Wasted beakers when changing techs?

Okay, here's my next question (and thanks to all who've enlightened me in the past).

Say you're researching Medicine and you're about halfway there, and then for some reason you decide to switch paths and go for Industrialization instead. (Maybe another civ got to Medicine first and you can afford to trade, or you decide that factories are more important than hospitals -- I dunno.) Anyway, do you loose all the beakers that you put into Medicine and have to start over with Industrialization, or is there some carryover to the new tech? This could have a lot of strategic implications.

Thanks!

Beakers are not carried over. Furthermore they are also lost on the previous tech when you change so if you are halfways to medicine then decide to change to another tech but then change back to medicine one turn later, your research on medicine will be lost.

If you shift click on a tech later down the line (eg. Sanitation, or Motor Transport), the next one in line will automatically be selected when you get past the last turn for that tech.

But it's realistic, isn't it?

I mean, how can you start building the pyramides and one turn before they are complete, you switch to the colossus and it's ready the very next turn?!? :eek:
Even more, you wasted the whole peek of the pyramid... :cry:

Or you start a bank and finsh it as a cavalry!? Guess that only sounds strange to non-civers. :crazyeye:

I would not mind Civ 4 being more realistic in that point, although I cannot estimate to which extent that changed the whole game too much. But it would be consequent to follow this path they took from Civ 2 to 3 (wonder-improvement-switching, tech-switching, caravans) :scan:

There could be some pairs of techs, buildings or units, switching between which doesn't waste all beakers / shields already accumulated because of their similarity.

Oops. This is not the Civ 4 - Ideas & Suggestions here, is it? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom