let them become stronger.
If you military advisor tell you that your military is average, you are in trouble and better be prepare for endless war! :D

How to beat high-level AI in modern war

Hey guys.

I have been playing civ for about five months, and have gotten resonably good at it. Right now I am in a game year 1878 with Deity difficulty on giant map, and I thought I would share some of the wisdom I have gained through this war that I am engaged in now.

I am one of three nations on a huge continent, and at the start of this war I was the weakest one. I had actually been planning for this war for a long time so, while my opponent ravaged the entire continent of all other civs, I turned my cities into modern armor factories that could pour them out every one or two turns. What this meant was that when my cities had factories, manufacturig plants, offshore platforms, and hydro dams, the Zulu had Factories (sometimes). The moral of this is that although the Zulu had at least three times as many cities as me, I actually had 5 or so more that actually made a difference in the war effort. What I mean by this is: Once you get to this point in the game, it doesn't help you if you have a city without a factory that loses all its shields to corruption and can make a modern armor in fifty turns. The only cities that even make a difference in the war are the group of ten or so metropolises around yor capitol with minimal corrpution and 60 shields or above. This means that you can beat a much larger civilization in a war, if you can withstand his original attack. All you need to do is fight a war of attrition and take advantage or your superior shield production.

Now this may come as a surprise to all you experienced players, but I found that artillery was not necessary at all. This is not to say that it was not useful, just that when it came to the actual taking of enemy cities, the artillery just wasn't necessary. So, my advice is this: Use artillery for defense of your cities and damaging enemy units in your territory. This works better because you can move the artillery anywhere in your territory (via railroads) and still hit the enemy. If you are trying to take an enemy city, moving your artillery into range will take a turn, thus wasting time and making it more likely that you will not have taken full advantage of the war before your people get pissed off at you for it.

At the start of the war, I had saved up about 120 Modern Armor, and every turn I pumped out eight or so more. I would take three or so cities a turn, simply by attacking recklessly and losing about ten modern armor for each one. What I found is that, once you get your nations cities getting 90 or so shields, you can afford to lose twice as many men as the AI and still come out the winner. This is because of the nature of AI and how it plays. I don't know much about the lower difficulties, because I don't play on them too much, but from my experience, when a Deity-level AI declares war on you (or vice versa) you can be sure of three weaknesses that you can take advantage of:

1. He will always use his bombers to attack rescource squares near to his territory, so set up interceptors with air superiority around the cities that he will be targeting. Even if he loses three bombers or more to your jets, he will continue to attack until the job is done. This is a wasteful use of rescources because it will take him at least 15 turns to get all the bombers back, and your workers can rebuild the road in one or two.

2. He will send modern armor armies with mech inf support by themselves, which makes them easyt targets for you to destroy. Use Radar artillery to take the armies down to one hit point, then finish it off with a modern armor. Also, it is exteremly important after this that you do not let the mech inf escape back to a city. They get an obscene defensive bonus for just being in a city, so take them out with your artillery and modern armor before they escape.

3. He will stack the majority of his army on one territory, and move into your territory to take your fringe cities. This may scare you at first but this actually puts them in a very vunerable position. Because their guys are all stacked, they will slow down (modern armor to wait for mech infantry) they will move very slowly in your territory, taking at least two turns before they are in a position to attack your city. You must take full advantage of these two turns to bombard them with everything you have. Take a group of about twenty mech infantry and radar atrillery into firing range, and blast them. If they attack your artillery and mech infantry, they will get destroyed. If they ignore them and go on to your city, my the time they get there, all of the units will have at least one hit point gone, and will be easy for your mech infantry (which you moved into the city because they were not needed anywhere else) to finish them off. Or, if worst comes to worst, they have a bloody battle, take the city, and lose the war because that was their whole army.

Keep in mind, these strategies only work when all players are fully teched, near the end of the game. I Would like any input that you have for my plan, please post me back.

JR

Top Bottom