[We the People] Mod overview

I am currently on a break from WTP while I am working on improvements (primarily AI and combat mechanics) to Advanced Civ (the *true* K-Mod successor IMHO): https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/advanced-civ.26111/

As for WTP development, there has been little activity this year but we have been steadily gaining more contributors so it's unlikely that the project will not continue. The primary issue is, once again, a shortage of programmers since it's only really me and @Nightinggale that have been actively submitting code the last year according to https://github.com/We-the-People-civ4col-mod/Mod/graphs/contributors . Having said that, of course there are other ways to contribute as well like xml and gfx so I am in no way ignoring that!

Last edited:
I uploaded a new 1 plot DLL for WTP 2.7.1.1 and you should download it here: https://github.com/We-the-People-civ4col-mod/Mod/releases/tag/2.7.1.1

There is a bug in the project configuration where it can give you a debug DLL instead of release even though you select release. I managed to compile a release (it really should be release this time) and you can get it as a standalone download. I did NOT upload new versions of the bigger files meaning you need the new file.

Hello, Thanks for wonderful mod!

Is there some way to allow colonies to be built closer (with 1 plot between them instead of 2) with 1 city radius DLL, like in original Colonization game?

Is there some way to allow colonies to be built closer (with 1 plot between them instead of 2) with 1 city radius DLL, like in original Colonization game?
Yes, but you might not like the result because the computer players will build closer too. This means you will get a lot more native settlements. Do note that custom games has a game option to allow -1 distance if you own the plots already. This means a big culture spread allows you to "fill in the blanks". This too affects the AI players.

Assets\XML\GlobalDefinesAlt.xml
Code:
    <Define>
        <DefineName>MIN_CITY_RANGE_TWO_PLOT</DefineName>
        <iDefineIntVal>3</iDefineIntVal>
    </Define>
    <Define>
        <DefineName>MIN_CITY_RANGE</DefineName>
        <iDefineIntVal>2</iDefineIntVal>
    </Define>

We are in progress of releasing the next version of WTP. This time it's 2.7.2, which stays savegame compatible with the last version. We have decided to release it as a public beta before declaring it as a stable release. It's possible that it will end up as 2.7.2 in it's current form, but for now it's 2.7.2 beta 1.

Once again it's a bugfix release rather than adding new features. We are in progress of making WTP 2.8, but it's not done yet and it won't be savegame compatible, hence why we release the savegame compatible bugfixes as 2.7.2.

Download link: https://github.com/We-the-People-civ4col-mod/Mod/releases/tag/2.7.2-beta-1

Changelog:
Spoiler :
Version 2.7.2 Beta 1

Translation Improvements:
- Translators can now use UTF-8 instead of html escapes for non-ASCII characters (doesn't actually unlock all of unicode though)
- Strings missing in a translation will now use the English string instead of crashing the game
- Ingame mod credits now mentions WTP and is much easier to translate and maintain

AI Improvements:
- #171 AI great admirals now ignore privateers
- #123 AI will now value maps higher in diplomacy if they contain unvisited villages
- #171 Fix overproduction of coastal transports
- #171 AI now no longer ignores bonuses on impassable plots when planning colony placement
- #171 AI now evaluates culture correctly

Fixes:
- #83 Fixed a crash when changing which yield to produce on a colony plot (debug mode only)
- #267 Fixed AI freezing the game (infinite loop) in some cases when splitting up a group of units
- #258 Abandoning a colony will no longer allow setting professions without paying the yield cost
- #234 Colored circles that mark goodies will now only appear if the scout(expert only) or ship can actually move into the target plot. Changed the color of the circle to green to indicate that these units may only receive benefits.
- #240 Fix bug that suggested that a boycott could be lifted during the revolution
- #171 Boosts performance by caching the visual range of the best unit instead of calculating each time
- #147 Boosts performance when trying to find a path to Europe (only look at actual Europe access plots)
- Fixed makefile bug, which caused 1 plot dll files to run in debug mode (way too slow)

Hi guys,

from the feedback I have been reading recently I believe there has been some misunderstandings about our plans. :c5unhappy:

We are currently discussing and trying to figure out the "long term vision" for WTP. :c5moves:
Where are we as a team heading to, what skills do we need on the team, what does community want, ...

Thus we also discuss new features to see if community likes them, we - the team - like them as well and if we are able find a good concept. :c5influence:
It is very likely that only some of them will ever be implemented - for some we might not find a consense for others it might be too much effort.

Also it is basically impossible that we can release all agreed new features in one public relase at once, we are working step by step. :trade:
We all still have our private lives and jobs and all of that is a lot of effort.

We also do and will continue to work on improving AI, bugfixes, performance, balancing, UI, texts ... :c5production:
We currently do nothing else and everybody in the team knows that quality needs to stay our top priority - simply not the only one.

Please do have some confidence in us - WTP will not completely be ruined by a few new features over several releases. :thumbsup:
This did not happen to TAC or RaR either. Why should it happen to WTP?

But of course we can only find out what we - team and community - want if we continue sharing our opinions openly and honestly.
So please continue to discuss with us and tell us what you think. :grouphug:

Best regards
ray

Last edited:
from the feedback I have been reading recently I believe there has been some misunderstandings about our plans.
WTP will not completely be ruined by a few new features over several releases.
I think I share at least part of the blame for the misunderstanding. Particularly regarding the tech tree I wrote in a way where I expect the reader to have some understanding of how you create a mod. I can see how it can create all sorts of misunderstandings for people who don't know what goes in which file inside a mod.

Think of it this way. Imagine you have a pile of lego blocks. You take some and build something. Not only do you only use say 20%, the ones you use can be put together in a near infinite number of ways. Then somebody adds a lot of blocks of different shapes to the pile and say "can you make something else now?". You then use a combination of the new and old blocks and build a spaceship, but while you are given that option, you can still build the house you built from the start because none of the blocks have been removed and if or how you use the new blocks is completely up to you.

The same goes with modding. We have one dll file, which is written in C++. The mod contains a bunch of xml files, which makes use of the features offered in the dll file to shape the game. To compare it to the lego analogy, the dll file is the pile of blocks while the xml files are where you actually build something.

What I have done is saying "I can add support for this in the dll file with a reasonable amount of work. Can we figure out if we can use it in xml to improve the game?". This means what I wrote isn't directly what I want the future mod to be. Instead it's an input to the debate regarding what we can accomplish through xml and which direction we want to take the mod.

For instance based on what I wrote we could add a tech, which reduces the build time of farms by 1 turn. The very same dll code can be used to make a founding father or leader trait make pioneers build roads twice as fast. It can also be used to make an era make cutting down forests faster. This is all reuse of the same C++ code, which is configured differently in xml.

Nothing has been decided and I'm not sure it would be a good idea to add everything I wrote. However I had to write it because first step in figuring out what we want to set as our goals would be to figure out what we can do from a programming point of view.

Also a worst case scenario, we can add a game option, which provides all techs to all players or gives a special tech, which unlocks everything or something like that. It would requiring balancing two different conditions, which wouldn't be ideal for the modders, but I think it would be technically possible and an option if we end up in the for and against groups for adding techs to the game. It would be better to figure out a single solution everybody agrees on though.

We don't want to ruin the mod, but at the same time we don't want to not be able to improve anything because somebody might not like the change. It's a tricky situation, which is one of the reasons we need a public debate on what we actually want to do.

You guys haven't failed the loyal players yet, so I doubt any of expect you will.

Where to download releases
GitHub release page.

While I understand how the full releases are downloaded, could perhaps someone tell me how to get the beta download?
Nightingale wrote on the page
https://github.com/We-the-People-civ4col-mod/Mod/releases
to get the rar instead of the zip, but is there a simple way to click to get the rar as I see none?
If that might be the cause: I can not sign in to GitHub, as I use the ESR version of Firefox that is considered obsolete and thus not accepted by Github.

Edit: Oh, I just have to click on Assets to reveal the rar...

Last edited:
Holy crap guys, every year or so I come back here to check how the community's doing, expecting to see dead ends and links, but every time I'm blown away by the passion you guys have for this game. I just followed the git, and while I'm just starting my career out of uni, I hope that one day soon I can start contributing to you guys in any way I can. I love this game, and obviously everyone still here loves what you guys keep doing. I'll give the mod a play! Wish me luck

Hi all,
I'm brand new here and I'm wondering if this mod has some sort of manual somewhere? There are so many changes to vanilla some explanations of the new systems are needed.
Thanks

Hi MrUnlad,

basically most is explained in "Colopedia".
(We keep it up to date with every new feature and game mechanic.)

We had once a supporter who tried to create a Wiki (for RaR) but it was abandoned - because of lack of participation from others.
We have asked a couple of times for experienced players of the mod if they would like to start a thread here in the forum with a guide or a strategy but nobody volunteered yet.

Also, WTP is still in development and several new features will be developed over time.
(But RaR - the mod WTP is based on - already introduced lots of new features of course.)

So basically all I can suggest:

A) Simply give it a try and experiment a bit. You will figure out most of the features
B) Read a bit in Colopedia from time to time
C) Also check Religion and Revolution forum, since WTP is based on RaR.
D) If you have questions, please start a new thread "Questions on WTP game concepts" and ask whatever you like. :thumbsup:
E) Maybe somebody in community wants to start a "WTP strategies and guides" thread as well. :dunno:

Last edited:
Holy crap guys, every year or so I come back here to check how the community's doing, expecting to see dead ends and links, but every time I'm blown away by the passion you guys have for this game.
I love this game, and obviously everyone still here loves what you guys keep doing.
Yeah, that is why this forum is called "Civ Fanatics". :lol:

I'll give the mod a play! Wish me luck
Have fun playing. :thumbsup:

I hope that one day soon I can start contributing to you guys in any way I can.
New modders are always very welcome. :)
By the way, not everybody needs to be a programmer. There are other ways to contribute as well.

New modders are always very welcome. :)
By the way, not everybody needs to be a programmer. There are other ways to contribute as well.
In fact there is an obvious task to point to right now.

I'm wondering if this mod has some sort of manual somewhere?
We have the documentation people have written, meaning if we want somebody better, somebody has to write it. We should make some modding introduction to give an idea of what kind of skills it takes to do anything related to modding. Since there are different tasks, the required skillset differs greatly. Nobody has the skills needed to do every single task, meaning this is a question of teamwork. Also there are tasks, which requires very little technical skills.

One task I can think of, which isn't ready yet is the widescreen support in the colony screen. The outdoor plots part has an incorrect offset at some resolutions. Once this is fixed, somebody should go through all the resolutions in both 1 and 2 plot to see if it behaves well in all of them. This is a task, which is more about available time than it is about skills. I'm sure we can find more such tasks should there be people who are interested in helping out with low skill tasks.

Also adding what might be obvious to some, but not all: the game supports being translated. This will require at least one translator for each language.

Yeah, that is why this forum is called "Civ Fanatics". :lol:
Wait a minute. We are Fanatics ??? :eek:
This is horrible. We named the mod incorrectly because we assumed we are people. The mod should really be called "We The Fanatics".

Great.... just great. Now we have the new task of changing every single WTP to WTF :cry:

Wait a minute. We are Fanatics ??? :eek:
This is horrible. We named the mod incorrectly because we assumed we are people. The mod should really be called "We The Fanatics".

Great.... just great. Now we have the new task of changing every single WTP to WTF :cry:

We are old fashioned fanatics (who do not use a fon but a phone and do not have fantasy but Phantasy), so Phanatics. WTP fits again. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom