1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Watcha Writin'?

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Zkribbler, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Hamilton321

Hamilton321 Warlord

That is quite interesting, personally I really have no idea where to post my writing where people can and will read it, I tried to create my own website, but I could not find a format I liked so I just decided against it. I do not really know what a good place to post my writing would be or how to find it. This is only my second year I have been writing significant amounts of content.

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Some people post on blogs, and others on forums. For instance, TrekBBS has a fanfiction forum where people can post their (mostly Star Trek) fanfic, and they have monthly contests.

You're welcome to post your writing here, as long as you don't have any words the autocensor would catch (Plotinus wouldn't allow a workaround when one of the Iron Pen writers wanted to use a particular phrase, so a different phrase had to be used).

There are other fanfic websites, namely fanfiction.net or Archive Of Our Own (AO3).

I've been thinking about setting something up myself, both for works-in-progress and finished works (to get around length and word usage restrictions). But that's a project that will have to wait a bit. I'm still involved in NaNoWriMo and I have a couple of Yahoo! groups that have content I need to rescue before it all gets zapped next month (hadn't realized that quite that much Fuzzy Knights stuff was uploaded there!).

3. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Me too. :high5:

aelf likes this.
  4. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles 401 Unauthorized

I've been struggling a bit with my writing. I know what I want to say, but I have trouble figuring out the words. I see people say "just write what pops into your head!" but that doesn't work for me :undecide:

That and video games.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  5. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Describe it in writing first.

6. aimeeandbeatles

Um :undecide:

7. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I found this site.

https://publishedtodeath.blogspot.com/p/calls-for-submissions.html

8. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Hrumph. I been searching around for something to submit to Writers of the Future before the pending contest end on the 31st. I came up with a bunch of nothing. :sad:

Then I found an old Ali Baba fan fic I wrote years ago. Somewhere along the line I began converting it into a trilogy of novellas. The first one is done. But it's 18,000+ words. WoF's upper limit is 17,000. :cringe: So I need to trim off 1,000 words and make sure the novella works as a stand alone. :please:

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

re my Ali Baba story. I have a little more than 1 day to finish it before the deadline. :scared: The biggest problem is that I've given 6-8 of the 40 thieves "cutesy" Arab names....except instead of cute, they're stupid & probably racist. :o

Upon further reflection, :think: the problem arises out of giving them first and last names. If I just give them first names [and there are hundreds of them] and iimI don't try to get cute, the problem evaporates. :yeah:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  10. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

I am now morbidly curious.

11. Valka D'Ur

Baby name sites are your friend, as are the better name generation sites.

That said... I STILL DON'T HAVE A BETTER NAME FOR COUNT CHOCULA! :gripe:

12. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Names like
    Bin Dere-dun-Dat
    Badi Badhbad
    No-Fear Nimr
    :o
    Not my finest hour.

Remember when I said: "re my Ali Baba story. I have a little more than 1 day to finish it before the deadline."? I miscounted. Thus, even though I got bogged down in the name changes, due to the miscount, I still have 1 day plus to shave off the extra 937 words. :badcomp:

13. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

I frequent 20000-NAMES myself.

Always remember: 'Abdul' isn't a name, it's a prefix (abd al-, 'servant of'); never use it in isolation.

14. Valka D'Ur

I've only seen the "Bindar Dundat" version. Someone used it as their name on the CBC comment pages (whoever put in the "real names" policy has obviously gone on vacation, since there are an awful lot of phony-looking names there now).

I, of course, do not use my real name on that website (an Albertan, openly stating she never votes right-wing, could get me in trouble with some people around here - one of the building security guys got mad until I assured him that "at least I didn't vote Liberal"). But my username comes with another issue: It's one from one of my favorite novels, does look real, but now people assume I'm an immigrant from somewhere in Europe or Asia.

15. aimeeandbeatles

16. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I am using an Arab baby boy list. These character are very minor; their names are unimportant. :sleep:

17. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

23 hours before the submission deadline. I've gone through the story at least three times looking for fat to cut. But I have dozens of characters in intertwining subplots. There's virtually no fat. :badcomp::wallbash:

Later: 12 hours to go. I've managed to cut 500 words. Somewhere I must fund 500 more. This is so painful. :sad:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  18. Valka D'Ur

Didn't somebody tell me not to have too many named characters? :mischief:

I need a name for the prison guard Randall kills in the alternative version of my story. He's a thoroughly evil person, so it's not anyone Randall will lose sleep over. But the other characters need a name to refer to him by.

19. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Mastiff.

20. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

That's one of the reasons I'm cutting these guys to a single bland name each...so they will be instantly forgettable.

10 hours to go. 350 words to cut. :scared: