Warlords: the Good & the Bad

facistal said:
To me the thing that makes this expansion worth the $30 is the Unique buildings. They further seperate the civs and create soem very specific 'one civ' stats. Like the cultural expansion rushing the Incan Granery, or Getting a couple super early priests with Egypt.
The UB's are an interesting topic, I believe. I do not have the game yet, but can somebody comment more on the UBs? Pro's and Con's?

Jaca

Dear Moddlers,

I am thankful if you guys can mod the regular Civ4 to have a general feature. That is the only new feature I like :).

Thanks,

Im looking forward to try the scenarios. I usually never played them on previous versions of Civ, but now, according to what I've read from the reviews, they seem to be quite interesting.

Probably the next expansion will be more like C3C, hopefully.

I quite like the expansion so far. Don't really care about the scenarios except the Barbarian one, looks like fun. Maybe the others will turn out to be good too when I get around to trying them. The main game got some nice additions, nothing too thrilling, but at least at first glance it all works, instead of the expansion just adding a new load of bugs to the game. ;)

Got questions about the Charismatic trait though... does the Happieness bonus expire when Monuments become obsolete? Does it at any time make any difference wether you got the Monument from really building it or from building Stonehenge?

Mesousa,

Charismatic gives +1 happy in addition to +1 happy from Monuments/Broadcast towers.

EDIT: Sorry, think I may have misread your post. I'm not sure if the +1 from the monument expires when the monument obsoletes. I'll find out when I get home.

facistal said:
Triremes and Trebuchet (sp?) were also a nice touch because they addedm soemthing the game was missing, something to fight Galleys with and a bridge in seige weaponry in the huge gap between catapults and cannons.
Also would have been nice if they had added the missile artillery unit from their own modern Far East scenario.

What a great game. Tons of tweaks that you dont recognise at first glance.
The best thing is that aqueducts dont clog half of the map and dont go thru water tiles. Now its small n handsome eyecandy:)
They still didnt fix the look of the fishing boats ( on tile that is used by city ) we got modern era and insted of modern traulers there are ancient boats?!? what the hell?;O
What in gods name is Stalin doing here? That rises our massmurderers
leaders to 2. Too bad germany didnt get nice Adolf that smiles to you while choosing civilization; ;)))))))) har har har ehhh :(

I expected more options for customising world mass and additional rules that can be turned on ( on custom game)

Finally I had a small hope that modern era units would cost like 3 coins insted of 1 This would help with swarming armies in later game which I dont like .............but what the hell ;)

hmm you are right. But these two are far the worst- thats all i can say. Ragnar aint no saint too but that was looong time ago

Mesousa said:
Got questions about the Charismatic trait though... does the Happieness bonus expire when Monuments become obsolete? Does it at any time make any difference wether you got the Monument from really building it or from building Stonehenge?

You lose the happiness bonus when Monuments become obsolete, which can be a bit annoying if you're not prepared for the drop

No idea about Stonehendge though

Jaca said:
The UB's are an interesting topic, I believe. I do not have the game yet, but can somebody comment more on the UBs? Pro's and Con's?

Jaca

I found this one fun:

Playing Egypt
Research Mysticism
Build Stonehenge
You now have an Obelisk in every city. This means you can put up to two priests in every city, and you don't have even priesthood yet.

Do you like Great Prophets?

Hey Sydhe, I did that myself last night-it was BRILLIANT!!! Played Rameses and, trust me, do not underestimate the power of the Spiritual/Industrious trait combo-it ROCKS!!! Rameses+Stone=virtual guarantee of Stonehenge and, as Sydhe said, its priests all the way (of course, your city has to be able to support them). Still, there I was in 2500 BC, earning a pretty penny at a time when my income is usually a flat ZERO-and all the while building up 5 GPP a turn. At the same time, my spiritual trait meant that I could change religion and civics without skipping a beat. I also got Pyramids with ease, and beat out the other civs for both the Temple of Artemis AND the Parthenon! At one point, I was able to build The Hanging Gardens in only EIGHT TURNS (14 if you count the Aqueduct). Still, he is not all powerful, as I missed out on the Great Library AND Oracle-both of which I could REALLY have used. But, yes, stonehenge for the Egyptians is a powerful early game strategy-especially if you have Rameses.

Aussie_Lurker.

Because........My CD1 has many scratchs. Warlord's CD is in CD/DVD Driver.

Good things:

New traits, leaders, civs, great person and units

Bad things:

Nothing is better than MOD
Unstable (CTD, its not the issue of ottomans)
Thunder Storm Light (Graphic Card Problem)

I sat down today and tried out some of the scenarios. What I tried out was fun, but there is definatly room for improvement in some of them.

China unification was a fun one with quite a few ways to end up winning. You do have to war quite a bit, but its really interesting once you get to the point you have siege weapons. AI pretty much hates you and eachother to start with and winning over any allies is a bit tricky but its well worth it.

Barbarian was not as good as I hoped. Everything is fine if your on a Tiny map, but if you go up to small its nearly impossibe to actually win before the civs tech up to a point you cant touch them. Unless I am missing something you can never get any advanced units or tech at all beyond what you start with. On a Tiny map its possible to clear everyone out before they have a chance to tech, but other then that your screwed.

Vikings is fun, but gets a little stale. The treasures was a good idea but not worth the effort so it pretty much comes down to taking cities and ransoming them. Rinse and repeat. Would be more interesting in the long run if there were more options of how to win.

Mongols scenario was fun. Nothing bad to say about this one really. If you like war, and the idea of stealing your techs instead of researching them this ones for you.

I will try some of the others when I get a chance and let you know what I think of them. The game is definatly worth the 30 dollars, the tweaks to the game alone make it a good buy, and the scenarios are just gravy.

I've only played part of one game, so I don't have a real good feel for what's changed yet, but there are a few things I've noticed:

1. Protective is quite powerful. Going up against Churchill, I had to suicide a large number of catapults and trebuchets against his archers before I could clear him out.
2. For some reason, they removed the display from the top of the diplomacy screen that showed what the attitude of the civ you are trading with is. You have to manually move the mouse over the picture now, and wait for the little popup to find out what they think of you. Really annoying. Adding a few seconds into every time I open that screen just to find out what their attitude is is very annoying. I can't think of a single good reason to remove that very simple status bar at the top of the diplo screen.
3. Once again, all my preferences were overwritten. Every patch wipes out my settings, requiring me to tweak it all again. I suppose it was too much to hope that maybe just once they'd preserve preferences.
4. Trebuchets are evil.

I have to say I love unique buildings . . . they just add an element to the game that was missing before. Unique units . . . often I wouldn't even bother with my unique unit. I'd play peacefully and never need it, unless it was Ghandi's worker unit . . . buildings on the other hand . . . nice for builders.

And speaking of playing peacefully, I notice the AI has been majorly revamped and made a lot more aggressive. I haven't played a ton yet, but that gives me hope for a smarter, more ruthless opponent. If they did the revamp well enough it will be worth my 30 dollars all by itself.

I don't have the game yet, but reading so far from you guys, I just love those new chariots. Bye bye early axe rush :lol:

Top Bottom