1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[We the People] Mod overview

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Nightinggale, Sep 24, 2018.

1. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

Currently it is a bit tough. :c5unhappy:

See, Covid 19 does affect our private lifes (e.g. personal health, family, friends and job).
    In such situations it is really hard to find motivation for modding because people are worried with much more important things.

Some team members are sick themselves. :sad:
    And modding - thus trying to be concentrated - is not really the best or most fun thing to do then ...

An important bugfixes is simply still in work.
    We will inform community and publish a release as soon as the bug is fixed.

We are really trying to at least make and show a bit of progress from time to time.

Summary:
    Just like the rest of the world, we are currently experiencing a crisis.
    This does not mean however that we should simply give up - we will survive this together.
    Please have some patience though. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    AnAmericanCommunist likes this.
  2. oldmole1984

oldmole1984 Chieftain

In medieval Italy, when the plague stormed, men and women gathered indoors to quell the anxiety with interesting stories. ("Decameron")

Now we are doing the same by the game.

3. ork75

ork75 Prince

Don't actually have CivCol yet, waiting for steam sale and work to calm down, but got hooked on the game by watching Cueball on twitch, and I'd love to help.

I have a tiny bit of programming experience but likely not applicable, BUT I do speak native english as well decent Russian, and could definitely help on the Russian translation if more people are needed there.

Idk how much time i'll have for the next week or two but after that!

Nightinggale and raystuttgart like this.
  4. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

Nice to hear that the twitch videos generate a bit of attention and interest. :)
    @lethiel , @Cueball252 : Thanks. :thumbsup:

And yes, Civ4Col with Mods (like WTP - which is the biggest and most advanced Civ4Col mod) is actually a really good game - even though it is old (from 2008).
    Do not play it without any mods though - it will be a bit disappointing if you e.g. know the original Colonization from 1994.

Well, programming experience e.g. C++ (or any other programming language) really helps to get started. The rest is simply patience, time and motivation. :thumbsup:
    To get really good in Civ4Col modding it simply takes some time to become experienced. Most of us old modders only did really simple stuff in the beginning as well.

Simply try to get started with an improvement or feature you would like to do for yourself and learn by doing and looking at existing code examples if you are motivated to invest the time. :)
    If you run into problems, just ask one of the other modders. Ideally questions should be specific though.

Well, we would like to have a full Russian translation one day. :)
    Ideally you could contact @Nightinggale and @Mr. ZorG for that topic, since they are planning to work on it.

But other things like e.g. helping us with testing internal releases help as well. :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  5. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I highly recommend the GOG version instead. The reason is that Steam has added some DRM, which is prone to problems when using mods. GOG has a no DRM policy. Sadly the 75% discount just ended :(

Pretty much this. The main problem regarding doing everything we want isn't difficulty, but rather time. This means there are tasks, which nobody works on due to time rather than difficulty level. We are also open for new ideas. We can likely always find "entry level" difficulty tasks as long as you have the time and motivation.

6. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

I did not know about DRM. at least I had no problems except with the translation)

and by the way, about discounts. in Russian Steam, just Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization sells for $ 8, while Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition (including Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization) costs only $ 2.5. maybe @ ork75 is worth a look and in your Steam the cost of the same collection?

7. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

We The People 2.8 Released

We dropped savegame compatibility this time because it's restrictive regarding what we could add. If you are playing a game right now, finish it before upgrading.

Download link

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Schmiddie, Mr. ZorG, Renera and 2 others like this.
  8. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Fixed. Releasing consist of a surprisingly long list of tasks, which has to be done and each can fail. I verified most of the process, but I admit I forgot to actually check the link itself. If I copy paste the URL, then check? Well take nothing for granted.

At least it doesn't look like I screwed up anything important.

raystuttgart likes this.
  9. Tugboatspotter

Tugboatspotter Warlord

Thanks for 2.8. No problems using the 2 city plot dll with Steam so far.

Edit: Since it is not save game compatible, I think it would make sense to re-upload this with 2 city plot dll as default.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  10. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

It should be with the 2 plot dll by default. Admittedly I forgot to mention that we switched.

11. Boby

Boby Chieftain

Hello!
    thank you very much for the update, great job.
    I have a small problem, I can't open the We.The.People.2.8.rar file, the error message "unknown or corrupted file format". I just downloaded it from the new link.
    thank you so much.

12. shahballs

shahballs Chieftain

Hi guys thanks for the great mod.
    Not sure if it's been fixed, but on a previous version I was still being taxed in Europe full rate even when I used the smuggler's ship.
    (unrelated-anyone who wants to play multiplayer please PM me!)

13. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I just downloaded and tested. The file is fine. You must have an issue regarding reading rar files. Either fix this (download winrar or similar) or download the zip file I just uploaded. Yes the zip file is bigger, hence why I picked rar, but at least zip should work out of the box for everybody.

14. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

странно, но мой zip-файл оказался на 100 МБ меньше, чем rar-файл ...

15. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Prince Supporter

I had a similar problem. Downloaded the .rar file 3 times without errors. Trying to open it either gave the same error about corrruption of the file that Boby mentioned, or asked for a password from me. The .zip file on the other hand downloaded and extracted perfectly.

I´m using the free Peazip program.

16. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Warlord

use 7zip and enjoy. he opens any archives, including rar.
    I had no problems opening the rar archive.

edit: the only thing I found out was a very long wait for the computer to move on the big map (more than 10 seconds, according to my feelings). so long before was not even when tested.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  17. PPanda0421

PPanda0421 Chieftain

Probably the issue is with the Peazip program or other programs that might not support .rar files 100%. I have WinRar installed on Windows 10 and I was able to extract that rar file perfectly.

I also have winzip which gives me a message:
    'Cannot open file 'We.The.People.2.8.rar'. It does not appear to be a valid archive. If you downloaded this file, try downloading the file again.

Again each compression/decompressing program might give a different error message if it does not support .RAR files.

18. Diegozubi

Diegozubi Chieftain

Great news of a new release with new features! it has been a long time since I played the game last time and I always enter here (As I used to do in TAC , RAR and RARE forums) to check for new releases before starting a new game.
    You all are awesome.
    Thanks!

raystuttgart likes this.
  19. Colonization2020

Colonization2020 Chieftain

Hello

I'm a old player in the Civilization and Colonization saga. I am eager to try this new version. Where can I learn what steps I need to take?

I have a Mac computer.

Do I have to buy the Colonization game first? Where? What do I have to do next to play R&R?

Thank you in advance

20. Tjalvin

Tjalvin Chieftain

You guys rock.

I loved the original Colonization game. I still play it once in a while.

I started playing civ4col a few times only to feel so let down. I came across WTP in an attempt to find a mod to address the lack of custom house.

What you have created here has made me so happy. The game is now amazing and finally made Civ4col into a worthy successor to the 1994 version.

I love almost every aspect of the game, but lament the lack of a wiki or something similar. I might volunteer my services to such an endeavour a little later. Without a guide of some sort the learning curve was somewhat steep.

I like the stance you have taken on controversial issues like slavery preferring historical accuracy over modern day political correctness. After all governments have always and sometimes still use unethical and/or morally questionable solutions as tools to accomplish their goals.

The expanded products and goods available was a little overwhelming at first, but add so much flavour to the game (like salt and spices and pun was intended). Port Royal was a great solution to trade embargoes ( raise my tax to one percent, how dare you.)

Seriously Firaxis has released a vastly inferior product compared with the 1994 Colonization. They have a thing or two (or twenty) to learn from you keep up the good work.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020