1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Watcha Writin'?

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Zkribbler, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

In the Train Heist episode of Firefly, there was an evil thug named Crow.

I was reminded by https://thoughtcatalog.com/erin-cossetta/2018/06/evil-names/

2. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

SUBMITTED 2:01 p.m Los Angeles time :whew:16,990 words

Birdjaguar likes this.
  3. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles queen of the watermelons

It took me only five hundred tries (or what seemed like that), but I finally am satisfied with the scene I just finished. At least until I'm unsatisfied again.

4. aimeeandbeatles

Every time I close the application, Scrivener backs up my project. I just found out that it hadn't been deleting the older backups so I ended up with nearly a gigabyte's worth of rtf files. :wow:

5. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I'm in the middle of taking a red pen to a proof I ordered from Amazon for a fishing book I'm writing. This is my first attempt at self-publishing, so I've been taking it slow. It was interesting to see how much I could write when I focused on it earlier this year. Since then, I've been reading and revising the piece several times. You learn a lot about yourself as a writer when you sit down and take a critical look at a what you've produced. I feel like I'm a stronger writer now than when I started.

I don't have the funds for an editor, so I've made a point of revisiting the manuscript after some breaks and having family read it too. I'm sure I won't catch everything before I finally hit "approve," but on the other hand, when I compare this work to other self-published fishing books, I'm pleased with how it looks. Once I read it one last time and fix the remaining errors I find, I think it's time to take a deep breath and send it out into the world.

Valka D'Ur and Zkribbler like this.
  6. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

How many pages is it (double spaced)? I use a reasonably-priced editor in Texas, whom I adore.:hug: If you wish, I can check her availability and maybe get a price guesstimate.

7. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

To be completely honest with you, @Zkribbler, I don't know that a book on this topic will ever sell enough to the point where a small error is really going to matter, nor do I think the target audience is going to notice or care.

With that said, I have another book planned that discusses less expensive ways to get a college degree, and THAT book could be extremely hurt with improper editing, so I might take you up on the offer soon! Thank you!

Zkribbler likes this.
  8. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I am suspending my endless search for a literary agent and instead submitting Wee directly to Tor Publishing, which seeks novels from writers with no agent. This increases greatly my chances of getting published but decreases greatly my chances of getting big money,

Unlike everyone else to whom I've ever submitted things, Tor does not accept e-mails. :shake: It wants everything hard copy: a cover letter. the first three chapters, and an up-to-10-pages synopsis. Writing a synopsis is a pain because in addition to be very difficult thing to write, it should be in third-person present tense. :badcomp:

9. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Good luck!

I found Amazon to be a pretty easy way to "publish," though of course it's just not the same thing as making it and having a real publishing company behind you.

Do you have a website or blog with any of your work I could check out? Apologies if it is in your signature as I usually post from my phone and can't see it.

10. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I was in the process of publishing this novel on Kindle when my Widows 7 laptop died. Amazon refuses to recognize my Windows 10 laptop, and so now I'm locked out of Amazon and Kindle. :sad:

I don't have a website etc., but years ago before I began seriously studying fiction writing, I published some fan fic on fanfiction.com under the pen name Runt Thunderbelch. My best-received story is "Grandpa Incredible." :coffee:

11. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Crows aren't evil. And part of my novel takes place in the Kingdom of Ravensmoor. Crows and ravens are among the good guys.

I do see a couple of possibilities in that list, though.

Zkribbler doesn't have a sig.

12. aimeeandbeatles

I want to try to get up my next chapter sometime this month. My last chapters were posted back in November... :cringe:

13. Valka D'Ur

I need a family/House name for a king who is not very likable, but not really a villain. He sees it as looking out for his own position, trying to advance his family's position, and the wealth of the kingdom as any king would do. He just goes about it in an undiplomatic way, expecting that of course his youngest daughter would be a suitable queen for the newly-crowned King of Griffinvale (who is not going along with this idea because A. it would be a cousin marriage; and B. this daughter is more than 10 years younger and not really good queen material).

The royal family of the Kingdom of Stormhaven consists of King Charles, Queen Alicia, and their five offspring (three boys and two girls, all of whom are adults at the time of the events of the game I've been novelizing). Stormhaven and these characters are my own invention as it seemed bizarre that Griffinvale seems to exist in a vacuum in the game except for the place where the prince was sent "on crusade" 30 years earlier (it was never named and I haven't decided just where it was or why the crusade was declared).

I've thrown specific naming conventions out the window. Since the game itself is a mix of British, Celtic, and Germanic cultures, I figured why not add some more. This is alt-history, so I'm flexible.

14. aimeeandbeatles

I was going to suggest Behind the Names generator but then realized it only does first names.

Fantasy Name Generators has a lot of generators, most of the real name ones give you a first and surname. So that might be something to look at. :)

15. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I'm not in love with this, but "Cleaver," cleave being that rare world which is its own antonym;, i.e."two cut in twain," "to hold together." This will capture his "not likeable/not villainous" dichotomy. It's also mindful of Anne of Cleves.

I'll give this a think-think and may come back with more. :think:

:dubious: Do you mean more nationalities or more names which are British, Celtic, or Germanic?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  16. aelf

aelf Ashen One

House Hohenzollern.

17. Valka D'Ur

:eek:

Thank you, but I honestly can't see them with that name.

18. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

House of the Rat. Francach.

19. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Ire.

20. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Nimbus :smug: