Watcha Writin'?

No, I don't know what their mission will be...Hmm, I wonder if there will be dragons? I like dragons. :love:]

Yes, thar shall be a dragon! :dance:
My 5-man-band mission is to neutralize it. :ninja:

I already knew how my story will end. I had to figure out how to work a dragon into it.

Then I retired for the evening and reviewed the NaNoWriMo thread. Folks there seem to be having fun. I wanna play too. :envy:
I play NaNoWriMo in a way that drives poor Valka crazy [pissed]I don't sign up; :nya: I don't play by the rules :evil: but instead I move in "the same general direction." This time I've done zero prep, and I have no idea how many words I'm aiming to write. :dunno:
So sign up. You're still allowed; some people get a late start. You can even edit your word count goal up until the date when validation starts.

Zkribbler, it's a better experience if you're actually signed up. You can get various badges depending on how much progress you've made, and there are badges that you can claim for yourself (on the honor system, of course). You get helpful emails several times a week, and periodic pep talks. Mouthwash and I are rattling around in a 19-person cabin, and while there's lots of room to spread out, it would still be more fun with more people.

I've tried the zero-prep approach, and while it never works for me, it might work for you. This is the most ambitious Camp event I've tried thus far - 30,000 words when my previous ones were only 10,000. I did an experiment during December/January, to see how comfortable I was doing 30,000 words over a 60-day period, and when that worked I decided to try it over a 30-day period for the April Camp event. I realized in November that I'd let myself get lazy with easy Camp word counts (even though I normally do 5000 over my stated goal), so this is more of a training exercise for November when everyone has to do at least 50,000. My official goal is 30,000. Unofficially I won't be happy with less than 35,000. Thank goodness there's still a lot of story to go and I've already outlined a lot of it.

I spent the night in Tagbilaran. I pulled up my start of The Pizza Delivery Guy story [an industrial spy inadvertently triggers the kidnapping of his target's daughter. Because the kidnapper steals the spy's car, the spy has to give chase, fearing the police will trace the get-away car back to him.]

My story petered out before because I couldn't figure out where to go with it. :confused: Now I'm injecting in all kinds of near-future tech. :science: Also I finally :whew:have my first-ever non-straight characters, to wit, my kidnapper and victim are both lesbians. I've been wanting to diversify my characters, but I didn't want to just cram in a token. Here, they fit in nicely.

There's a lot of Hollywoody stuff, which I know well having grown up in L.A. I'm planning a deliciously scummy Harvey-Weinstein-type producer. :drool:

I have portions of another story which I'll bring in. It takes place in an undersea desalinization complex.

My guess is that the spy-victim will turn out to be the story's mega-danger :borg: I'm trying to tie him into the undersea desalinization complex, but I can't figure out how. :badcomp:

Last edited:
My guess is that the spy-victim will turn out to be the story's mega-danger :borg: I'm trying to tie him into the undersea desalinization complex, but I can't figure out how. :badcomp:

Papa's not the bad guy. He's such a straight arrow he has a statue of George Washington in his foyer. But he's got this girlfriend. She'll probably be a bigwig/owner of the undersea desalinization complex. Next problem: How is an undersea desalinization complex evil?

It steals power from the national grid? It's built near an important reef?

It steals power from the national grid?

:think: This is an interesting idea. Desalinization uses A LOT of power. Plus, the complexes themselves supply "nimbas" with their power. (Nimbas are gigantic drone-piloted hydrogen-filled airships which transport fresh water miles inland.) Any soulless corporation would seek to maximize its profits by minimizing its main expense. :w00t:

It's built near an important reef?

Alas no. We're talking Santa Monica Bay here. No reefs, Even attempts to build artificial reefs have failed.

Last edited:
No response back from Writers of the Future on my Douglas Adams pastiche
What Lies at the End of the Universe. I am not surprised.
By the very nature of a pastiche, it cannot be plagiarism :please: however by the very nature of a pastiche, I must use Douglas Adams' "world," and, under the contest rules, this is verbotten, :nono: I had hoped they'd love my story so much, they'd put their thumb over that rule. But no. :thumbsdown:
It was a lot of fun to write tho. [party] I might take another approach. Instead of an improbability drive, I've invented an infinity drive. Instead of a babel fish, I have an invasive swarm on nanobots. The Earth won't be blown up, but nevertheless hapless Earthlings will be swept up into a loony interstellar adventure. :run:

Meanwhile, my editor's evaluation of "Come Hither, Springtime" is done. :D
As usual, she has made ingenious observations and suggestions. :queen:
I'm re-writing it and will submit it to this quarter's Writers of the Future Contest.

As to Pizza Deliver Guy, Synsensa's suggestion that "steal[ing] power from the national grid" be the bad girl's evil plot is proving to be invaluable. :yup: Chapter 1 opens with my main character burglarizing a mansion. Why? It will turn out he is seeking proof of the electricity theft. Chapter 1 also has what, at first, was a kidnapping of the mansion's owner's daughter. This caused me pause. :scared: Kidnappings are extremely difficult to pull off. Upon further reflection, the abduction has been made to look like a kidnapping. In reality, The "kidnapper" is seeking to extort evidence of the electricity theft.

Now, I need to concoct an ingenious plan to steal massive amounts of electricity.

Speaking of pizza, I am drowning my sorrows over the Alberta election with pepperoni/tomato pizza and diet Coke. And a Kit-Kat bar, which I am not supposed to have, but to hell with that tonight.

Yes, I did get a few hundred words written. Still not enough, but some.

Now, I need to concoct an ingenious plan to steal massive amounts of electricity.

Ah ha! Not "steal" qua "steal." Rather, my villain will bribe, extort. etc government officials into voting to have the government pay for the electricity. [Very sad: In real life, Los Angeles' Dept. of Water and Power in one of the best run organizations in the city. In my story, the DWP will be an evil marionette.]

As is my wont, I'm off on yet another distraction. :run:I realized that my high fantasies follow the tropes of Tolkien & D&D. Which is okay, but not exactly creative. :dunno:

So I've started a fantasy set on a different world: two suns, archipelago geography, steampunk power [albeit, often steam is created using a fire demon to boil a water demon], monsters and magical creatures are everywhere, and nary an elf nor dwarf is in sight. :p

The world is facing an ecological disaster, which only the princess :queen: can somehow avert. She has been "damseled" in a high tower, built upon a rocky pillar in the middle of a storm-tossed sea. She is wily and resourceful, but her prison is inescapable. :(

Onto this isle is tossed an ostracized pirate, a university graduate who may be learned but who is forever tripping over his own IQ points. :blush:

Together, they must escape and save the world. :D

The world is facing an ecological disaster,

At first I was thinking of a spreading toxic algae. :vomit:Now, I'm looking to the planet's only continent, Blackland, which lies in the northern polar region. It consists of glaciers, snow, and lots and lots of coal. Factories line the southern coastline, spewing out soot, turning the glaciers black, increasing their melting, dooming the world's archipelagoes to rising sea levels. The princess must convince the world to convert from steam power to magic. :please:

Last edited:
O-kay... :hide:

Where does the soot come from? Where does the coal come from? What are the factories made of?

And don't say wood. You haven't allowed for any trees.

Suggestion: Do a bit of research on planets with two suns (if either of them are anything but red or yellow, your civilization is in trouble). You'll need to allow for weird orbits and seasons and even gravity. Tides could get weird, as moons aren't the only things that can affect them.

Where does the soot come from?
From burning coal
Where does the coal come from?
From the ground. That's why the continent is called Blackland

What are the factories made of?
I dunno. Stone or wood.

And don't say wood. You haven't allowed for any trees.

But, but, but, I didn't say there weren't any trees anywhere on the planet.

Suggestion: Do a bit of research on planets with two suns (if either of them are anything but red or yellow, your civilization is in trouble). You'll need to allow for weird orbits and seasons and even gravity. Tides could get weird...

I'm envisioning two suns, quite close together. A very small sun in tight orbit around a main sequence sun, both reasonably far away from their orbiting planets.

Tides scare the #@%&!$! out of me because I can't understand them. It's axiomatic that when the moon is directly overhead, it's high tide because of the moon's gravitational pull. But why then is there another high tide 12 hours later when the moon is on the exact opposite side of the planet? Logic dictates, this should be low tide because the moon is pulling in the opposite direction. :confused:

I hadn't thought at all about moons. but I now believe I should have three itty-bitty moons. The light of the red moon will maximize red magic; the yellow moon, yellow magic; and the blue moon, blue magic. What these three magics mean, I dunno.
Spoiler moon magic :
I think that decades ago, I may have played a board game which had this mechanic.

Valka - I appreciate your input. Thanks for keeping me honest. :hatsoff:It'd be easy for me to argue "this is high fantasy, and the rules of physics don't apply," but that would be just lazy writing. :sleep:

Regarding moon magic, in the Dragonlance series Krynn has 3 moons: Solinari, which gives the Good-aligned mages their power; Nuitari, which gives the Evil-aligned mages their power; and Lunitari, which gives the Neutral-aligned mages their power. Solinari is white, Nuitari is black, and Lunitari is red.

I think. It's been a long time since I last read those books, but it's basic Dragonlance 101, from Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

And no, you can't get away with saying "it's fantasy so physics doesn't have to make sense." Even magic systems have to be consistent in-universe. That's why some people take issue with how many wish spells Raistlin casts in Dragons of Spring Dawning. He shouldn't be able to do that, yet he does. I get that the authors took artistic license, but since that trilogy is based on a series of 12 dragon-themed AD&D modules, they should have made more effort to write within the rules.

Speaking of in-universe consistency... I still have to figure out how to explain the fantasy/magic elements the Kingmaker developers threw in at the last minute. The RL explanation is probably that they ran up against a deadline and had to wrap things up quick. Plenty of reviewers say the game should have had at least one more chapter, more likely two, and the introduction of magic at the last minute was a cop-out. And they switched animation styles near the end as well; it's obvious from the way they drew Randall and did the animation when he finds the Crown of King Edwin the Great, and when he in turn is crowned.

That said, the introduction of magic has allowed me to take Randall's character in a completely different direction than I'd originally planned. I'm incorporating a lot of music into this, particularly music from various Celtic artists, heavy on flute and harp music (ie. I'm envisioning Enya's "Only Time" being played at Duke Edvar's funeral as the background for a montage of memories experienced by the people gathered there to mourn him). And there's a reel from one of my other games that has nothing to do with this, but I really, really want to incorporate it and write words to accompany it. The problem is that I can't remember which of my games it's from. I do know it's probably one I bought last fall so that narrows it down some, and is one of the time management/archaeology adventure ones. And there's some music from one of my World's Greatest Cities Mosaics games that would fit in perfectly - mostly piano, but if Duke Edvar can wear suspenders eight centuries too early, I can have somebody invent the harpsichord a few hundred years too early. :smug:

As for what magic has to do with the music... I'm partly drawing on my own experiences. Some people experience music as colors, and that's true for me to some extent. At some point in his life (in his teens, I think), Randall is going to start experiencing odd visions and extra-sensory things associated with music. He experiences it as the world singing to him, in a vast harmony of voices and instruments. It's overwhelming at first, but as he gets older he learns how not to let it overwhelm him and discovers that it gives him the ability to compose music that affects listeners' emotions in a much deeper way than usual.

Now if I can figure out if the physics of music can be connected to the Crown's ability to turn a villain into a statue of wood, that's that part of the game figured out and the deus-ex-machina ending explained.

Regarding moon magic, in the Dragonlance series Krynn has 3 moons: Solinari, which gives the Good-aligned mages their power; Nuitari, which gives the Evil-aligned mages their power; and Lunitari, which gives the Neutral-aligned mages their power. Solinari is white, Nuitari is black, and Lunitari is red.
That's almost certainly where I got it from...albeit, I have a vague recollection of a board game.

That's why some people take issue with how many wish spells Raistlin casts in Dragons of Spring Dawning. He shouldn't be able to do that, yet he does.
And it's why I grumble about the mega-fauna living on Tatooine even though there's no apparent food source for them.

...I'm incorporating a lot of music into this, particularly music from various Celtic artists, heavy on flute and harp music (ie. I'm envisioning Enya's "Only Time" being played at Duke Edvar's funeral as the background for a montage of memories experienced by the people gathered there to mourn him). And there's a reel from one of my other games that has nothing to do with this, but I really, really want to incorporate it and write words to accompany it.

I envy you your facility with music. I incorporate songs into my stories, but only the lyrics. I couldn't write out music for "Chopsticks" if I had Beethoven sitting on my lap. [95% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.]

That's almost certainly where I got it from...albeit, I have a vague recollection of a board game.
It wouldn't surprise me if there's a board game. I'm certainly not up on all the Dragonlance products.

I envy you your facility with music. I incorporate songs into my stories, but only the lyrics. I couldn't write out music for "Chopsticks" if I had Beethoven sitting on my lap. [95% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.]
Thank you. :) I come by it partly through being able to learn by ear, and so it leads to more experimentation. I've taken lessons, of course, in practicals and theory, and part of theory includes composition.

I also got into writing filksongs some 30-odd years ago. Since this is fanfic, it stands to reason that some of the music I want to include be filk music. Of course the scene where my imagination insists on placing "Only Time" would include the song as Enya wrote it (minus the piano; I have to mentally substitute something else because modern pianos didn't exist in the 11th century).

What I want to do in and around the reel I was mentioning is to make it into a song that is more spoken than sung. Part of the reason for this is I've decided that although Randall is really damn good at composing and not bad at writing lyrics, he's not a very good singer and will be the first to admit it (I based this character trait on an impression I got of the voice actor who portrays Randall in the game; I don't get "good singer vibes" when I listen to his dialogue, although there's plenty of variety in tones and expression in his speech). So the skills he lacks are made up for by partnering with his sister (an original character I created, if you recall). She's good at writing lyrics, and is a fine singer. She's also skilled at multiple instruments. That said, I decided that Randall is good at whistling (I have a bit of pre-game dialogue in which the King asks him to play something and he says he can't because he forgot to bring his flute with him... but he could whistle something if His Majesty wishes).

(btw, if you're wondering how much these two are based on me, the answer is not as much as you might think; I've composed waltzes, polkas, and filksongs, I'm a terrible singer - just ask Maddy, who gives me "shut up, Mom" looks whenever I sing, but I'm not skilled at any of the instruments my characters are. At least not unless you want to count being able to pick out simple tunes on a recorder without making it squeal)

As for Chopsticks, it might help to remember that it's in 3/4 time, which technically makes it a waltz. Not that I've ever seen anyone try to dance to it.

The more I respect the laws of physics, the more my story slides from being high fantasy into science fantasy:science: which is not necessarily a bad thing. For example, In the tower, the princess's guards are living statues called petrabrutes. With science fantasy, I have to figure out how to make rocks come alive. Living creatures must "eat." The only "food source" plentiful enough is the power of the crashing waves. Thus I've hijacked Robert Louis Stephenson's "Merry Men," crashing waves that maniacally laugh. Their spirit will feed my statues.

A nasty problem I've made for myself is: The princess's fate is to convert civilization from dirty coal to clean magic. This is such a beneficial idea, I wonder why it wasn't done centuries ago? Has magic just been invented? :dubious:

I think I will have four moons: one which strengthens land magic; one air magic; one water magic; and one fire magic. :smug:

Last edited:
I am so stuck. :cry: For my "Princess and the Pirate" story to proceed, I have articulated four (4) questions about the plot which I need to answer. After much pondering, I am making progress on none of them. :badcomp:

Plus, I am losing enthusiasm for my "chosen one" princess. :sleep:

...But, what if my princess is not a princess at all? I reviewed the humor in my Disc World fan fiction, went to bed, and let my sleeping brain run wild. :run: At 03:30, I have my new opening line:

Spoiler Opening line :

In a basement of a university, lived a cleaning maid who dreamed of daring.

"I'm not the Chosen One!"

"That's exactly what the Chosen One would say!"

I am so stuck. :cry: For my "Princess and the Pirate" story to proceed, I have articulated four (4) questions about the plot which I need to answer. After much pondering, I am making progress on none of them. :badcomp:

Plus, I am losing enthusiasm for my "chosen one" princess. :sleep:

...But, what if my princess is not a princess at all? I reviewed the humor in my Disc World fan fiction, went to bed, and let my sleeping brain run wild. :run: At 03:30, I have my new opening line:

Spoiler Opening line :

In a basement of a university, lived a cleaning maid who dreamed of daring.
Have you seen the movie "Maid in Manhattan"?

SUBMITTED [party]

Writers of the Future will either love it :hug: or hate it :backstab:. I'm anxious to see which.

My story didn't place at all in the contest, which I guess is not unexpected, since I made edits after submitting that I think made it better. Somehow, I still feel kinda disappointed, though. Maybe this is a sign that there isn't any hope for the story.

What about you?

Last edited:
Top Bottom