Ways of playing

acluewithout

Deity
There was a thread recently about gameplay v immersion. Perfectly good thread, but I wasn’t a big fan of the terms ‘gameplay’ v ‘immersion’ or the idea that the two were somehow opposites.

There are of course different ways of playing a game like Civ. I’m going to suggest some new terms, and make a few observations. Feel free to use these terms if you like them, and equally feel free to ignore if you think these terms aren’t right.

Playing to win. This just means literally playing to achieve one of the existing victory types. Doesn’t matter how long it takes you - your goal is just to get to a victory screen. My guess is that this is what most new players, and maybe most players, aim for. I think a lot of us here find winning the game fairly easy even on higher difficulties, even if it takes some of us 300+ turns plus. So, around here, “playing to win” may not reflect much of a challenge.

Playing optimally. Related to playing to win. You aim to achieve a victory, but aim to do so as efficiently as possible - usually that means in the smallest number of turns possible. This is your fast science victory. This would include for example using chopping and overflow. But I think it could also include optimal play where you avoid some really big exploits.

Optimal play with rules. This is what I think a lot of people are actually doing. They aim to play efficiently as possible, but they set certain rules for themselves either explicitly or implicitly. They might have rules about how they play - no war, get a religion, no spamming campuses, use navy. Or they might set rules about what counts as victory - eg get 100 envoys. Sometimes these rules or goals might be implicit, eg someone that tries playing efficiently but always likes building Indistrial Zones.

Speed playing, exploring mechanics, mucking about. Playing nominally efficiently, but actually playing inefficiently at times either because they are playing very quickly or because they want to experiment with different mechanics or explore the map. Think of it as “doing what feels like fun” but still with an eye to some efficiency and or winning.

Roleplaying. I think this is what people mean by immersion, but I think Roleplaying is a more accurate term. Basically, it’s making a story out of what your doing and or making choices by reference to story based objectives. It’s the “let’s pretend” element. This would range from people that are full on building an empire to stand the test of time (trademark Sid Meier Enterpises Global Meganet), all the way to people that go “man, I always invade Australia because I can’t stand Curtin’s smug face” or build high pop cities because that feels more like an empire.

Some observations. First, I think a lot of these categories are not mutually exclusive. You can for example both roleplay and explore. Playing truly optimally might be the least compatible with the other play styles, but even then I think you can mix it with other styles to some extent. For example, you can play optimally, but still imagine in your head that you’re building an empire (if that works for you).

Second, my guess is the majority of people generally (not just on this forum) play a mix of “playing to win”, “speed play” etc., and a bit of “roleplaying”. My guess is that this might partly be driven by not knowing how best to play optimally - I doubt most people are aware of the various strategies, tactics and “tricks” on this forum, although I am just guessing.

Third, on this forum, I think most people find it very easy to win. As a result, they don’t want to just “play to win”. Hence, they usually both play to win and play with one or more of the above styles in mind.

Fourth, this is just my take. The last thing I’d want anyone to think is that I’m trying to impose anything on anyone.

Playing to win with as much fun as I can arrange in the mean time. For me, this means warmongering with near reckless abandon. I enjoy overcoming fortress type situations, ie. civs with decent defenses and closely clustered cities with loyalty that tends to reinforce their fortress. I mean, there are limits to the recklessness, where I'll just stand down until the next technological threshold (ie. unit upgrade), but I like to push as much as possible. Sometimes I push on when I am 100% certain I will get decimated, just to see what will happen. This sort of thing makes the game fun for a reasonable time, until my success becomes something of a failure (so far as having a competitive game goes). Then I start again.

Playing tall and non-warmongering victory types just don't do much for me.

Optimally? If I happen to notice that I can use overflow, I do. Otherwise, I just don't bother. If I want a job, I can go to work.
Rules? See previous statement re: work.

I guess for me it's a mix of role-playing and playing to win. I love having a big empire with huge cities all on rivers, with a full range of districts and loads of farms on flatland, even though it's apparently not optimal from the point of view of effectiveness. After all, this is a game of CIVILIZATION, and having loads of tiny towns does not fit with the theme. I also pick democracy not only because its optimal game-wise, but because I'd feel like a lousy person if I went for anything non-democratic. However, I will not sacrifice a win for roleplaying reasons.

One thing I should probably have added is that these “ways of playing” can all be super fluid, even in the same gain.

I usually play very optimally for the first 100 turns subject to certain rules (eg no campus spam and using 8 ages of pace), but then move to exploring or speed play, or just roleplay.

One thing I should probably have added is that these “ways of playing” can all be super fluid, even in the same gain.

I usually play very optimally for the first 100 turns subject to certain rules (eg no campus spam and using 8 ages of pace), but then move to exploring or speed play, or just roleplay.

Super fluid sounds fun. In the game I am presently engaged in, I have decided to build a bunch of Industrial Zones (see The state of Industrial Zones and Great Engineers.thread) to see what happens :lol:. I think it could make a the lag of a Marathon speed science victory bearable. We shall see...

Nice thread.

What I really like, but rarely obtain, is the kind of game where immersion/roleplaying actually blends with fair and square winning. I want every game to feel big, with world-spanning possibilities and the kind of plot twists that have happened / could have happened in real History. So I usually play random leaders and map type (usually on Emperor / Immortal, standard size or larger, Epic speed).

What I find hard to do is stick to my strategy (because I obviously want to win) while trying to maintain this feeling of "I'm re-writing history" in a plausible way. I very often seem to tip to one side or the other, probably because the game gets too easy or too hard. Also a factor is my level of concentration ; I tend to play more "optimized" when I'm fresh and relaxed, and botchy and more "roleplay" oriented (with mostly bad results) when I'm tired or having a few drinks / hits while playing (AKA the Friday night new game).

I think that as I get better with Civ 6's various mechanics I tend towards the "optimizer" playstyle, which I don't especially like. My best moments in this game were when I was good enough to win on Emperor and up, but every game still had mistakes, twists and elements of surprise. I try to find this in every new game, which now, sadly, only rarely occurs.

Second, my guess is the majority of people generally (not just on this forum) play a mix of “playing to win”, “speed play” etc., and a bit of “roleplaying”. My guess is that this might partly be driven by not knowing how best to play optimally - I doubt most people are aware of the various strategies, tactics and “tricks” on this forum, although I am just guessing.

Yeah this probably describes my play style best. I generally try to top my fastest win times but I also go with random civs and try to tailor the game to their bonuses to the best of my ability. I'm not a very optimal player because I just find that style of play to be tedious and I just don't have the patience for it plus why even bother when you can easily win the game anyway? I don't play optimally unless I have to to win. I usually take the path of least resistance - I like to conquer but if a civ has a ton of units and defenses up then I might transition to culture or science. Sometimes I decide from the outset and other times I'll let the flow of the game dictate the victory condition or change my mind midway through. I usually win around turn 200ish or so but sometimes I'll get that down to mid 100s. I've never won a SV before turn 200 - it's just too much micromanagement and I always feel like I can just complete the domination faster so I'm not motivated to do it.

On a side note - I'm becoming quite bored with the game lately and I just don't know if it's working for me anymore. I did purchase the remaining DLC but still haven't found myself itching to play lately.

Optimal play with rules. This is what I think a lot of people are actually doing. They aim to play efficiently as possible, but they set certain rules for themselves either explicitly or implicitly. They might have rules about how they play - no war, get a religion, no spamming campuses, use navy. Or they might set rules about what counts as victory - eg get 100 envoys. Sometimes these rules or goals might be implicit, eg someone that tries playing efficiently but always likes building Indistrial Zones.

This is me. I play thematically, I always found a religion, I avoid exploiting an inept AI in war, trade, and diplomacy, I build a handful of cities and I develop them far beyond the point of diminishing returns, I build districts that bring little value to my pursuit of victory, and I pump the brakes on my progression through the tech and civics trees so I can experience each era as a distinct chapter in history. But I also meticulously map out everything from the order in which I build units, buildings, and districts to the timing in which I'll swap in or out policy cards, upgrade units, or promote governors. I'm always trying to shave turns off my time to victory without sacrificing any of the things that allow me to feel like I'm building and managing an actual empire instead of shuffling games pieces around a board.

This is me. I play thematically, I always found a religion, I avoid exploiting an inept AI in war, trade, and diplomacy, I build a handful of cities and I develop them far beyond the point of diminishing returns, I build districts that bring little value to my pursuit of victory, and I pump the brakes on my progression through the tech and civics trees so I can experience each era as a distinct chapter in history. But I also meticulously map out everything from the order in which I build units, buildings, and districts to the timing in which I'll swap in or out policy cards, upgrade units, or promote governors. I'm always trying to shave turns off my time to victory without sacrificing any of the things that allow me to feel like I'm building and managing an actual empire instead of shuffling games pieces around a board.

Interesting. Question for you (and other meticulous planners), do you actually write down notes as you play, not to forget anything? Or do you map this all out in your head only?

I play to win but I want to have fun along the way.

Then the AI just constantly harasses me and I resort to slaughtering the lot of them.

Well sometimes I play on nights where I don't work the next day and don't really have anything else going on. Sometimes the, ahem, "beverages" could possibly have something to do with my games getting less optimal as they go along in turns.

A lot of the other times, I'll start games, play them pretty well "at least for me" but then put the game down for the session. When I start up the next time I decide I want to start a new game with someone else more often than not.

I'd probably put myself as "play to win with slight rules and roleplay". Basically, when I'm playing a game, I generally go in with a desire. So if I'm playing a new leader, it's "use their abilities as best I can". Sometimes I'll go in with a bit more straightforward motive - eg. playing France, barring craziness, go for a culture victory. I try not to overtly abuse stuff like wall chop overflow, but it's not a 100% rule. If I'm, for example, rushing Petra in a perfect Petra city, I will totally sneak it in however I can.

Sometimes I'll change my thinking partway through a game. So if I see that it's probably easier to hole up and go to space rather than conquer the world, I'm not opposed to doing that in certain cases. But especially as I make my way through all the various leaders, I do try to play with what makes sense for them. I'm not going to play Norway on a landlocked map. And it does lead to some "sub-optimal" play. For example, playing as Lautaro, I'm trying to stick Chemamulls in as many places as I can, which means leaving forests around in some places rather than chopping them. I'm still not sure if I'm going to end up trying for a culture win or a science win - but even if I go science, I'm still going to try to make my land as appealing as possible and putting those improvements in as many places as I can.

I think there are only two ways no matter how you try to define it
Play to win as effective as possible
Not playing to win as effective as possible (for what ever reasons)

I think there are only two ways no matter how you try to define it
Play to win as effective as possible
Not playing to win as effective as possible (for what ever reasons)

well that's certainly a biased way of looking at it:

Playing to friend all of the green bordered civs
Not playing to friend all of the green bordered civs (for whatever reason)

It is not being sold as a game to friend green bordered civs at the moment
But I see a lot of effort by people to argue that the game should be completely changed to make it easier to friend green bordered civs because that is how they like to play it and anything else is just not "fun".

Interesting.

I may be an isolated case here, but I think one thing that your analysis of "ways of playing" overlooks is that it assumes the way you play the game is consistent from start to finish, which for me it certainly is not. This is due, for the most part, to how engaging (simply put, FUN!) the game is at various stages.

In the beginning of the game, you're far behind your AI opponents, and your options are limitless- there's all that exploration... which research paths are you going to take and which advantages that they provide are you going to emphasize? How are you going to interact with others, or will they make that decision for you? How will you place your cities? Which cities will benefit from trade routes and how much are you going to invest in getting more of them? And on and on... For me this is incredibly fun and why I like civ games far more than any other game of any genre........ at the start of the game.

From the early midgame on, you've already made your moves that are going to have, by far, the most impact on how the rest of the game plays out, and there's this mind-numbing feeling that you're just going through the motions. It's just... so.... TEDIOUS! Not only are the moves you make at this point significantly less consequential than the ones you made earlier, but many of your decisions later are already made as they're a continuation of your previous actions. To make matters worse, turns take increasingly more time to process as there are more and more units that you have to command and time between turns also takes longer as there are more AI actions taking place. This is no fun at all- I hate not seeing a game through to conclusion and as a consequence I've deleted a number of games that were well on their way to victory; it's like rage-quitting but with the opposite rationale (Instead of cursing the game for having no way to win, I'm cursing the game for having no way to lose.) I used to keep a "back-burner" save folder for games that were winning but losing interest until I deleted it because I realized I would never go back to any game in that folder.

Because of this, my "way of playing" is very different depending on what stage of the game I'm in. If it's the beginning, I'm always "playing optimally" as you put it. From mid-game on, I'm doing whatever makes the game experience the least unpleasant, which varies with my mood - sometimes role-playing, often speedrunning, and more often than not during a large percentage of the end of the game, my "way of playing" can only be described in one way- "turn-clicking."

Interesting. Question for you (and other meticulous planners), do you actually write down notes as you play, not to forget anything? Or do you map this all out in your head only?
I always have a notepad document running in the background. I don't want to get too far off topic here, but I've been having a technical problem for a while with this, and was hoping that someone here may have a solution. Ever since one of the more recent patches auto-installed, I can't alt-tab to my desktop. When I do so, the game pauses (as it always has) but then the cursor doesn't change from civ-cursor to windows-cursor, and the tab that I switch to doesn't superimpose over the civ screen as it used to. And when I click anywhere, it brings me back to the game. Anyone else have a similar problem? Solution?

It is not being sold as a game to friend green bordered civs at the moment
But I see a lot of effort by people to argue that the game should be completely changed to make it easier to friend green bordered civs because that is how they like to play it and anything else is just not "fun".
Point is you either win or you don't.

Winning "better," whether faster, more, "optimally" or whatever, is just a little side goal that's really no different than when other people that try to win while doing little side goals. It's like there's a feeling that if you're not playing to squeeze every turn, then why did you bother playing the game at all? Not directed to you, it's just been an ongoing thing throughout the history of the board.

Everything's laid out in a spreadsheet and I'll add notes as I go so I can tweak things on the next playthrough. If they work out I'll adjust my layout accordingly.

I play to win. Always. This is what's fun for me and everything else doesn't matter.

I'm certainly not a top tier player and what's optimal for me the majority of players here would probably laugh at.

As long as I'm better at the game than the last time I played I leave the game happy

Reactions: liv
oint is you either win or you don't.

Winning "better," whether faster, more, "optimally" or whatever, is just a little side goal that's really no different than when other people that try to win while doing little side goals
I think the difference is that you can discuss the first version in a strategical sense. You can logically have discussions like: Is it better to build units than wonders or is it better to build chariots or warriors. You can answer these questions one way or the other

In the second version of the game which I would call to play any other way than optimally none such discussions matter much as people will always say well industrial zones just look pretty or I find roads aesthetically pleasing or I think all civs should have a boat or...you name it. These are perfectly viable ways to play or to have fun. But in the end I think it has no point in trying to classify these in equal subgroups and say that these are really more ways to play the game than two main ways: Optimally and non optimally. The difference between these two forms are just too defining and anything else should be subgrouped under these two main headings

Top Bottom